AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
I just purchased an 1954 M100 Dunbar Kapple trailer and want to document my build. This is my 5th trailer in 6 years although I am keeping trailer number 4. Trailer 4 is my VRV Teardrop. It's a great trailer and I have been slowly modifying it as I see fit. This M100 will be my "go anywhere" trailer along with being a general utility trailer for around the house. The first trailer I ever owned was an M416 with a fixed RTT frame. Currently I have no plans to add a tent or a hard lid on this trailer. I may add some type of slide out tray to make it easier to load and unload gear. TBD. I always say there is no perfect trailer. So why not own two?

Here she is day 1

This build will come in phases based on time and available funds.

Phase I:
- Remove the lid (done)
- Change shocks (done)
- Lubricate all areas of the trailer (done)
- Install new wheel bearings
- Re-wire the trailer (Has a 6 pin and I am switching it to a 4 pin with all new wiring
- Remove 20lb propane tank holder and clean up the tongue
- Paint tongue (done)
- Fabricate an extended tongue with a 2" receiver so I can use the trailer hitch of my choice
- Replace all old bolts with new ones. Grade 8 where required
- Source a proper spare with matching rim
- Make sure the trailer is 100% road worthy
- Replace the tail light lens covers (done)

Phase II -
Powder coat the Jerry Can Holders
Get the tub sand blasted and re-painted (Likely stick with a traditional military color)
Design and fabricate a spare tire holder

Things to ponder for future phases:
Do I keep the stock axle and Jeep hubs or do I swap and match Toyota. At this point other than carrying an extra spare I am fine with the Jeep hubs. If I can fit a 30" tire on the stock rims I would be happy. TBD I could also just upgrade to larger rims to accommodate larger tires.

Since I plan on keeping things "simple" I don't see the need for a tongue box with an electrical system or onboard H2O other than what I can carry in Jerry Cans which I already own. My sleeping quarters with this setup will be my Oztent RV-5. Most of my gear is fairly portable and easy to switch between trailers or for vehicle travel only.

More Photos from Week 1:

Glamour Shot

Big brother with little sister

Painted and cleaned up

Grade 8 Bolts installed

Last edited:

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Last edited:

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Placeholder for Phase III

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
It's been a good week for trailer restoration.

All of the following have been completed:

- Removed the lid
- Removed to 20lb tank holder
- Cleaned up and painted the tongue bars and installed new Grade 8 Bolts
- New 2" receiver setup will be done this week (Bolt on via the lunette setup) I will be using a Lock-N-Roll hitch the majority of the time but will be able to use a 2" ball or the original pintle setup. Pictures soon
- New Shocks installed
- All new 4 pin wiring harness with new 4 wire insulated wiring through the trailer. (Old was loose individual wires, fraying and breaking)
- Cleaned and lubricated all of the suspension points
- Found sources for future part replacements

This week:

Hopefully I ordered the right wheel bearing kit. If not I will at least clean and grease the current ones
Need to road test and pressure wash the bottom of the trailer. It is a haven for spiders and they don't want to leave.

I need to decide what jack stand I want to use. I have removed the factory leg but could easily put it back on while deciding that I finally want. These are so light that

A cargo cover/tarp has been ordered. Good enough for Phase I

Future:
I still need to find a spare rim. I have 15" rims which are rare and I have been unable to find. 16" in the same style are readily available. I just might have to have a 16" spare. We will see. I am still deciding on whether to keep everything stock or do an axle swap for a Toyota bolt pattern setup.

I may install at 33"x60" RV Cargo tray from MORyde to make it easy to get a majority of the gear in and out of the trailer via the tailgate ($420)

Sandblast and paint the tub (Will pay to have this done)

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
That's going to come out nice. I had forgotten what mine looked like when I got it. Cant wait to see it done.

Todd & Meg

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Now that I have been using our teardrop I’m thinking a second small lightweight trailer might be in the future. But I do like all the comforts we have now.

Todd