Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
There are so many possibilities in these days for plannning, mapping and navigation. I prefer a mix of classic paper based maps and the modern digital world.

For planning a journey I still use paper based maps. Also while on the road, I see paper based maps as useful to get a good overview especially on long distance journeys and as backup if electronics stuff fails.

For navigation purposes I use my old but mighty and very robust Garmin 278. The device has been through a lot. I hope it will still last some time. Beside that I use a 10" Tablet, Android based and running Oruxmaps and OB1 for mapping and navigation purposes. And of course other apps such as iOverlander, customs apps, translators, road condition apps, weather forecast apps, official travel advise apps...

In addtion I always have a marching compass for hiking with me. Just in case of electronic navigation fails.

You could find more setups and ideas for example here:

Last edited:

NMBruce

Rank V

Advocate II

Pagosa Springs, CO, USA
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Cooper
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0NBD
Service Branch
U.S. Air Force
Gaia pro, myiPad mini and BadElf GPS. Download what area or trails I want before hand and go

Advtres

Rank VI
Investor

Steward I

Hollister, CA, USA
First Name
Lizabeth
Last Name
Deliriumskid
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6STB
I like to do historical overviews ( eg ghost towns, old historical sites ) which Avenza is great at providing these types of maps, from there I switch between Google, Avenza and Gaia in my rig Alice. So far zero problems with this set up. Especially nice to be able to download maps for use offline.

I did do a rookie move and purchased an iPad without the celluar which resulted in we now own 2 IPads, one for the rig and one for home….