Launch Member

Traveler III

Bellingham, WA, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Adams
Member #

I'm looking for some inspiration. I salvaged an old lumber rack off a Mazda pickup the other week and have since cut it up and extended it for use on my full size. Unit is pretty skookum and is coming along well.

For anyone running a custom bed rack (maybe with an over the cab extension?) I'd like to know about how you set it up. I'm mostly trying to decide mounting points for misc gear and different ways to get creative.

Note: I won't steal ideas outright. The nature of a blank slate means I can't filter through all the possibilities. I just need a few concrete things to put some constraints on the project.

Thanks in advance. Extra credit for pics!

Shakes355

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Bellingham, WA, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Adams
Member #

Isn't there a rule somewhere about soliciting pics of my rack, Billiebob? ;)

Let me clarify the intent, here. My rack is a generic square tube frame unit. No frills. No mounting points. What someone is imagining, is probably spot on. I want to know if anyone on here is overlanding with another generic rack (not purchased readybuilt for overlanding) and if so, It'd be much obliged if they could offer up some pics or a description of their setup.

I've got some ideas in progress but inspiration is hard to come by since most folks are running caps/canopies or purpose built units that I can't afford.

Thanks again

Shakes355

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Bellingham, WA, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Adams
Member #

@472HemiGTX
The hitch carrier is a nice touch. I've always appreciated the "Chase Rack" style.

Is your rotopax mount secured to the bed side or is there a drop bracket off the rack mounting plate?

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Just as curious about what you have as you are about what we have, cannot imagine why you don't want to share. The original post is intriguing.

472HemiGTX

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Prineville. OR
First Name
Allen
Last Name
S
Member #

The Roto Pax and Cam Can mounts are separate and attach with bolts to the rack brackets so that they can be removed. The spare/jack mount swivels up on poly bushings to give you full use of the bed floor and is also removable. Since this picture was taken, I've added a bike fork clamp to the left side of the spare mount to hold my mountain bike.

WP_20180218_13_52_08_Pro.jpgWP_20180218_13_43_58_Pro.jpg

Reactions: Shakes355

IAm_Not_Lost

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Arizona
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Yeats
Member #

This was the most recent photo though I wasn't finished with the extension. It's fully squared and sanded now.
I find it interesting that the sides don't angle in to fit the general contour of a vehicle. I would imagine it would look very square and bulky at the top where it will stick out over the sides.

Anyways though, I think a blank canvas ladder rack would be awesome. I would do one of two things with it:

plan A: enclose it with canvas panels so that you have a large roof rack on the top and an enclosed area inside. I'm thinking canvas stretched over it with a few spots on the sides and back with zippers/mesh, exc. Since it is a very square design that would actually be pretty easy (you know, relatively). RTT on the top, light stuff and solar panels on the front of the rack extension.
plan B: Leave it open, weld some mounting points on the sides for accessories, make it look snazzy, top part same as plan A.

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

I have a custom rack that is 12" long and extends around the shell on a 8' bed. 5 cross members and it 12" high on the sides. If I were to do it again I would have the mounts as wide as possible running down the top of the bed. I have seen some that have a 1/4" rail that runs the length of the bed.

Shakes355

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Bellingham, WA, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Adams
Member #

@IAm_Not_Lost
Thanks for the input. I'm not super concerned about covered sections though I have batted around the idea of some canvas panels if I decided to camp out of the back. I'm more likely to enclose the sides using expanded metal mesh (like locking access doors) for security concerns. As for the form, it is most certainly very square/box-like. But looking at the construction it is definitely a prefab unit and not a homemade jobber. So I wanted to keep its initial form and design.

I also think it's worth mentioning that I will not be mounting an RTT.

IAm_Not_Lost

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Arizona
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Yeats
Member #

@IAm_Not_Lost
Thanks for the input. I'm not super concerned about covered sections though I have batted around the idea of some canvas panels if I decided to camp out of the back. I'm more likely to enclose the sides using expanded metal mesh (like locking access doors) for security concerns. As for the form, it is most certainly very square/box-like. But looking at the construction it is definitely a prefab unit and not a homemade jobber. So I wanted to keep its initial form and design.

I also think it's worth mentioning that I will not be mounting an RTT.
I like the expanded metal mesh idea. Would work very well basic security. Good to note on the RTT. You could make all sorts of cool mounting brackets on the roof then for mounting stuff.

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

Here is my truck and rack. I added foot steps to make getting on the roof easier, you might want to consider.20181221_144849 (1).jpg