Kingman, Arizona, United States
First Name
JASON
Last Name
SMITH
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRUH443
I'm planning a trip to Northern Montana from Arizona. Our destination is Flathead Lake but I'm looking for must-take trails, camping spots, and places to see. I'm under a ten day time limit for the trip. i'll be in my Ram 1500 and will have another Ram 2500 following. Neither is modified so I'm limited to firetrails/dirt roads. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Reactions: Kent R

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
That area of Montana is awesome, we had a great spot when we did the Continental Divide Trail just north of Flathead and it is on the map.

If you go up through ID, BLM has lots of sites on the Salmon River.

I am moving this conversation to trip planning so you get more traction.

Reactions: BeardedOverland

David C Gibbs

Rank VI

Member III

Boise, Idaho
First Name
David
Last Name
Gibbs
Member #

Hello Jason,
While Highway 93 is a straight shot to Salmon, I would suggest a detour either going up or on the return trip. Going up Highway 93 - takes you through Ketchum/Sun Valley, over the Galena Summit into the Sawtooth Valley, Stanley, along the Salmon River, and then into Montana to Missula, North to Flathead. The trip around Hungry House Res is worth it. The trip up to Polebridge and into Bowman Lake is worth it. On your return - consider taking Highway 12, up and over Lolo Pass, dropping you into the Bitterroots, Lochsa, Selway, and Clearwater rivers. Take 95 South to the Whitebird grade, Seven Devil Mtns, Riggins. At New Meadows - you have a choice to stay on 95, or take a left onto 55 up and over to McCall, and parts of the Payette River drainage, into Eagle... There is lots of topography to see and experience. David

BeardedOverland

Rank VI

Off-Road Ranger I

Kingman, Arizona, United States
First Name
JASON
Last Name
SMITH
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRUH443
Hello Jason,
While Highway 93 is a straight shot to Salmon, I would suggest a detour either going up or on the return trip. Going up Highway 93 - takes you through Ketchum/Sun Valley, over the Galena Summit into the Sawtooth Valley, Stanley, along the Salmon River, and then into Montana to Missula, North to Flathead. The trip around Hungry House Res is worth it. The trip up to Polebridge and into Bowman Lake is worth it. On your return - consider taking Highway 12, up and over Lolo Pass, dropping you into the Bitterroots, Lochsa, Selway, and Clearwater rivers. Take 95 South to the Whitebird grade, Seven Devil Mtns, Riggins. At New Meadows - you have a choice to stay on 95, or take a left onto 55 up and over to McCall, and parts of the Payette River drainage, into Eagle... There is lots of topography to see and experience. David
Thank you! Just what I was looking for.

MrWilsonWJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Kennewick, WA
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

Hello Jason,
I was going to suggest something similar to this but save a couple of days to hit all or part of the Lolo Motorway instead of Highway 12. Never been on it but hear it is doable in a stock 4x4 and gets you a little more time on dirt.

David C Gibbs

Rank VI

Member III

Boise, Idaho
First Name
David
Last Name
Gibbs
Member #

Hello Jason,
I was going to suggest something similar to this but save a couple of days to hit all or part of the Lolo Motorway instead of Highway 12. Never been on it but hear it is doable in a stock 4x4 and gets you a little more time on dirt.
Been on it, and yes it is doable in a stock truck. Just no flyfishing! DG

Xplorer48

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Bellingham, WA
Member #

Hello Jason,
From near Challis, Idaho off 93, you can drive up Morgan Creek Road to the pass of the same name , Panther Creek Road is the road after the pass but same route, then turn east onto Salmon River Road. Last September, we had the place to ourselves as rafting season was done. Beautiful easy drive on gravel until partway on the Salmon River Road. On that road is a stop that features Native American rock art.
Ditto Lolo Pass. Beautiful drive esp heading east into Montaba where you can stop along the road to take photos on the pullouts. Check out deVoe Giants featuring ancient cedars on both sides of 12.