Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Boulder Drive, Roswell, GA, USA
First Name
Brent
Last Name
Schultz
Member #

I have been looking into getting a winch set up for my 96 Disco 1 4.0L. I found a local seller who has a Mile Marker 12,000lb Hydraulic Winch. It looks older, is missing the cable and the owner says it need a solenoid replaced that is about $40 from Grainger. He is asking $500 and that comes with a Ford winch bumper. I might offer less without the bumper or get it and sell it to recover cost.
My question is it worth it? winch and bumper.jpg

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I have been looking into getting a winch set up for my 96 Disco 1 4.0L. I found a local seller who has a Mile Marker 12,000lb Hydraulic Winch. It looks older, is missing the cable and the owner says it need a solenoid replaced that is about $40 from Grainger. He is asking $500 and that comes with a Ford winch bumper. I might offer less without the bumper or get it and sell it to recover cost.
My question is it worth it? View attachment 187082
ThAt is a steal... check out the MM price brand new... it’s close to $2,000. I have the 18,000 lbs model... it’s a tank, very heavy duty. Be warned depending on your rig’s power steering system, it may or may not handle it... for both my 2000 Dodge Ram and my 1989 Bronco I had to customize the power steering pump to reach pressures needed for the winch. (1200 lbs winch might not have to, check the spec sheet of the winch, and research the PSI as well as the GPM of the stock PS Pump. If both PSI and GPM are within spec then no modifications are going to be needed).

BTW, it’s not that old of a model, looks just like my 2015 winch

Attachments

Reactions: Brentski

Brentski

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Brent
Last Name
Schultz
Member #

ThAt is a steal... check out the MM price brand new... it’s close to $2,000. I have the 18,000 lbs model... it’s a tank, very heavy duty. Be warned depending on your rig’s power steering system, it may or may not handle it... for both my 2000 Dodge Ram and my 1989 Bronco I had to customize the power steering pump to reach pressures needed for the winch. (1200 lbs winch might not have to, check the spec sheet of the winch, and research the PSI as well as the GPM of the stock PS Pump. If both PSI and GPM are within spec then no modifications are going to be needed).

BTW, it’s not that old of a model, looks just like my 2015 winch
Thank you! I was hoping to hear that. I’m going to go ahead and jump on it.

I was thinking I would need to replace my power steering pump anyway as it leaks terribly. This will give me the opportunity to put more thought into it.

Thanks for the input!

Brentski

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Brent
Last Name
Schultz
Member #

Just to update, I ended up meeting the guy and bought it. I got the winch and the remote for $300. I’m not really sure what model it is. A little acetone and a rag I was able to find a small plate on the side with some numbers. I sent an email to Mile Marker to see if they can tell me something about it.

There is a Hydraulic Supply Co. near me. I think I’ll take it to them and see if they can check it out for me.

Attachments

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Just to update, I ended up meeting the guy and bought it. I got the winch and the remote for $300. I’m not really sure what model it is. A little acetone and a rag I was able to find a small plate on the side with some numbers. I sent an email to Mile Marker to see if they can tell me something about it.

There is a Hydraulic Supply Co. near me. I think I’ll take it to them and see if they can check it out for me.
It's definitely not that old since it has a qr type code on the plate.

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
Nice score man!
Another thing I would do when you plumb that guy in is add a power steering cooler. It will not only help keep things cool when you load that winch, it will also add a little more fluid capacity in the system.

Brentski

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Brent
Last Name
Schultz
Member #

Nice score man!
Another thing I would do when you plumb that guy in is add a power steering cooler. It will not only help keep things cool when you load that winch, it will also add a little more fluid capacity in the system.
Thanks! I think you’re right about the cooler. That seems like a smart idea. I’ll take your advice.