Enthusiast I

Mayville, Michigan, United States
First Name
paul
Last Name
konye
Member #

Hello fellow Michiganders,

I'm looking for more excuses to run trails, camp, and go backpacking. I figured offering to help the Michigan DNR with some volunteer work would be a good way to go about it.

Unfortunately, I'm finding it difficult to locate any leads or resources to officially volunteer. Has anyone here been involved with this kind of volunteer work? Is there a particular resource that I should be looking at (other than the DNR's website) to sign up for this kind of thing?

Any insight would be appreciated!

mmrhodes06

Rank IV

Pathfinder III

Battle Creek, Calhoun County, Michigan, United States
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Rhodes
Member #

Thanks mmrhodes06!

I found this... also there are nature conservatory groups as well online and social media. I just found a southwest Michigan kayak group that I just joined while searching for this! Hope this helps.

Rattler

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Bay City, MI
The best source for finding out about trail clean ups in Michigan would be the Great Lakes Four Wheel Drive Association. They usually do several in the spring. They do have a Facebook page. They had a forum page but I have no idea if it is very active anymore.

Reactions: AddHawkins

AddHawkins

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Columbia, MO, USA
First Name
Addison
Last Name
Hawkins
Member #

Any follow up on how this went? Did you find any one? I’d love to get out with my kids next year and do some volunteering and camping all in one.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Hello fellow Michiganders,

I'm looking for more excuses to run trails, camp, and go backpacking. I figured offering to help the Michigan DNR with some volunteer work would be a good way to go about it.

Unfortunately, I'm finding it difficult to locate any leads or resources to officially volunteer. Has anyone here been involved with this kind of volunteer work? Is there a particular resource that I should be looking at (other than the DNR's website) to sign up for this kind of thing?

Any insight would be appreciated!
I have very good luck just calling the DNR recreation department and scheduling a sit down with the rec manager.

Rattler

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Bay City, MI
FWIW, the DNR pays for doing trail clean ups. It is a great way for clubs and such to make money for themselves.