• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

PatriotT4R

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Lillington, NC 27546
Member #

Just out of curiosity what is the most common problem faced while on the trail ? I haven' been on a trail yet by vehicle. I'm sure there are similarities between problems faced while hiking a trail and traversing a trail using a mode of transportation besides your feet. I figure taking a Poll for an entire month would provide me better insight of the most common problem. Please tell me your story and how you over came the obstacle you faced.

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

I havent done any long vehicle-based trips, but from hiking and bikepacking, Id say all my problems have been logistical. Never been lost or really had trouble finding where I am going, and never had a schedule-altering injury or mechanical issue.

However, I have absolutely been either freezing or hungry :P . At the forefront of this "cold and hungry" experience was Survival Training, of course, but Ive had several others like that as well, heh.

Reactions: PatriotT4R

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

This question really depends. Mechanical problems will be much more prevalent in older vehicles and vehicles that are not maintained well. Assuming those to not be the case, I would say Logistics with a lean on nav. We plan our trips and things come up that force us to change plans. Almost always, the change in plans effects navigation as we end up either turning around or bypassing sections of the route (gate, impassible section of trail, not enough time to complete, skipping sections, etc...). Logistics can also be gear issues. Not bringing the right gear and having to change plans to accommodate.
All of my issues have been logistical with 2 exceptions to mechanical. I can't say I've really ever been lost. I've had to reroute several times, but I think that was more due to logistical issues than anything.

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
You will encounter all three.

I suggest you become familiar with basic maintenance of your vehicle. Learn to do basic inspections like steering and suspension systems. Knowing common failure points of your particular vehicle is also important. Spend time on vehicle specific forums for what you drive and learn about the weak spots, because they are there. Having diagnostic tools with you such as a basic multi-meter and an OBD2/CANBUS scanner (for newer vehicles) plus some forum of repair manual. Also, try to do most of your maintenance with the tools you are carrying with you so you know what you have and what you might need as well.

Logistically, plan flexibly. Don't try to pack every day full of things to do, leave room for error and divide things you want to do into "musts" and "wants" where you can shed "wants" as time starts to get tight. Also, don't be afraid to do a full abort. We've had a few trips where the weather wasn't cooperating, a kid was sick, or the X acted up and we just chose to go back home rather than be miserable or stuck. Those were learning experiences and there's nothing wrong with that.

Navigation is probably the easiest to deal with IMO. Don't rely on a single piece of gear to do that job. I load maps on my phone, tablet and keep a DeLorme Gazetteer for the area I'm in. Also, research the area you are going and make sure you have maps for that area for off-line use on your equipment. I miss-judged a trip a few years ago and didn't have the full map available and was in a 0 cell service area. The Gazetteer came to the rescue to some extent but it was still an educated guess about which route to follow that got me off the mountain. Again, if all else fails, go back the way you came or at least till you can get some service.

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

What @TerryD said.

Also, ALWAYS BRING PAPER MAPS. just always have them for the areas you are in. They are the only type of nave that wont fail you if you know how to use them.

Reactions: TerryD

The other Sean

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneapolis
Member #

Yep, Terry pretty much nailed it. I've had all three.

The takeaway from it though is to LEARN from what went wrong/happened and equip yourself better for the next trip.

For instance, on one trip, my friend's rear E locker wouldn't work. He didn't have a multi meter so he borrowed mine. He quickly diagnosed a bad connection and was fixed, He had never thought of bringing his Multi meter but will now.

Another trip, a friend had a tree branch jump up and grab his fuel line and broke at one of the plastic sections. Between the entire crew we came up with some tubing, various hose clamps and some gorilla tape to get him to camp (well, about a mile from camp, towed the rest of the way). I now carry a few sections of fuel hose, a bin of various hose clamps.

We have also as mentioned encountered impassable trails or trails that are closed. This is where having a paper map and being able to lay it out on the hood of your truck and look at the entire area for a new path.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Everything Terry said.
Ive worked a ton of 4WD events and mechanical is what I saw there.

Ive had to rescue/ guide a few people over the years who were turned around in the middle of the Mojave. Navigation.

Logistical......? Does me being stupid and getting stuck in the sand all the way to my frame, in a 2WD S10 blazer with no recovery equipment, by myself, with no one knowing where I was, count as Logistics? Took me 7 hours to get out of that mess.

Scott

PatriotT4R

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Lillington, NC 27546
Member #

Everything Terry said.
Ive worked a ton of 4WD events and mechanical is what I saw there.

Ive had to rescue/ guide a few people over the years who were turned around in the middle of the Mojave. Navigation.

Logistical......? Does me being stupid and getting stuck in the sand all the way to my frame, in a 2WD S10 blazer with no recovery equipment, by myself, with no one knowing where I was, count as Logistics? Took me 7 hours to get out of that mess.

Scott
LOL!! Ummm .. Yeah Bro I think that qualifies for a logistical isssue ... too funny!! So I assume you now have all the recovery equipment squared away ... sometimes learning the lessons the hard way first results in a better outcome later. Thanks for the reply Boss!