Launch Member

Contributor II

Cheyenne, WY, USA
First Name
Howard
Last Name
Segal
Member #

Has anyone bought memory foam in bulk to make a mattress for inside a camper or pick up bed? I'm looking to use some in the bed of my pick up and am open for suggestions on where to purchase (brick and mortar store or online) and how thick of a chunk to use. For reference I weigh 190 lbs.

Thanks!

Boppa's Travels

Rank VI

Explorer I

Corsicana, TX, USA
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Eubank
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5KFF

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
The Walmart mattresses are really good if you are wanting something decent price that doesn’t break the bank to modify.
E1F54AE7-88CF-4F2C-9F12-900C889B74E2.jpeg

Reactions: RoarinRow

huachuca

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

tarboro nc
First Name
Al
Last Name
Killebrew
Member #

We have a local mattress mfr that does custom work just a few miles from our home in northeastern NC. They've built mattresses to spec for our Scamp campers which have an odd size berth with rounded edges on two sides. I know they're very popular in the molded fiberglass camper community and have shipped product all over the US. Southern Mattress

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I thought about those. Are they dense enough to use on a plywood base?
Yes they are... that’s what the base is on the one pictured... it was very comfortable... I almost miss it... I say alimony because I really like my Bronco which is too small to build out like my Ram was.

Reactions: Jeepwatchman

Jeepwatchman

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Cheyenne, WY, USA
First Name
Howard
Last Name
Segal
Member #

Yes they are... that’s what the base is on the one pictured... it was very comfortable... I almost miss it... I say alimony because I really like my Bronco which is too small to build out like my Ram was.
Do you remember which one you have from Walmart?

Reactions: M Rose

Flipper

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Florida
First Name
John
Last Name
F
Member #

I used three pieces of 3” MF. Lot easier, less expensive, to find, handle and custom cut than a single 9” piece. Cut mine to fit twin sheets. Works great, super comfortable.

Reactions: Jeepwatchman

Jeepwatchman

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Cheyenne, WY, USA
First Name
Howard
Last Name
Segal
Member #

I used three pieces of 3” MF. Lot easier, less expensive, to find, handle and custom cut than a single 9” piece. Cut mine to fit twin sheets. Works great, super comfortable.
So you just stacked the (3) 3" pieces on top of each other to get the 9" total thickness?

Flipper

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Florida
First Name
John
Last Name
F
Member #

So you just stacked the (3) 3" pieces on top of each other to get the 9" total thickness?
Yes, they don’t slide around on each other, guess it’s the texture of the MF. Very comfortable, you don’t bottom out either. Much easier to cut and fit, the two rear corners had to be cut at an angle to fit correctly.

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

Has anyone bought memory foam in bulk to make a mattress for inside a camper or pick up bed? I'm looking to use some in the bed of my pick up and am open for suggestions on where to purchase (brick and mortar store or online) and how thick of a chunk to use. For reference I weigh 190 lbs.

Thanks!
@Jeepwatchman

When I looked into buying in bulk I found the minimum orders were WAY more than I could use. For us it was easier to source off the shelf and build the mattress.

Building new custom mattress pads for the popup we found the most affordable way was to make our own lamination of 2" upholstery foam (Locally From Joann's fabrics IIRC) and a 3" king sized memory foam mattress topper from Costco. We clamped the foam between a sheet of plywood and an angle-iron section to compress it then cut to size with a long hobby knife. Glued together using a compatible spray adhesive 3m Super 77 IIRC.
then stuffed in to the existing mattress covers and zipped up. took about a weekend to gather and make the 5 mattress sections for the camper. Which works out to 1 just smaller than queen size and 1 full/twin-ish size.

The upholstery foam gives a nice firmness after the 3" of memory foam does it's contouring thing. Very comfortable.

Boort

Reactions: Flipper