M101 Overland Base Camp Trailer Build

• HTML tutorial

The_Just

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate I

Tualatin OR
Member #

Greetings fellow overlanders! I am in the process of building a custom M101 Hummer trailer into a fully stocked long range overlanding base camp. The basic premise is that I have a daily driver truck modestly kitted that I would like to be able to hook up and roll out quickly and easily. My goal is to have basic necessities and even some off road luxuries ready to roll any time we can get away with minimal effort getting on (and off) the road. I'm a big fan of optimization. I have limited time to play and I like to make the most of that time playing, not working to get ready to play. I also would like to use my truck daily as it's intended.

I started this project and thread back in May 2015. I planned to have the trailer match a 2013 Ford Raptor. Since starting this project, I have decided to sell the Raptor and go a slightly different direction. I have recently picked up a 2013 Land Rover LR4 and will be finishing this project to specifically compliment the LR4.

Here's a recap of where the project is now:

Purpose: we love tent camping in remote areas. What I hope to create is a camping Base Camp that I can easily tow to remote areas that will support us while we're off the grid.

Budget: $9k

The plan:

Base: M101 (1991) military trailer 3500 lb off-road capacity.

Propane - support cooking and hot water & generator.

Electric - power lights, plugins, ARB fridge, water pump. - possibly rechargeable via solar, shore power, deep cell batteries

Water - ample potable water for cooking, showers, drinking, hand washing

Tent - rack mounted fold out ARB Simpson III tent for 3+ campers

Air - ability to run power tools and air up.

Galley - sink, stove, fridge, grille

Storage - chairs, camping misc

Day 1

Bought the M101 trailer full of tube steel $500

Drug it from Seattle to Portland behind Raptor

Day 6

Sold the steel in the trailer for a total of $128.40

Power washed the trailer and removed the top rack.

----------

Decided to go with the Timbren axle-less and use hub converters. I really really don't like hub converters, but this suspension looks amazing. They already have electric brakes, so everything will be in place.

-----------

Roughed out the parts layout today. I've been getting lots in the mail this week. Also found a rv parts outlet locally!

----------

Outfitter flaked, so I bought an 8x8 flat bed and started dismantling today. Finish tomorrow and move axle-less trailer to flatbed. Need to get some quotes for prep (sandblast or dip) before bedliner goes on.

Sometimes (all of the time) I wish I had a shop. We're buying a ranch later this year, but it can't happen soon enough.

----------

Bed slider finally arrived. I pick it up tomorrow. Almost done stripping the trailer and ready to move it to the flatbed. Found a new sandblast co that I'll get a quote from. Picked up two cutting wheels for my grinder. Gotta make some cutout templates and get to cutting. Eek!

----------

Picked up the bed slider, tent, annex, and tonneau cover today.

Dropped off the bed slide for the cabinet & countertop to be fabricated. Yay!

----------

Made cardboard templates of the 3 holes I need to cut. Used some soap stone to trace them onto the box. Headed to the coast today, but I'll cut these out, hopefully Sunday/Monday.

Yesterday I picked up 4 24" Jack stands to put under while I remove the suspension. I had flashbacks of coyote sawing the board he was sitting on over the cliff. Lol don't want to remove 1 too many suspension bolts and end up with a head in the shape of a pistachio. I really hope to have this thing to the sandblaster Monday.

-----------

Today was a fun one, partly because I'm off work all week and partly because I completed a part of the project that I had no idea if I could actually do, almost completely, by myself.

This morning, I got out the grinder and put some holes in the side to fit the water inlet and shower.

I took a mid day break and picked up 2 1/2" 4x8 sheets of marine plywood and delivered to the cabinet guy. He's going to start framing out the cabinets and get me a quote for a stainless top, hopefully this week.

On to the big work:

I got 4 6 tonne Jack stands and blocked up the body. I removed the final attachments and disconnected the axle. I had no idea how I could get the axle out from under it. After much thought, I went back to my country boy roots and went hillbilly! I used 2 1000lb tiedown straps and attached them to the roof of my shitty apartment car port. I slowly ratcheted it up just enough to get the axle out. I rolled the axle out while my wonderful woman held the box still. Then it occurred to me that those tie down straps don't have the ability to ratchet open. Hmm. Now I have a box hanging from the roof of my shitty apartment car port and no way to get it down without dropping it. I rolled the other flatbed under and then after some fenagling, set up the Jack stands. I used my recovery Jack to lift up one end. Then I could loose the tie downs. The recovery Jack has a set-down option, so I could then lower it onto the flatbed. Bam!

My woman was impressed with my hillbilly ingenuity and the job is done. Ready for the sand blaster.

For sale: (sold)

----------

The_Just

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate I

Tualatin OR
Member #

Continued...

Dropped off the trailer at the blaster. Of course, after driving an hour there, I realized that I forgot the tailgate. Lol

----------

Trailer is still at the blaster. The summer heat is causing the compressor to overheat and they're way behind. Supposed to be done within a week, 3 weeks ago...

Ordered and received the countertop. I think it'll work great!. Got a quote for a stainless countertop: $2600... So I bought a stainless prep table on Amazon for $200. The dimensions are perfect. 24x60. Need to figure out how to mount the sink and stove, but we're starting from a lot more practical price range.

----------

Picked up the sand blasted trailer. Now I have to remember the name of the bed line place. Project is getting closer!

----------

Had some items line-x'd today. Should toughen up the plastic and help it match even more. Picked up the finished cabinet last week and dropped it at the line-x to have the wood coated to toughen it and of course look bad ass! :)

----------

Picked up the tub from the powder coater. Looks good, but is gloss black instead of the textured I had in my mind. Guess I should have clarified. Does match the truck for the most part and honestly it does look really good. Dropped it off at Line-x to have them spray the fenders to further tie it together.

----------

Picked up the tub from the Line-x place. Turned out fantastic. I had them hit the whole wood cabinet to match, put a step strip on the tub, and hit the propane cover. Aside from doubling the weight of the propane covers, it turned out fantastic. It's super tough on the plastic and looks excellent.

Started to put the custom Truxedo on, but they only sent me 8 screws. Not sure if that was intentional and I'm supposed to drill or they accidentally left out the clamps shown in the instructions. Guess I've got a phone call to make tomorrow...

Received a couple goodies this week and ordered a couple more. Received the ARB compressor. It now occurs to me that I can't use it until it's wired up. So I picked up a tank & compressor from Harbor Freight Tools along with an air wrench and a couple other goodies.

A big question I've had for a while is about the stove. Can I fit a marine oven in the cabinet. After some measuring of an rv stove, an Atwood, it appears as if just the same in my personal life, it's about 10" too short... Maybe they make a stumpy oven? Lol

Next: order suspension, find welder for custom rack and suspension adapter.

----------

Got the lo pro truxedo put on. Looks nice but I think I should have gotten a hard cover. Guess we'll see how it does in the bush.

----------

Next: Attach suspension, sort out wheels / tires

Black-Tie

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Virginia Beach
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Holmes
Member #

Service Branch
US Navy Veteran
Looking great! I wish I could find an M101 on the east coast for $500!

Reactions: The_Just

The_Just

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate I

Tualatin OR
Member #

Update:

I fit a Gantry Crane into the LR4. It was a tight fit. I made a wooden floor and used furniture dollys to roll the beams in. They are #250+ The I beam rested on the dash and ran to the lift gate.

I unloaded it into the garage, again using dollies. I had no idea how I would assemble it, by myself and with a 2" clearance. But I like challenges.

I've had an ongoing issue figuring out how to get the Compomotives (5*120) to fit the trailer hubs (6*5.5"). Adaptor Kings make me a set of custom 2 piece adaptors. I will need to have them machined to match the conical hubs.

I specifically went the adapter route because Timbren informed me that they didn't make a 5 stud hub for #3500 and the only way to get a 5 stud hub for their axle was to use a #2000 spindle, thus buying a new and lower weight rated suspension. Today, I came across a guy who put a 5*5.5 hub on his Timbren #3500. Say what? After some research, 5*4.75" aka 5*120.6 is obtainable and is ALMOST what I need 5*120. From what I've read, they should fit without needing an adapter. I've got a pair on order. [emoji106]

Wheels have been ordered from the UK and somehow got here in 3 days.

Ordered Goodyear Duratrac 275/65 R18 They're currently awaiting my pickup. Unfortunately, the LR4 has been in the shop all week. It's factory warranty is expiring soon so I had them go through everything. New water pump, rear bushings & alignment. I hope to have the wheels on this week!

The_Just

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate I

Tualatin OR
Member #

I think I have finally solved the suspension riddle.

The guy that has 5 stud on Timbren is using 3500#, not 3500HD. I'm using 3500HD which is really set up at 5600#, thus my issue. Had I gone with non HD 3500# I could have just gotten different hubs. Now I need to decide if it's worth getting an entirely new suspension just to make the hubs match. ($750) Live & Learn.

Adaptors need to be machined to match the conical hubs.

Wheels & tires, black lugs & center caps are home. They look great!

UPDATE:
The 5 stud trailer hubs fit the LR bolt pattern, but the bearing housing sticks out too far and is too large diameter to fit inside of the Compomotive wheels. This means that I will need a spacer for the 2000#, 3500# or any 10" trailer brake.

My initial desire was to find a solution that doesn't require modification of 'off the shelf' parts. Neither of these solutions offer that. I already had 3500#HD Timbren that requires adapters, so I think I'll stay this course. I like the added weight handling of the 3500HD and extra tough hardware although it's pretty hefty. I'm certainly not worried about it breaking.

Last edited:

PNW EXPLR

Local Expert Southeast Washington, USA
Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
This is an awesome project. Looks really nice, Great Job.

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Catalina Avenue, Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
This is a great build project. Watching intently. That is a big change going from Raptor to Disco. Did you no longer enjoy the Ford? They are pretty awesome off road vehicles and the parts/accesories have to be much cheaper than the LR.

The_Just

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate I

Tualatin OR
Member #

I prefer the SUV utility over the less useful 5.5 Raptor bed. Parking and driving the Raptor around town was a big pain. Usually can't take or wouldn't want to take that big wide body down wooded trails like we have in the PNW. LR has much more refined 4x4 capabilities and seats 7. Raptor was loud and unruly. [emoji14]

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Catalina Avenue, Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
I guess the Ford is a bit big, made for the desert type of off roading and not the woods. Bit less power now but more refined for sure.. Just finished watching the TFL Truck video choose the '17 Raptor as best off road vehicle. They really love the new 450hp engine.

The_Just

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate I

Tualatin OR
Member #

Got the adapters machined to fit the taper on the hubs. Also took a little off the hubs to fit in the center of the wheels.

Next step: attach suspension

I assembled one set up to see how much it weighs. I lifted one several times around the shop and in/out of my truck. My back hurt after. Lol

The answer is: a lot! (115#)
Compo wheel, 275/65/R18 GY Duratrac, 5 lugs, 1 two-piece adapter, 6 torx, 6 cone nuts, 1 hub

Last edited:

Art

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Woodinville, WA
Member #

That is a rad looking build so far! If you dont mind me asking where in Seattle did you find it or was it just from a regular person?

The_Just

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate I

Tualatin OR
Member #

That is a rad looking build so far! If you dont mind me asking where in Seattle did you find it or was it just from a regular person?
I think I found it on Craigslist by a regular person. It was full of tube steel which I sold and made a few $$ back.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Art