Enthusiast II

Riverbank, CA, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Silveira
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6SDB
I need to mount an iPad, a cell phone and a Spot X. Any brand recommendations? I'm looking for a sturdy mount that can handle off road bumps and vibrations.

Reactions: K12

K12

Rank VII

Endurance III

Idaho, United States
First Name
Beau
Last Name
K12
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force
Bulletproof Mounting Solutions has great stuff. I have a 7" tablet, switch (for all my lights/air compressor, etc.), and a backup camera for thr HQ19. Never had a problem with anything slipping or falling even on washboard roads.

Reactions: Bwana

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
I have been using almost only RAM mount solutions for such applications for years. RAM X-Grip for the cell phone or a special mount inclusve power supply for my Galaxy Tab etc. Plus the usual mounting options (balls, arms, extensions, etc.). Am very happy with the parts, they are robust and also handle vibrations and stuff like that on corrugated routes well.

20210423_130040.jpg

20210423_130113.jpg

RAM_1.JPG

RAM_phone.JPG

Reactions: Jim SoG and Bwana

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

I have 67 Designs and Bulletpoint, both work very well the Bulletpoint thumbscrew wrench is a vastly superior tool but also built by the ChiComs. If 67 Designs had a base for new generation Ram trucks I would only be able to speak to their quality, not Bulletpoint.

Whatever you choose, don't mount shit in front of an airbag, a tablet or phone at 800fps is undesirable. I see stuff mounted in front of airbags in Jeeps all the time

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Whatever you choose, don't mount shit in front of an airbag, a tablet or phone at 800fps is undesirable. I see stuff mounted in front of airbags in Jeeps all the time
Very good point (in case you have airbags)! And just to add, I often see stuff mounted in front of the hazard warning switch what should also absolutely not be done.

Reactions: Bwana and bgenlvtex

rho

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

SF bae area
First Name
Juliette
Last Name
Penning
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AG6YB
This is a fantistic point a lot of folks miss, I feel. The passenger side of jeeps tends to attract stuff right over the airbag...

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

This is a fantistic point a lot of folks miss, I feel. The passenger side of jeeps tends to attract stuff right over the airbag...
You run out of real estate quickly inside any vehicle, but Jeeps in particular.

I just don't think that most people realize that entire flat panel above the jockey box dismounts when an airbag deploys.

Peoples solution is to turn off the passenger airbag which serves the purpose of not turning a tablet into a projectile, but obviously negates the protection afforded by the bag itself. Also, it is likely that if you disconnect your battery, or it runs down, the default selection for the bag when you power back up is "on", so even if you did turn it off, it may not still be off.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
X2 on Ram mounts. Been running those solutions forever.

Speaking of air bags, Years ago, I had a customer come in with a small car, dual airbags. She was sporting a "hat pin" collection on a dash pad. The passenger air bag was covered. The driver air bag had them stuck into the air bag cover. I spoke with her on this and she bit off my head. "That's ridiculous, I've never heard that". She said, I was (for what ever reason) was trying to scare her. She complained to my manager and never returned.

I was one of the only tech's will all the air bag certs. I was the guy who had to dispose of them. The explosive device had to be detonated first. people don't understand the power behind those. In one of my early classes I was shown pictures of injuries caused by people playing with them. I saw a hospital pic of a guys mangled legs. He put one under a metal bucket and detonated it to to launch himself. The lower half of his body accelerated faster than his upper half, breaking his legs. Literally mangled.
I mount nothing in front of those.

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
I use an Xgrip for my tablet, which is primary for navigation. My cell phone is held with a magnet on the third can. It can do backup nav if needed, and still be reasonable to look at.

826E9D2F-2E69-40F4-A95B-760BC7BB4BCB.jpeg

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I love my Lido Mounts. They offer both vehicle specific mounts as well as universal mounts for everything from cell phones to gps devices to amateur radio.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
I built mine because $200. LOL I encourage everyone to learn to fabricate
Same here.
My wife would say "why don't you just buy what you need instead of trying to build it?"
1. No one makes exactly what I need and I wont settle.
2. Making it yourself is so much more fun.

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

North American Sojourner

Rank VI

Influencer I

Mid-Missouri, MO, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Zimmer
Member #

Service Branch
USN (ret)
Looks awesome and I generally agree.

I am an undocumented engineer with a degree in CAD (cardboard aided design), but some stuff isn't worth the time and effort, others very much is.
I will tell you making that thing was the easy part. Screwing it down to the useless "dash tray" was almost impossible, and I have at least $30,000 in tools. What I really needed was a hammer to break out the windshield...ahahahahahahahhaha
Zim

freak4life

Local Expert

Contributor II

Cañon City, Colorado, USA
First Name
rich
Last Name
anderssohn

This is what I use, works really well and they have great customer service.

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

I have run Ram Xgrip for my phone and while it was ok I didn't like the two-handed operation. I used the same mount to try and hold the control head for my HF ham radio and it would rotate, which was undesirable.
For my phone and 10" tablet I now run Schoch Magnetic flush mounts on homemade brackets, and they have held great. I use one for my phone mounted off the sunvisor clip near the rearview mirror and use two for the tablet. I also like the low profile when not in use.

Advtres

Rank VI
Investor

Steward I

Hollister, CA, USA
First Name
Lizabeth
Last Name
Deliriumskid
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6STB
I use Expedition Essentials accessory mount, my hubby liked it so much I got one for his Silverado.
Pretty straight forward to install, holds the iPad, my iPhone, GoPro and mic. Everything is super stable, the ram mounts attach directly to it and it has the added USB ports (2).

Bwana

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Riverbank, CA, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Silveira
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6SDB
Thanks for all the great suggestions. I have owned a RAM mount before and was very happy with it. Has anyone used Mob Armor? They are used in side by sides , seems to be a really heavy duty iPad mount. I'll probably get a RAM. The hard part is finding a way to mount it so it doesn't bounce when I charging down bumpy forestry roads.