M715 Adventure Rig

• HTML tutorial

joe.schigel

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Detroit, MI
Really like the truck! We have one around the farm that was converted to a 300 straight 6, I wanted to buy it and build it out but one of my coworkers got to it before me. Not sure who you're using for parts but I've had pretty good luck with Boyce Equipment out of Utah. We have 11 M900 6x6's and that's where I go for for parts.
That is a LOT of 6x6's! haha. N+1 right?
I've gotten some things from them, some from Big Mike's, some from BJ's Offroad, Rockauto, etc. I kinda go for wherever I can get my hand on whatever part.

joe.schigel

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Detroit, MI
Ok, so a couple updates:

1) I got invited to FourWheeler's Overland Adventure in Phoenix, AZ!
2) I need to make some modifications / repairs in preparation for the trip (roll cage and fix a fuel leak)
3) part of which was making a bumper!!!

I found a used Warn M15000 winch locally and I had to build a bumper around it. So I bought metal on Monday and got to work the rest of the week.

the first step was to mock up what I wanted to do. I drew it out on paper a couple times and then mocked it up out of cardboard.

After mockup, the cutting and welding started. I made the arms out of 1/2" steel, the main body out of 1/4", and the wings from 1/8". I wanted the winch tucked up as high as possible without having to cut the fascia. I also wanted to avoid blocking the radiator. I don't need to add to my heat issues.

After building it, it was time for paint! I used Ace Hardware's rust-stop paint. I really like the nozzle they use on the can and I think it does it's job fairly well.

And now for the payoff... the finished object! All I need to do now is finish wiring up the winch! Then it will be onto building a basic roll cage this week.

joe.schigel

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Detroit, MI
Alright, we are less than a week away from when we'll head out for the Overland Adventure!

Here's the big progress: we were able to fabricate our own roll cage last week. We used 1.75" 0.120 wall DOM tubing. This was the first cage (or tube bending for that matter) that either of us had done. I think it turned out really well! I also added some foam padding, the fire extinguisher and a rear view mirror for the first time!

The other big achievement is that we've finally made a good solution for mating a modern fuel module to the steel tank! We sunk a section of pipe into the tank with the correct ID to accept the module. Welded that in and added posts to act as retainers. It seals really well and is 1.25" shorter than the original attempt! So I'll be able to tuck the tank up a bit higher now!

Hayesel Motors

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Picked up a 1965 J200 Gladiator this weekend for my son. Looking forward to review this thread and to see your progress!

shortbus4x4

Rank II

Enthusiast III

On your rollcage are the windshield latches and window handles still accessible and functional? Got any close ups of how you ran the tubing by them?

joe.schigel

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Detroit, MI
On your rollcage are the windshield latches and window handles still accessible and functional? Got any close ups of how you ran the tubing by them?
They aren't touching the bar, but I don't think I could fold the windshield down anymore. but for me, that's not a problem. I did it once and wasn't a fan.

joe.schigel

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Detroit, MI
On the note of "projects never finished", I've started to address the 715's biggest issue: the tires. The Goodyear OZ's that came on the wheels that I got from Trailworthy never rode very nice. They're extremely loud, have poor damp road behavior, are about 20yrs old, and do not balance well. The balance is the biggest issue. They wobble bad between 50-60mph. I found a local shop that is willing to balance oversized tires (even with the double beadlock), but since I put ~4500miles on the unbalanced Goodyears, I'm not sure they will balance now.

So, I did what any self respecting offroader does and bought new tires! These are 37" BFGoodrish Baja T/A's that are NOS and only 3 years old! I got them from CSMarmytires and they got here quick for a great price!

tire1.jpg
tire2.jpg
tire3.jpg

I brought them home yesterday and got started immediately. I've messed with my wheels before but I've never had them fully apart. Taking the outer ring off was easy enough, as well at the main wheel (tire spoons go a long way), but the PVC insert in the tire was a huge pain! I couldn't figure out how to remove it and every video I saw of people removing them, they just pulled it out with their hands! Well, the Goodyears must've been extra stiff or something because they did NOT want to come out. I wound up looping a strap around the PVC and a garage rafter and used the weight of the tire to my advantage. That popped it out of there in about 30 seconds! Much easier!

tire4 (2).jpg

Then reinstalling the tire and assembling the wheel was a piece of cake! I pressure tested it up to 80psi and didn't have any leaks! It's back down to 50psi and I'll take all 5 to the shop for balancing next week once I'm finished. I can't wait to have a "smooth" ride again!!!

tire5.jpg

joe.schigel

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Detroit, MI
I got the tires mounted and boy do they perform! I 100x quieter ride and pretty sticky so far! We'll see how they age.

IMG_5194 2.jpeg

The downside is 2 of my wheels weren't made correctly. Luckily Trailworthy is replacing them for me. The wheels themself are out of whack and are the reason two of mine have wobbled bad. Even with that wheel, the truck is riding muuuuch nicer!

Baipin

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Absolutely fantastic build quality, dude! Honestly, it's inspirational.

I'm interested to see how you like the new BFG Military Baja T/A's - those are the tires I'm thinking of getting for my 4WD bus build. I've heard very little about them, except that they're supposed to be better in mud, and have better tread life on pavement then the previous HMMWV tires...

Magic Mike

US Full-time/Long Term Travel Ambassador
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Rapid City, South Dakota, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Lee
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YKV
Service Branch
Army & Marine Corps
Hey all,

I'm starting a build thread to try to document my M715 build. I bought the truck last winter and restored it to driving condition. Since then, I've decided to go all out and build my dream adventure truck. I've already started to gather parts and information for the transformation. So far, I have a Ram 8.0L V10 as the new engine, an NP205 Tcase, and a '98 Ram 2500 as a parts truck (it has the drivetrain I want. Mostly a NV4500 behind another V10).

The goal is to swap out the original, oil burny, drive-train for the V10 backed by a NV4500 5-speed with an NP205 to transfer power. The drivetrain is also going to get a Detroit mechanical locker in the rear, Eaton e-locker in the front, a drivetrain e-brake off of the 205, and upgraded 1410 u-joints. I'm keeping the original axles and brakes because A: they're cool, and B: 5.87 gears are amazing! haha.
As far as the frame and suspension, I'm also keeping it mostly original but upgrading it. I'm going to remove the #1&3 leaf springs to try to soften the ride up and get new dampers (hopefully adjustable). I'm going to knock off any rust on the frame and paint it with some rustoleum.
The body is in really good shape and honestly doesn't need a lot of attention. The goal is to keep the patina and keep it looking the way it currently does. I need to repair a small rust hole on the back of the cab but that's it. The cab bottom, firewall, and back are going to get a coating of Lizard Skin sound deadener and heat insulation. I'm also going to put the sound deadener on the hood, front fender wells, and the bottom of the truck bed. The engine bay is currently like a cathedral it's so echo-y.
For the interior, I'm going to update it a bit to try to make it more comfortable. I'll be bedlining the floor and back of the cab for protection. The OE seats are toast so I'm going to upgrade to a pair of Corbeau low back, suspension seats. I'm going to make some flannel door panel covers that hopefully will have a plaid to match the truck's colors. I'll need a new heater box for the defroster and some heat. I'm also going to fab up a roll cage to fit under the soft top for some safety.

As for goodies, that list is expensive. haha. I'm planning on fabing a winch bumper to hold a Warn VR12000. I'm going to get a Rugged Radio VOX radio for the driver and passenger as well as a CB. I'm going to put an auxiliary driving light where the front blackout light would be (on the hood). The bed will get a truck box, pop-up tent, and a hi-lift jack.
I'm sure I'm leaving a couple things out but I think at this point I'm starting to ramble. This should be an epic build! I can't wait to get started!
Gorgeous rig and can’t wait to see the finished product