Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Ok, let me preface this by saying I am not a youtuber or content creator however I put together a short video unboxing both the 575 and 275 and comparing what you get in the box.
Midland MXT575 vs MXT275 unboxing and visual comparison - YouTube
I will have another video in the next day or two going through the settings.

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Awesome, thanks for taking the time! Would be very interested in how you perceive its performance, quality, etc.

Reactions: Desert Runner

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Awesome, thanks for taking the time! Would be very interested in how you perceive its performance, quality, etc.
Had a buddy 10 miles away help me test.
He couldn't really hear me on the MXT275 but had me 100% 9n the MXT575.
Now I was using a 1/2 wave antenna for the 275 and though it's not a ground dependent antenna the lack of ground probably didn't help and my buddy was listening via a ham radio that is wideband where the 275 only transmits narrowband.
For the 575 I used the magmount and 1/4 wave antenna that comes with it. That magmount is super solid.

Reactions: Ubiety

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
I have two of the 275's and just installed a MXT500 into my JKU, for the rigs where I do not use GMRS often, the 275 has worked great, love that you can stash it away somewhere and have the all in on microphone, only real complaint I have with it is when starting the rig with the radio on, the 275 seems to power off (Likely due to the soft momentary on/off that looses its latching during vehicle start). Not a deal breaker, but annoying when you forget to check its on after a stop and miss radio traffic. Both rigs I have it mounted in use NMO roof mounted 1/2 wave antennas and have very good SWR readings, and great range.

The MXT500 (conventional version with controls on radio) is yet to be tested in the field, but seems to work well, It was hard to get a decent SWR on the JK though, Due mainly to antenna location (mounted on the cowl with a Rugged Radio bracket) I tried four different antennas before finding one that I could tune to an acceptable SWR (two were around 2:1 and the little factory supplied one was at 3:1) I ended up with 1:4 SWR using a Laird BB4502NS no ground plane antenna which I can live with.

Reactions: Ubiety

WareWolf MoonWall

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Green Country, OK
First Name
WareWolf
Last Name
MoonWall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Direct Message Me..
Had a chance to watch the video, and you did a great job with the unboxing and the comparison of the two radios. Almost sounded like you might actually use them sometimes, unlike a bunch of folks on YouTube that seem more like they open the box and then return it hah.

Looking forward to the review with your usage etc.

Lastly, kinda jealous that you have one - online still says it won't be for sale until next week!

Just realized you are in Oklahoma too.. Wonder if I saw you at the meat run a few weeks ago lol

incogneato

Rank II
Investor

Enthusiast I

Nashville, TN
First Name
Allen
Last Name
Lovett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K4VA