Rank IV

Enthusiast II

Lake Villa, Lake County, Illinois, United States
First Name
Letyce
Last Name
Moore
Member #

I’m trying to find trails through Yellowstone and I’m having trouble reading the map. I saved a gpx file of a trail from the wikiloc app but when I open it I am brought to OB maps with an error. Any help on getting trail maps so I can view them offline in case of no service.

Attachments

Reactions: Rachel

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
You need to import the GPX file to OB1 before you can open the GPX file in OB1. Then once you have the GPX file loaded you need to download all the map tiles surrounding the GPX trails.

So yo start off, open OB1 and navigate to the trail map page of the app. Select the large yellow plus sign.
E723A2C0-27EC-4D0B-ADB0-17C11CDC1B3F.png

Next you will be brought to the fallowing screen where you will select your GPX file and fill in details of your trail. You also mark the route private or public on this page.
9A66622D-1414-4766-878F-C468DF84BEC2.jpeg

Now that you have your track uploaded to OB1 you will need to download the map tiles for offline use along your track. To do this click the download icon on the right hand side of the map function buttons.
2E03477C-3E52-4429-A2A6-402774BD9052.jpeg
Give the offline map a name and select “Download Offline Map”

21DAD8C7-1D4C-46DA-BBB7-A96A8809EAD3.png

To view off line maps go to the Three lines at the top of the app to open the side bar. Then scroll down to “Offline Maps”
C667D7CC-9446-4224-AE1C-DD98CA8A554C.jpeg
67DC6BCE-2F04-4A3D-9C78-A8EBFCF55525.jpeg
A524D375-B27D-4DB0-9263-228D6C20F321.png

if you continue to get your error message after fallowing these steps contact support@overlandbound.com along with screen shots of the error. Include the version number of the app and make the subject line read OB1 crash (along with what you were doing when it crashed).
E9EBABD4-EAC3-4333-8343-9E869D2D9F1C.jpeg

Joedirt96

Rank IV

Enthusiast II

First Name
Letyce
Last Name
Moore
Member #

You need to import the GPX file to OB1 before you can open the GPX file in OB1. Then once you have the GPX file loaded you need to download all the map tiles surrounding the GPX trails.

So yo start off, open OB1 and navigate to the trail map page of the app. Select the large yellow plus sign.
View attachment 203747

Next you will be brought to the fallowing screen where you will select your GPX file and fill in details of your trail. You also mark the route private or public on this page.
View attachment 203748

Now that you have your track uploaded to OB1 you will need to download the map tiles for offline use along your track. To do this click the download icon on the right hand side of the map function buttons.
View attachment 203749
Give the offline map a name and select “Download Offline Map”

View attachment 203750

To view off line maps go to the Three lines at the top of the app to open the side bar. Then scroll down to “Offline Maps”
View attachment 203751
View attachment 203752
View attachment 203753

if you continue to get your error message after fallowing these steps contact support@overlandbound.com along with screen shots of the error. Include the version number of the app and make the subject line read OB1 crash (along with what you were doing when it crashed).
View attachment 203754
Awesome! Thank you!
Do I just put in random ratings and info on it to create it since I haven’t driven it yet? I’m thinking I could update and edit that later.

Reactions: M Rose and Rachel

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Awesome! Thank you!
Do I just put in random ratings and info on it to create it since I haven’t driven it yet? I’m thinking I could update and edit that later.
Yes you can edit it later… I would make the trail private until you actually drive it, that way once you drive the route you can add in photos and details before you make the route public.

Reactions: DaleRF and Kies

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
I’m trying to find trails through Yellowstone and I’m having trouble reading the map. I saved a gpx file of a trail from the wikiloc app but when I open it I am brought to OB maps with an error. Any help on getting trail maps so I can view them offline in case of no service.
Hey guys! Remember offline maps is not available to the public yet, and is in testing. @Joedirt96 I’ll add it to your account for a few days so you can try it out. I’d love to get your feedback!

Reactions: DaleRF

Joedirt96

Rank IV

Enthusiast II

First Name
Letyce
Last Name
Moore
Member #

Hey guys! Remember offline maps is not available to the public yet, and is in testing. @Joedirt96 I’ll add it to your account for a few days so you can try it out. I’d love to get your feedback!
Thank you! We are going in and out of service in some mountains in Montana. The offline map is working awesome so far.

Reactions: DaleRF and Michael

Joedirt96

Rank IV

Enthusiast II

First Name
Letyce
Last Name
Moore
Member #

Thank you! We are going in and out of service in some mountains in Montana. The offline map is working awesome so far.
I do have a couple questions. Where is the legend for the map? I’m having trouble figuring what trails are what. Are the trails that we see on the map only for off-road vehicles or atv’s and other modes of transportation?

Reactions: Bill_a6354e

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
I do have a couple questions. Where is the legend for the map? I’m having trouble figuring what trails are what. Are the trails that we see on the map only for off-road vehicles or atv’s and other modes of transportation?
Hi there - this is all very new to our app, so thank you for testing and providing feedback! It will get much more simple.

Quick answers:

On the trail tab you will see two types of trails for now:
- USFS Roads
- GPX files uploaded from Members.

The USFS road trails follow the USFS legend - so:

legend-static-only.png

The GPX files should have trail ratings added by the person who uploaded them.

OBB

Rank VII

Pioneer II

El Dorado Hills, El Dorado County, California, United States
First Name
Frank
Last Name
Speck
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1FMS
Thanks @Michael for this post. I looked for the legend and it makes sense to utilize the USFS legend when USFS layer is applied. Would be cool to use USFS road & trail system as separate layers. And an icon next to the USFS layer to pop-up the legend as shown in you image above, last post. Love the app. Thanks for constant improvements and new GPX file uploads.

Reactions: DaleRF and Michael

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
Thanks @Michael for this post. I looked for the legend and it makes sense to utilize the USFS legend when USFS layer is applied. Would be cool to use USFS road & trail system as separate layers. And an icon next to the USFS layer to pop-up the legend as shown in you image above, last post. Love the app. Thanks for constant improvements and new GPX file uploads.
You bet. Great suggestion. We absolutely need to have all legends in app.

For blm we do separate land from roads. Good not on USFS roads vs trails.

Lots of great work ongoing, dropping releases regularly. Route planning is very exciting and releasing in the next few weeks. Currently hardening offline saves and upload handling in patchy service.

Reactions: DaleRF and OBB

OBB

Rank VII

Pioneer II

El Dorado Hills, El Dorado County, California, United States
First Name
Frank
Last Name
Speck
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1FMS
Hey @M Rose, I am kind of shy asking this question since I am sure it's asked a lot, but I couldn't find an answer in the forum. I want to upload/import a GPX file. Following your screenshots above, I tried to find the upload button on the map web version and app. Adding Location doesn't included that option. Can you help me finding instructions on how to upload GPX files, please?

I downloaded a trail from OnX, uploaded it to gpx.studio, cleaned it up, saved it and want to upload it to OB.
My OB app version 11.10.2.0624 runs on an Android Version 12, Galaxy S10e.

Last edited:

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Hey @M Rose, I am kind of shy asking this question since I am sure it's asked a lot, but I couldn't find an answer in the forum. I want to upload/import a GPX file. Following your screenshots above, I tried to find the upload button on the map web version and app. Adding Location doesn't included that option. Can you help me finding instructions on how to upload GPX files, please?

I downloaded a trail from OnX, uploaded it to gpx.studio, cleaned it up, saved it and want to upload it to OB.
My OB app version 11.10.2.0624 runs on an Android Version 12, Galaxy S10e.

Also, when I click on Offline Maps on the app, I get only a white screen.
On the saved tab for the map on OB1 click the plus button and select add location. Once the screen pops up select “Off Road Trail” as location type. Then fill out the description… down several lines is the place to upload your track. Once you are done filling in the information click “Create” and your track will upload.

Save Maps for offline use:
BC1F4A39-1063-4BC5-9119-409EC067C05A.jpeg
D30508CB-CE28-48FE-BF16-DC6C9A4C7DF3.jpeg
ABD628C1-D9DD-4494-AC5C-71A86C9BAD32.jpeg
E964CE6E-E808-4ED3-A956-87DC5C645C06.jpeg
85A0CAD6-0E58-4100-B121-31EF9B213381.png

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Thanks @M Rose. I didn't recognize the "Select Location Type" as a multi-select option. Works now. Thanks again, appreciate your help!
Glad I was able to help. Don’t hesitate to ask questions no matter how big or small, or how many times you think it may be answered. We are all more than happy to help.

Reactions: Michael