Dr Gil

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Fort Collins, CO, USA
First Name
Gil
Last Name
Kajiki
This is an awesome unique product, and as I get older, I need more creature comforts to make my camping experiences more enjoyable.

Quick Pitch En Suite privacy tent.

I currently have a Lightspeed pop up, but I don't like the hassles of deploying, staking it down, and packing it up. This solves all those problems, plus more smaller inconveniences.

I have a Gamiviti rack and I used his awning receiver female part to attach to the roof rack. The male portion I had him custom build for me so I can easily remove it. For the fabric to hang down vertically I have to be 11" out from the receiver end to clear the fender flares.

I bought the soft bag model instead of the box because I didn't want a permanent mount. I reinforced the mount with a 72"x3"x1/4" aluminum bar that I cut to size and I drilled holes into and attached to the backing of the arms (inside the bag). I had to put in a plastic wedge to angle up the arms so they would be level.

Future plan is to use an Eccotemp L5, power with a power outlet to my auxillary battery, propane tank in a milk crate on top of the roof rack and water source from Sceptor water tanks.

Attachments

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

This is an awesome unique product, and as I get older, I need more creature comforts to make my camping experiences more enjoyable.

Quick Pitch En Suite privacy tent.

I currently have a Lightspeed pop up, but I don't like the hassles of deploying, staking it down, and packing it up. This solves all those problems, plus more smaller inconveniences.

I have a Gamiviti rack and I used his awning receiver female part to attach to the roof rack. The male portion I had him custom build for me so I can easily remove it. For the fabric to hang down vertically I have to be 11" out from the receiver end to clear the fender flares.

I bought the soft bag model instead of the box because I didn't want a permanent mount. I reinforced the mount with a 72"x3"x1/4" aluminum bar that I cut to size and I drilled holes into and attached to the backing of the arms (inside the bag). I had to put in a plastic wedge to angle up the arms so they would be level.

Future plan is to use an Eccotemp L5, power with a power outlet to my auxillary battery, propane tank in a milk crate on top of the roof rack and water source from Sceptor water tanks.
These have been getting a good bit of play in expedition vehicle circles. Thanks for the links!

Reactions: The Lone Overlander

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

Yep, that's a wonderful shower/toilet tent! I've been seeing it on several forums over the past few months. But at $500-650, I think I've stick with my CVT version of your Lightspeed for a while. I'm sure someone will eventually copy it. It doesn't look like it would be that difficult to make.

Dr Gil

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Fort Collins, CO, USA
First Name
Gil
Last Name
Kajiki
Yep, that's a wonderful shower/toilet tent! I've been seeing it on several forums over the past few months. But at $500-650, I think I've stick with my CVT version of your Lightspeed for a while. I'm sure someone will eventually copy it. It doesn't look like it would be that difficult to make.
It doesn't look like it's that difficult to make, "from a distance". I pondered the same question. But when you see it up close, you can't make one item for that type of quality for that price. The devil is in the details.

Zel

Rank II
Launch Member

Member II

Beaver, Utah
Member #

I have one also. Yes it's expensive, but it fills a need for me. I have developed a strong dislike of the small privacy tents. I'm using a pair of Gobi Jack mounts for now but will try to find a better solution.

The main thing is it's very quick to set up and take down. and it gets another item out of my limited Jeep space.

Attachments

ArkansasDon

Rank V
Launch Member

Member I

I like the concept but to have shower water (muddy areas) or human waste that close to camp is a issue for me. Another is having more "cluder" attach to my overland trailer is something of a concern to me.

I use the Ozark Trail 2 Room Instant Privacy Shelter. Sets up fast & takes down just as fast. I have 2 separate rooms as of showering & bathroom w\plenty of room to move around. It stores nicely in my overland trailer w\o taking up a lot of room.
035.JPG

Last edited:

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

I like the concept but to have shower water (muddy areas) or human waste that close to camp is a issue for me. Another is having more "cluder" attach to my overland trailer is something of a concern to me.

I use the Ozark Trail 2 Room Instant Privacy Shelter. Sets up fast & takes down just as fast. I have 2 separate rooms as of showering & bathroom w\plenty of room to move around. It stores nicely in my overland trailer w\o taking up a lot of room.
View attachment 53837
I have and use the same shower/toilet tent and have found it really useful and very inexpensive. WalMart Ozark for $79.00, I think, when I got mine. One of the best deals out there, really.

I can see the advantage of the one posted, though, for beach, surfing, and quick stops where it will not impact the surroundings by draining a mess of waste water.

For general camping, however, especially stays of more than a night, I greatly prefer the mobility of the one I have and agree with @ArkansasDon .

Tip for those considering a shower tent: If camping overnight in organized campgrounds, state or national parks, and even some dispersed camping, many have rules about gray water from camp and dish-washing not running just anywhere and may ask that you either don't shower at your site or that you contain the shower water with a tub. So many people have not used bio-degradable soap in the past that the run-off and phosphates etc from showers and dish sink have affected local vegetation, wildlife, and water tables in negative ways.

Even if there aren't local rules, it is certainly something to consider. Dr Bronner's Soap is usually available widely, is multi-purpose, and is bio-degradable.

ArkansasDon

Rank V
Launch Member

Member I

another issue I & the wife came across for years is human waste. Whether were out of state hunting or overlanding to disperse camping @ a sites we came across were this issue isn't taken seriously & can result in contaminated water supplies and soils. Human faeces carry harmful micro-organisms like Giardia is a parasite which can survive in cold water as well cold weather conditions.

Last edited: