Rank II

Enthusiast III

Seattle, WA, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Clark
Hi folks!

So I've got a cargo basket, and I'll need to mount my full-size spare tire up there, probably my Plano case, my shovel, etc. However, I haven't seen anything used to mount items other than straps. What am I missing? Or do I just need to get some U-bolts...?

Reactions: Shahn

chanceboarder

Rank III

Enthusiast I

Los Angeles, CA, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Refuerzo
Member #

Yakima makes a spare tire carrier that connects to the basket and then bolts the tire down to it. It's nice because you can lock it if you need the extra security. I'm actually going to sell mine as I just got a rear tire swing and no longer running my spare on the roof. This is one of the only off the shelf solutions I've seen aside from the straps which I've also used and can't care for much.

zgfiredude

Rank VI

Steward I

Silt, CO, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Nichols
Member #

Service Branch
Firefighter
Look for something called "cable clamps" or "P clamps". They are shaped like the letter P and have an attachment hole at the tip of the P. They come is plastic and stainless steel and all different sizes. Usually the metal ones have rubber inside the circle part.

LINK

CafeRoaster

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Seattle, WA, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Clark
Yakima makes a spare tire carrier that connects to the basket and then bolts the tire down to it. It's nice because you can lock it if you need the extra security. I'm actually going to sell mine as I just got a rear tire swing and no longer running my spare on the roof. This is one of the only off the shelf solutions I've seen aside from the straps which I've also used and can't care for much.

I've looked at these, but wonder if a cover would fit over it.

ChadHahn

Rank III

Advocate I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Chad
Last Name
Hahn
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC0POB
I snagged some Quick Fists before without realizing they didn't have hardware to mount. I'd have to spend more to figure out how to mount it than the Fists were themselves. Hah.
I didn't know that. I'll have to check into that before I actually purchase some.

ChadHahn

Rank III

Advocate I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Chad
Last Name
Hahn
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC0POB
I've also seen people use these:
I can't remember where I saw it but someone did a write up about adding these to their roof rack.

If you're like me and Amazon links don't show up I posted a link to Lumax LX-1188 Silver 6.00" x 6.50" x 1.375" Shovel Bracket

Reactions: CafeRoaster

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
i have a cargo basket on my camper shell and i use tube clamps to mount to the side of the basket for light mounts and shovel mounts, etc. and i generally use ratchet straps to cinch down loads that i need access to fairly often and for long term storage, like my LP tank, i will use hook bolts to attach to the tank and then nut it to a piece of flat bar with a hole drilled in it that grabs under the basket. works great. i just avoid the cam straps as i dont trust them as well as a ratchet strap

1633273784764.jpeg1633273891778.jpeg

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
I considered using E-Track items, but it looks like they're meant to be used in a manner that relies on gravity to keep items in place.
whatever you use...be sure to check it regularly. i did a lot of bouncing off-road around big bend and my totes did move around a lot even with the straps tight. a few months back, we were in utah and i caught something fly off the truck in my side mirror...come to find out, my 50w solar panel lost its mount in the cargo basket and flew off. just glad it didnt hit a car behind me...
i used harbor freight tie-wraps as a quick mount and won't be doing that again

CafeRoaster

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Seattle, WA, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Clark
I have a cheapo Curt roof rack, and sometimes you have to get creative. I have this mount for my shovel, and then I have one of these for my hi-lift. I was able to mount an awning as well with a little creativity, and I usually just ratchet strap my recovery boards in the actual basket.
I got the Quick Fists on using zip ties. I'll just ratchet strap other items to the roof basket. I'll experiment with the full size spare using either ratchet straps or rubber tarp straps. I've got enough to play around.

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Super old picture but I use Fourtreks mounts to mount thing in and all around the outside of my basket. Awning, 3 tools w/Quickfists, hi lift base, propane tank, etc.. They’re pricey but I’ve never had to worry about losing anything. Rock solid mounts since the day I installed them.

832ECBFE-2447-459F-A4B1-BDE4B866789A.jpeg