Midland MXT115 in a Wrangler JK

• HTML tutorial

kennedyma

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Member #

Just picked up a Midland MXT115 from my local Cabelas. Quickly installed it in the JK but I'm very happy with it, will hardware it once spring comes here in Chicago.

Need to get out there now and test it. Went GMRS mostly because I already have 4 Talkabouts and wanted to keep in the same family.

Found a spot in the back corner of the Jeep where the included antenna fit pretty well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: marubicon

kennedyma

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Member #

uhf (462 mghz) will pass thru fiberglass. while not ideal, it will work allbeit there are better locations for an antenna.
I would love to hear some ideas I'm open to anything. I knew it would go though the fiberglass, but there is still roll cage, spare tire, and people that it will have to go though in different directions.

I'm also open to another antenna, I just couldn't find much info on mobile GMRS antenna as it's still a pretty new/small market.

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

The Tram 1126 is a NMO mount UHF antenna. It is "pre-tuned" but based on some reviews on Amazon the SWR is about 1.05:1 in the 464-466Mhz range which would make it usable for GMRS (462 & 467Mhz).

The 1126 on a fender lip bracket or bracket on a roof rack or something should work well.

I wish more offroaders would move away from CB and to GMRS for trail and convoy comms.

Last edited:
Reactions: kennedyma

kennedyma

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Member #

The Tram 1126 is a NMO mount UHF antenna. It is "pre-tuned" but based on some reviews on Amazon the SWR is about 1.05:1 in the 464-466Mhz range which would make it usable for GMRS (462 & 467Mhz).

The 1126 on a fender lip bracket or bracket on a roof rack or something should work well.

I wish more offroaders would move away from CB and to GMRS for trail and convoy comms.
Thank you very much for the information.

I also agree GMRS seems to be much better for trail use then CB. Hopefully these new radios will spark an interest.