Mogollon Rim AZ

• HTML tutorial

Enthusiast II

Goodyear, AZ, USA
First Name
Parker
Last Name
Jamison
So I’ve started route planning for a trip at a date to be determined a cross the Mogollon Rim between Morenci to Camp Verde. Wondering if any one has done some thing similar and has any suggestions. I’m still an Overland noob so I’ll take any and all advice and input. Thanks all!

Reactions: freak4life

freak4life

Local Expert

Contributor II

Cañon City, Colorado, USA
First Name
rich
Last Name
anderssohn
So I’ve started route planning for a trip at a date to be determined a cross the Mogollon Rim between Morenci to Camp Verde. Wondering if any one has done some thing similar and has any suggestions. I’m still an Overland noob so I’ll take any and all advice and input. Thanks all!
Hello Parker
I personally stay off camping on any reservation, I always carry and that has the potential for serious issues.
If you don’t carry and plan on staying on any reservation check first with the tribe for any permits needed.
I love the salt river canyon area. If you want to fish a little there are some beautiful lakes on top of the rim, Chevelon canyon being a favorite. However for Chevelon you have to hike down to it because you can not drive to the edge. One of the prettiest lakes up there is Canyon lake, it also is the most popular so expect more people there. If you are in the Showlow/ Pinetop area and want to fish you have options for lake or stream. I have fished Big lake and Cresent lake a lot and for stream fishing the little Colorado and below Big lake there is a place called Three forks.
Once you get close to the Camp Verde area there is a stream called West Clear creek that has some really pretty areas. Check out those below, yes off the top of the rim, Happy Jack Az.
Any more help or questions you can DM or call me 602-510-0439, just no calls on Sunday mornings, that is my time to worship the one who created all those beautiful areas you will travel through.. :smile:
Rich

Reactions: ZR2Infinity&Beyond

Enthusiast II

Goodyear, AZ, USA
First Name
Parker
Last Name
Jamison
Hello Parker
I personally stay off camping on any reservation, I always carry and that has the potential for serious issues.
If you don’t carry and plan on staying on any reservation check first with the tribe for any permits needed.
I love the salt river canyon area. If you want to fish a little there are some beautiful lakes on top of the rim, Chevelon canyon being a favorite. However for Chevelon you have to hike down to it because you can not drive to the edge. One of the prettiest lakes up there is Canyon lake, it also is the most popular so expect more people there. If you are in the Showlow/ Pinetop area and want to fish you have options for lake or stream. I have fished Big lake and Cresent lake a lot and for stream fishing the little Colorado and below Big lake there is a place called Three forks.
Once you get close to the Camp Verde area there is a stream called West Clear creek that has some really pretty areas. Check out those below, yes off the top of the rim, Happy Jack Az.
Any more help or questions you can DM or call me 602-510-0439, just no calls on Sunday mornings, that is my time to worship the one who created all those beautiful areas you will travel through.. :smile:
Rich
Thanks for the insight. I also carry so I understand the concern. After looking at my route in Gaia I’ve altered it slight. Really only one short section that I needed to move slightly north. I’ll be sticking to mostly FS roads and staying at established campgrounds on this one. Like I said I’m still figuring out what my current equipment is capable of and what I may or may not need as I go further down the overlanding rabbit hole. I will also take a look at those areas you mentioned to possibly include.

Attachments

Reactions: freak4life

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
Parker I have some kml files for the Rim and areas around if you want them, msg.
Great camping along there!

Jim

Reactions: ZR2Infinity&Beyond