North Richland Hills, TX 76180, USA
First Name
Doug
Last Name
Faries
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W5FPK
I know everyone has their favorite. I'm new to overlanding and HAM. I've narrowed my choice for a mobile / base radio to two. I really like the ICOM ID-5100 A Deluxe and the Yaesu FTM-400. Any pros or cons on either of these radios? They are both somewhat at the top end of my budget.

Thanks!

Reactions: Eddy G

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I know everyone has their favorite. I'm new to overlanding and HAM. I've narrowed my choice for a mobile / base radio to two. I really like the ICOM ID-5100 A Deluxe and the Yaesu FTM-400. Any pros or cons on either of these radios? They are both somewhat at the top end of my budget.

Thanks!
Both are excellent radios. I guess it comes down to if your area is using Wires X or using DSTAR repeaters.

Reactions: Jacob McCandles

Eddy G

Rank III
Launch Member

Member III

Guyton, GA, USA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Gagne
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN3DDY
I have 2 Icom ID-5100 . Love them both. I mainly went with the Icom becuse of the D-star capability. It has been a rock solid radio.

Reactions: Jacob McCandles

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Doug, is APRS of any interest to you? If so the FTM-400 would be the go to of the two you listed otherwise as noted it may depend on the digital voice protocol of choice. If aren't interested in either of those (APRS or Digital Voice) then you can't really go wrong with either. You might consider making a run up to Ham Radio Outlet in Plano to get some hands on with them and see what UI is more intuitive. Call them first to see if their showroom is open and if they have both of those radios on working display.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Doug, is APRS of any interest to you? If so the FTM-400 would be the go to of the two you listed otherwise as noted it may depend on the digital voice protocol of choice. If aren't interested in either of those (APRS or Digital Voice) then you can't really go wrong with either. You might consider making a run up to Ham Radio Outlet in Plano to get some hands on with them and see what UI is more intuitive. Call them first to see if their showroom is open and if they have both of those radios on working display.
HRO in Plano’s show room is open as of Saturday September 5th. And I highly recommend going in and seeing the radios in person.

Overlanding Lawyer

Rank IV

Advocate II

Fayetteville, GA, USA
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Kirkbride
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1EOD
Service Branch
Army
HRO in Plano’s show room is open as of Saturday September 5th. And I highly recommend going in and seeing the radios in person.
I agree, go play with them, try them out, both are fine radios. Good luck K1EOD Also, food for thought, get the MARS/CAP mod, this will open your radio, not “legal” for GRMS or FRS, in an emergency, you can use …

Reactions: Eddy G

WTSMatt

Rank V

Advocate I

Monterey, CA, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Stoddard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6TZY
Service Branch
Fire
Ordered the Icom ID-5100A with the MARS mod and Bluetooth chip. Should be here 09/10. Also the Comet GP3 antenna and power supply for home.

Anxious to try it out!
Where did you order from? Were the mod/bluetooth options to include?

Jacob McCandles

Rank III

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Doug
Last Name
Faries
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W5FPK
Ordered the Icom ID-5100A with the MARS mod and Bluetooth chip. Should be here 09/10. Also the Comet GP3 antenna and power supply for home.

Anxious to try it out!
Where did you order from? Were the mod/bluetooth options to include?
Ordered online from mtcradios of Plano, TX. I added the mod and Bluetooth chip. I've had everything setup for several days now and am very happy with it!

Reactions: M Rose

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Ordered online from mtcradios of Plano, TX. I added the mod and Bluetooth chip. I've had everything setup for several days now and am very happy with it!
I love MTC Radio, I bought my first rig from them, and continue to watch their weekly sales flyers… MTC just recently started carrying “Overlanding “ gear as well.

Jacob McCandles

Rank III

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Doug
Last Name
Faries
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W5FPK
Awesome! Thank you
FYI. I have a 1 story house. My GP3 antenna was the longest I could get that fit in my attic. No radiant barrier and my signal gets out great!