Rank II

Contributor III

Spring Valley, NY, USA
First Name
Larry
Last Name
Levy
Member #

I am planning to be in Moab this summer. I was interested in the Onion Creek Trail. Does anyone know if there is a way to continue east past Onion Creek Hideout Campground and get to Gateway Colorado ? I know I can do the Rimrock trail to Montrose but would like to have an alternative if I am further north when I start. If I end up doing Rimrock any comments on this one ? Still trying to decide.

zgfiredude

Rank VI

Steward I

Silt, CO, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Nichols
Member #

Service Branch
Firefighter
Yes, you can continue up Onion Creek and it will eventually intersect with a road (multiple names, John Brown Canyon Rd, Gateway Rd., Dolores Triangle Safari Route) that will drop you down in Gateway. From there you can go down the highway a bit (beautiful drive) and connect to where the Rimrocker Trail cuts across and you can continue east to Montrose.

Reactions: Advtres

BroncoTrail

Rank IV

Influencer II

Cottonwood Heights, UT, USA
First Name
Bronco
Last Name
Trail
Member #

Yes, you can continue up Onion Creek and it will eventually intersect with a road (multiple names, John Brown Canyon Rd, Gateway Rd., Dolores Triangle Safari Route) that will drop you down in Gateway. From there you can go down the highway a bit (beautiful drive) and connect to where the Rimrocker Trail cuts across and you can continue east to Montrose.
Your directions are not clear to me.

Does anyone know if there is a way to continue east past Onion Creek Hideout Campground and get to Gateway Colorado?
You could try this, but I don't know the ratings of the trails.

Onion Creek to Gateway

Reactions: jeepers29