SalmonSlicer

Rank II

Enthusiast III

NJ, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Valotta
The last few months I've been searching for the vehicle I want to eventually build.

I've narrowed it down to the following vehicles:

4Runner TRD OR
Chevy Colorado ZR2
Ford Ranger FX-4 or Tremor
Toyota Tacoma TRD OR

I think all are great choices in their own way. It may come down to availability and price. I've driven all of them and found the Ranger and ZR2 to have the best drivability among them.

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

Far more relevant, in my view, is what you want to do.
Exactly.

@SalmonSlicer what is your style of "Overlanding" and off-roading? Will the vehicle be your only vehicle and daily driver? If so, what is your daily drive like? Do you plan a trailer, Roof Top Tent, or other heavy gear? Of those, I'd personally do the ZR2 for the factory front/rear lockers and availability of a nice little diesel, but that's just me.

-TJ

JimBill

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

San Benito County, CA, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Madison
Member #

It may come down to which is more comfortable for you to spend long hours in. I was deep into finding a FX-4 Ranger, and found 1 in the state equipped as I wanted and priced to move (end of year get it off the lot......).
Made the trip up to see it, and when I sat in it found it was undriveable for me. Didn't even fire it up, let alone test drive it. The poor salesman, in my frustration I told him it's a boys truck and left. But its my issue, I am 6'4" and 295 lbs.
All your choices have capability. Leave the checkbook at home and go sit in and test drive each. Perhaps the list will narrow.

Last edited:

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Exactly.

@SalmonSlicer Of those, I'd personally do the ZR2 for the factory front/rear lockers and availability of a nice little diesel, but that's just me.

-TJ
All the rigs he mentioned have factory lockers...

Question about diesels since you brought it up... can these new diesels run bio-fuel? I’m asking because by 2025 Oregon is going to be Bio-Diesel only... yep great legislation here is making it illegal even for the big rigs to run Dino Fuel in the state.

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
It may come down to which is more comfortable for you to spend long hours in. I was deep into finding a FX-4 Ranger, and found 1 in the state equipped as I wanted and priced to move (end of year get it off the lot......).
Made the trip up to see it, and when I sat in it found it was undriveable for me. Didn't even fire it up, let alone test drive it. The poor salesman, in my frustration I told him it's a boys truck and left. But its my issue, I am 6'4" and 295 lbs.
All your choices have capability. Leave the checkbook at home and go sit in and test drive each. Perhaps the list will narrow.
A very good point.

When we bought the vehicle we used on our first "big trip", on which we drove 49,000 Km in 11 months, we tried various vehicles which looked viable in terms of size and equipment and when we sat in the last one it felt "right" - no further exploration needed.

Reactions: SalmonSlicer

SalmonSlicer

Rank II

Enthusiast III

NJ, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Valotta
Honestly, all of the above vehicles I could live with. I've test driven the Ranger, 4Runner, Colorado and Tacoma.

I'm looking for the perfect all arounder for my needs which consist of hauling things now and then, as well as weekend off-road trips.

What I like about each:

Colorado - ZR2 is very capable with front locker and good on road.
Ranger - Good all around truck with a good powertrain.
4Runner - dated but reliable.
Tacoma - reliable but not nice to drive.
Jeep - questionable reliability, but Gladiator trim does everything well.

Reactions: osakachaka

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

All the rigs he mentioned have factory lockers...

Question about diesels since you brought it up... can these new diesels run bio-fuel? I’m asking because by 2025 Oregon is going to be Bio-Diesel only... yep great legislation here is making it illegal even for the big rigs to run Dino Fuel in the state.
I said/meant front & rear, not just rear. Everything new can run on up to B20, AFAIK. Are you sure that Oregon is going to 100% Bio, or just ALL B20? I'd be really surprised if it's 100% Bio, rigs won't be able to supply Oregon anymore. RVs will be screwed (Oregon is a big RV state), etc.

-TJ

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

Honestly, all of the above vehicles I could live with. I've test driven the Ranger, 4Runner, Colorado and Tacoma.

I'm looking for the perfect all arounder for my needs which consist of hauling things now and then, as well as weekend off-road trips.

What I like about each:

Colorado - ZR2 is very capable with front locker and good on road.
Ranger - Good all around truck with a good powertrain.
4Runner - dated but reliable.
Tacoma - reliable but not nice to drive.
Jeep - questionable reliability, but Gladiator trim does everything well.
Have you looked around on the Taco forums and YT about late-model T4R and Taco reliability? I'm not sure I'd rank either as particularly reliable, especially if you count being able to shift into 4L, or a generally stable electrical system as part of reliability.

-TJ

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

All your choices will do the job, I do prefer a truck over a suv style. Hauling stuff in a suv is a PITA to clean afterwards. Everything is trade off when it comes to overlanding. Comfort driving would be important to me, putting in aftermarket seats isn’t something most want to do. I am not a big fan of farkels all over the cockpit so conductivity might be a issue for onboard screens. I would think about what you want to windup with, can you get the upgrades you want without going overseas $$$ ? Can I get the “WHATEVER’ I want easily, or will it require some mods to work. Maybe you want to make it all yourself. You’ll never get the money you spend back on your build out. I hope you have fun with whatever you chose.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I said/meant front & rear, not just rear. Everything new can run on up to B20, AFAIK. Are you sure that Oregon is going to 100% Bio, or just ALL B20? I'd be really surprised if it's 100% Bio, rigs won't be able to supply Oregon anymore. RVs will be screwed (Oregon is a big RV state), etc.

-TJ
Only the Ranger has Rear Only Lockers... Tocoma and 4Runner both have front and rear lockers.
The Bio-Diesel ban is on the senate floor next week...and all your points have been brought forward as well... with still little Resistance to the bill in legislation.

Last edited:

SalmonSlicer

Rank II

Enthusiast III

NJ, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Valotta
Only the Ranger has Rear Only Lockers... Tocoma and 4Runner both have front and rear lockers.
The Bio-Diesel ban is on the senate floor next week...and all your points have been brought forward as well... with still little Resistance to the bill in legislation.
Tacoma and 4Runner only have rear lockers. Trail control mimics a front locker.

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

My 4Runner has factory locker front rear and center
Then you got the only 1 any of us have heard of with a stock front locker. Yes, some do have a locking center diff, and others have a true non-AWD t-case that doesn't need a locker in the center, because it's not a diff... but none that I'm aware of had a front locker stock.

-TJ

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

Tacoma and 4Runner only have rear lockers. Trail control mimics a front locker.
Saying that trail control "mimics" a front locker is generous. Yes, trail control works and will allow an open-diff to still send some power to both wheels when one is at a traction disadvantage, but when really pushed it doesn't approach the capability of a true locker. FWIW, Ranger also does not have a front locker, only rear.

-TJ