CBizKit

Rank 0

Contributor I

Sasebo, Nagasaki, Japan
First Name
Rand
Last Name
Stop
My rig is a 2022 Ram 1500 eco diesel 4x4 Crew cab short bed with Ram Box, I got it for it's fuel efficiency over landing is an after thought. I want to be able to go camping with the dog and significant other. The idea of take a week or two and going prospecting and just be out for that long. I'm a 6'1 270 pound vegetarian.
I'm a bit of a minimalist, after decades of lugging around junk I've never used I prefer to keep things simple, but I like redundancy. I want something I can put in the garage/storage unit when not in use. I would like to be up off the ground when I sleep, but I'd like the dog to get up too. I like the idea of integrated solar panels. I'm not sure how I feel about an expedition trailer.
Anything I need to consider before I get too heavy into being silly?

Reactions: MSD

John Bishop

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Harpers Ferry, WV, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Bishop
Member #

I saw this set up at Expo east and thought it was pretty slick. And affordable!
It uses your topper. If I didn’t already have a Jeep with an Ursa Minor, I’d be all over this. As it is, it has me keeping my eyes open for a used topper for my Tacoma.

Reactions: MSD

CBizKit

Rank 0

Contributor I

Sasebo, Nagasaki, Japan
First Name
Rand
Last Name
Stop
I want to be able to keep the bed open for tools for prospecting, and to hold the galley. I really like the semi-permanance of the overloading galleys even some of the camper builds I've seen but I will need to carry tools. Water bins, some pumps, etc.

Matt Hixson

Rank V

Member I

Big Lake, WA, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Hixson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FZJ
I like to overland camp with my CVT tent mounted on my Humvee trailer. The reason I like this setup is that I can completely setup camp with the CVT and its annex for standup changing, coat hanging, boot leaving, etc. Then I can take my Hummer out on day trips from base camp with mountain bikes or hiking gear or whatever. It might work for you to have a trailer of some kind so you can setup base camp and go out on prospecting excursions in your truck without having to pack up the entire camp to do so.

lhoffm4

Rank III

Advocate I

Boise, Idaho
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Hoffman
Service Branch
US Navy
I like the idea of keeping it simple, but there is wisdom in planning your build around what you want to do. Lots of folks would throw a roof tent on top and gear in the bed and go. Then you hear how they get frustrated when ever they have to pack up camp to go explore. If you like to move around after setting up camp, an adventure trailer makes more sense. In your case that’s what I would recommend, so your tow rig can carry your play toys and tools and the trailer can house the kitchen and camp gear/sleep gear.

That leaves you with choices- buy or diy. Pros and cons for each. Buy something and modify/adapt it to your purpose or list out all the features you want and decide if you can afford to buy it or build it. There are some crazy cool builders out there but today’s prices are not for the meek. Most of the features are plug and play so can be set up on any rig.

My personal view- DIY. More bang for my hard earned bucks. I learn about the maintenance and limitations of the gear as I research building, mounting, using it. Save considerable $$. Granted I can’t build everything but I can research quality, shop prices and install myself vs paying someone else to make the choices and labor.

I started with a truck bed trailer, added a topper shell, then modified a contractor rack to fit over it. Added a deck the full length of the rack, then a rooftop tent. Built a 180 degree batwing awning and a kick-ass style shower stall that fits inside a gun case that detaches from the roof rack. Most of these projects are on YouTubes and are not difficult if you are handy and have access to tools.

Lots of folks can help with ideas if not hands on depending where you are and if you buy pizza and beer. ;)

Reactions: CBizKit

CBizKit

Rank 0

Contributor I

Sasebo, Nagasaki, Japan
First Name
Rand
Last Name
Stop
I'm thinking of starting light, going out a few times with a Tammock since they're reasonable priced and I can always keep it as a back up. Seeing what I want and need. Before I get too out of hand. I've got a friend who's land I'll make use of, I have his permission.

With the lengths I'm going to want to go out for I will eventually need a back up power supply and I like the idea of solar, putting some planets on poles so I have something to work under while charging my batteries. I'm surprised no one is selling that.

If I decide for something that stays in the truck bed I'm thinking jacks like for a slide in to make removing it easy, but we'll see what actually works.

My first concerns are recovery, lighting as far as actual mods go. Has anyone see hidden winches? Do they work and differently than the aftermarket bumper mods?

Reactions: lhoffm4

lhoffm4

Rank III

Advocate I

Boise, Idaho
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Hoffman
Service Branch
US Navy
I'm thinking of starting light, going out a few times with a Tammock since they're reasonable priced and I can always keep it as a back up. Seeing what I want and need. Before I get too out of hand. I've got a friend who's land I'll make use of, I have his permission.

With the lengths I'm going to want to go out for I will eventually need a back up power supply and I like the idea of solar, putting some planets on poles so I have something to work under while charging my batteries. I'm surprised no one is selling that.

If I decide for something that stays in the truck bed I'm thinking jacks like for a slide in to make removing it easy, but we'll see what actually works.

My first concerns are recovery, lighting as far as actual mods go. Has anyone see hidden winches? Do they work and differently than the aftermarket bumper mods?
the idea of evolving as you go is quite practical. A hammock is very practical and as things develop it is always a camp favorite. It also implies you are not in a truck or may notbe pulling a trailer. Will it somehow connect to your rig, or willit require a stand or even trees in camp to hang from? I like the idea of solar and even possibly having panels act as a roof for an awning. Will that be something you have to break down each trip or will it somehow attach to your rig? If you are not in a truck, where will it be stowed?
Possibilities are endless and only limited by imagination. Some of us think in terms of DIY, some in terms of what’s commercially available that fits our transport vehicle, trailer, budget, etc.

feel free to elaborate on your current set up and help us visualize how it could evolve into your dream set up. Then we can offer ideas on gear, mods, etc. to get you where you want to be. I was once told “you can have nearly anything you want...so longas YOU control what it is you want.” I have found that to be both an inspiration and at times a challenge... Challenge accepted!

CBizKit

Rank 0

Contributor I

Sasebo, Nagasaki, Japan
First Name
Rand
Last Name
Stop
the idea of evolving as you go is quite practical. A hammock is very practical and as things develop it is always a camp favorite. It also implies you are not in a truck or may notbe pulling a trailer. Will it somehow connect to your rig, or willit require a stand or even trees in camp to hang from? I like the idea of solar and even possibly having panels act as a roof for an awning. Will that be something you have to break down each trip or will it somehow attach to your rig? If you are not in a truck, where will it be stowed?
Possibilities are endless and only limited by imagination. Some of us think in terms of DIY, some in terms of what’s commercially available that fits our transport vehicle, trailer, budget, etc.

feel free to elaborate on your current set up and help us visualize how it could evolve into your dream set up. Then we can offer ideas on gear, mods, etc. to get you where you want to be. I was once told “you can have nearly anything you want...so longas YOU control what it is you want.” I have found that to be both an inspiration and at times a challenge... Challenge accepted!
Tammock is free standing: Tammock - Portable Hammock Tent with Stand
I have a truck, but that will just be transport for now. A couple of the ideas I'm working on for the Solar awning are; a) free standing one with Portable panels or a solar blanket, like a pop-up canopy with solar cells attached. I might have to fabricate my own; b) one that's attached to a rig and as I set up camp I put the legs down and can pull the panels over it, this would give me a better working area , maybe flexible panels mounted to a thin Aluminum sheet, light weight. The biggest draw back to this is I'd have to set my rig a certain way to get the greatest benefit from it. Though they could be semi-permanently mounted on my rig to continuously draw power and just also make an awning allowing for better angle and cooling when setting up. Since a shoe string budget would be an improvement I'll be arm chair designing this for a bit.

Reactions: lhoffm4

lhoffm4

Rank III

Advocate I

Boise, Idaho
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Hoffman
Service Branch
US Navy
I dig it. I don’t DIY because I love it! $aving money and still wanting to run with big dogs plays a part. Not for show and tell, but for functionality and purpose. For example, when I started looking at fox wing awnings or even rooftop tents, or even road showers, sticker shock was a huge factor in helping me decide to build my own. Then as I researched details, materials, etc. I quickly concluded I was right, at least for me.

I have seen and even own a GI-style hammock tent. I also like to bring a hammock stand (like a patio thing-takes apart but not for camping light) mostly when the whole family goes. So there is a hammock in camp even if trees are not. I will have to look up your tammock. I also like the idea of solar panels on the awning legs. On my trailer, I plan to mount panels some where, just have not yet decided where. I have tent annex off the back, batwing on driver side and tent/awningroom and shower stall on passenger. I also built a deck on the contractor rack in front of the tent, and have decided I like sitting up there so anything that travels up there must be removeable in camp.

that leaves mounting panels either above awnings on both sides of trailer that hinge out from the trailer to deploy or on the roof of my tow vehicle. Or until your idea presented itself- on top of a free standing awning frame as part of the awning cover.

So it’s all fluid and evolving. That’s why I enjoy the forum, to brain storm and chat with others walking the same path.

I think, for me, I tend to over do my hobbies. In my camp/hunt rig, I want amenities, but don’t want as much work on set up. Popping a tent open dropping a tailgate to access a kitchen is minimal. Adding other tents, awnings, annexes, starts to be work again. Large family gatherings aside. I want my rig to be scalable from Alpine to Expedition class excursions. What I should do is just buy an RV like everyone else... but then I’d have to camp where everyone else in them do. I just enjoy being where others are NOT too much. Haha.

I apologize for prattling on. Keep going on your thought and ideas. You are on the path. I’m sure your set up will be great!

lhoffm4

Rank III

Advocate I

Boise, Idaho
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Hoffman
Service Branch
US Navy
Tammock is free standing: Tammock - Portable Hammock Tent with Stand
I have a truck, but that will just be transport for now. A couple of the ideas I'm working on for the Solar awning are; a) free standing one with Portable panels or a solar blanket, like a pop-up canopy with solar cells attached. I might have to fabricate my own; b) one that's attached to a rig and as I set up camp I put the legs down and can pull the panels over it, this would give me a better working area , maybe flexible panels mounted to a thin Aluminum sheet, light weight. The biggest draw back to this is I'd have to set my rig a certain way to get the greatest benefit from it. Though they could be semi-permanently mounted on my rig to continuously draw power and just also make an awning allowing for better angle and cooling when setting up. Since a shoe string budget would be an improvement I'll be arm chair designing this for a bit.
I looked it up. The tammock looks to be a perfect beach accessory, or even for a back yard gathering. People are so creative!