dsayer

Rank I

Contributor III

Hoover, AL, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Sayer
Just joined and stumbled on this thread. I live outside of Birmingham. Just swapped out a 2006 Xterra for a Subaru Outback Wilderness. It'll be my daily driver/family toter with some lightweight and modular additions for overlanding, hiking, camping, hunting, etc. My "big" trip every year is elk hunting in Colorado so I'm liking the idea of a tame 20+ hour on the interstate with the ability for light off road duty once I get there.

Attachments

Leeaekdb

Rank IV

Enthusiast II

Opelousas, LA, USA
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Ritter
Member #

Opelousas, eh?
I lived there for a while (1955-1994).
3rd St., Julie St., W Vine St., Blake St., Gerald St., St, Berchman in (Westgate Sub.)
I still visit from time to time. I have lots of friends there.

Are they ever gonna repair West Vine Street?
View attachment 252099
They've started to do some side road repairs, but it's an absolute Overland adventure traveling there :) !

I moved in 2016 with the wife from Carencro. Going to build a house on the north side of the town by years end.

Reactions: eagle_A40

Leeaekdb

Rank IV

Enthusiast II

Opelousas, LA, USA
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Ritter
Member #

Just joined and stumbled on this thread. I live outside of Birmingham. Just swapped out a 2006 Xterra for a Subaru Outback Wilderness. It'll be my daily driver/family toter with some lightweight and modular additions for overlanding, hiking, camping, hunting, etc. My "big" trip every year is elk hunting in Colorado so I'm liking the idea of a tame 20+ hour on the interstate with the ability for light off road duty once I get there.

Excellent! I'm thinking the same type of hunting trip in '24, with my F250KR rigged out to stay out in the wilderness and get an even earlier hike into some BLM areas.

Reactions: dsayer

Bama_Kiwi

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Christchurch, New Zealand
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Frank
Member #

When I lived in Alabama, the vast majority of my off-roading was done on private land.

As for "overlanding", specifically, there's no shortage of dirt roads to explore. Autauga County alone had something like 500 miles of unpaved formed roads. Beyond that, there's a handful of National Forests with infrastructure ranging from two-lane paved roads to narrow single-track fire lanes.

It's not as well-documented as some states out West, but, adventure is out there if you are willing to work a bit for it.

Reactions: Leeaekdb

Murphy Slaw

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Southern Illinois
Member #

Oh. It’s been in full effect since last Feb and we are in prime time from this week till mid May!
I lived in Lake Charles in the early 80's through the early 90's.

Miss the food.

Man I went down last year and Lake Charles looks bad. Big empty skyscraper with plywood windows. Hope they fix that.

Reactions: Leeaekdb

Leeaekdb

Rank IV

Enthusiast II

Opelousas, LA, USA
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Ritter
Member #

I lived in Lake Charles in the early 80's through the early 90's.

Miss the food.

Man I went down last year and Lake Charles looks bad. Big empty skyscraper with plywood windows. Hope they fix that.
Yea, that’s Hurricane Laura damage to that building. I’ve done a ton of work down there and the work is slow on repairs.