Rank V

Explorer I

Concord CA
First Name
Roger
Last Name
Fielding
Member #

Most regrettably and unhappily I need to bow out and withdraw from this trip. I hope another person may join the group in my place. Hoping to catch all on another trip or a future Mojave Road Clean-up in the future.

Reactions: GeoBon and Kent R

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Most regrettably and unhappily I need to bow out and withdraw from this trip. I hope another person may join the group in my place. Hoping to catch all on another trip or a future Mojave Road Clean-up in the future.
Please change your RSVP, thanks!

Reactions: Roger 2486

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Final update prior to the October 23, 2021 Trail Guardian Event.

Please make sure you read all the material in the earlier two messages, also. They were sent Tuesday October 12.

We are encouraging members to check out other areas of the Mojave Preserve to reduce impact on the Mojave Road this weekend. If you have already been on the Mojave Road, I would ask you to explore other areas of the Preserve. (detailed in first message)

Everyone is asked to be at Thomas Place Base Camp by Friday night, we will make work assignments on Saturday Morning.

Weather for the area;
Currently there is a 0% chance of precipitation on Saturday.
Thursday
Mostly sunny, with a high near 76.
Thursday Night
Partly cloudy, with a low around 48.
Friday
Mostly sunny, with a high near 79.
Friday Night
Mostly clear, with a low around 49.
Saturday
Mostly sunny, with a high near 75.
Saturday Night
Partly cloudy, with a low around 48.
Sunday
Mostly sunny, with a high near 73.

Saturday work day;
We have three project locations; all of them are able to be completed within one work day. All of these locations are remote with NO bathroom facilities. You will need to bring personal safety equipment with you to the sites. Work gloves, work boots, and a long sleeve shirt is recommended. Bring your snacks/lunch and drinks.

Zzyzx Road - Tom Butler will have two crews working separate projects in the area. First is to install steel cable to the concrete bollards that have been pre-positioned by NPS over the last several weeks, NPS will be at the site by 0900 hrs to install a concrete anchor at each end and help with rolling out the cable.

Second will be a group working with the preserve’s Physical Scientist to erase illegal two-tracks leading to the wilderness area.

These are the most impactful projects we have. The cable barriers will help keep illegal off-road access to a minimum. Erasing the illegal two-tracks will eliminate a sight track, so that people don’t think there is a trail where there isn't one. This helps keep legal tracks open!!

Members traveling to Zzyzx Road should top off fuel tanks at Cima Road and Highway 15 (35.44370 -115.67432) at the end of the day, prior to coming back to base camp.

Kessler Ranch - Mike Keith will have a crew install corrugated metal roofing on the 1900’s barn that is on the site, very near the location of the barn that was taken down in April. Mike has his crew assigned and briefed on the tools they need to bring.

Mojave Desert Land Trust properties - Bob Brann will lead two cleanups in the Cima area, one at Cima and another up higher on the dome up Cima Road. NPS will have the stake-bed truck and another vehicle to move debris to the dumpsters. Park Archaeologist David Nichols will be at the sites to help figure out what is an artifact and what is junk.

Cima Dumpster - Tim Leto will be the lead at the dumpsters. Material will be moved to the dumpster area by stake-bed, and from the truck to dumpsters by hand.

This is a hazardous work area due to the location being right next to the roadway. Safety vests must be worn by everyone at this location and we are hoping for some help from NPS Law for traffic safety and signage. This is also a great place to make contact with people traveling the preserve and tell them about our Trail Guardian Program and the Tread Lightly principles.

Roger 2486

Rank V

Explorer I

Concord CA
First Name
Roger
Last Name
Fielding
Member #

It looks like I’m out… The LX470 has lost its power brakes… I’m stuck in Hanford with the vehicle at the large Toyota Dealership. Hopefully I’ll get it fixed today but more likely next week…
Most sorry to hear Russ. Hope an easy and quick fix.

Last edited:

RAMf1

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Castro Valley, Alameda County, California, United States
First Name
Russell
Last Name
Miller
Member #

ABS actuator has failed… 4 days to get the part plus a day to install and bleed the system. The cost is $4600… but you gotta have brakes, right? They gave me a Tacoma loaner so I just drove it back to the Bay Area. Hopefully I’ll be able to pick the LX470 up by the end of next week so I can get ready for Death Valley.