Rank I

Traveler I

Franklin, OH, USA
First Name
Sam
Last Name
Warner
Member #

Hi everyone! We’re from Ohio and will be traveling to Florida via KY, TN, GA. We have a campground spot in Georgia, and a 2 night stay in Panama City at a campground, and are planning on spending a couple of nights on Ocala National Forest, doing some dispersed camping. We’re looking for spots in Georgia or South Carolina that we can camp. I’ve reached out to a couple of ranger stations in Francis Marion who told me car camping is not allowed outside of the regular campgrounds. Does anyone have any suggestions? We have a Jeep with a roof top tent and wanted to find some places to stay outside of the campgrounds. We’ll also probably look for a place in NC too, but there seems to be plenty in north GA or NC/TN area. We’re just coming up empty for the return trip home. Thanks in advance!

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
the wife and i have done a lot of camping and traveling in TN, GA, NC, etc and i haven't come across any good boondocking areas. i did find one spot in GA a few miles from Amicolola state park and it was a hard to travel dirt/mud road about 15 miles long with a couple nasty places to pull over and set up a tent. boring area with nothing to see, so whats the point?
we just stay at state parks now and in the off season, we get spots for $20 or less with very few people around. if we're traveling across state or a long distance, we just pull over at rest areas and sleep. most of the big rest areas are always full of 18 wheelers so we just find a spot to park and sleep and then its just a minute to get back on the interstate. i know you wanted to find info on boondocking, but i really havent found any myself out in that area.

people are very strict now days and very quick to call the police, so i take no chances. ive been in areas i thought was state land, but found out it was private so i find its just better to stay in places exclusively set up for camping

Western

Rank V

Member II

Johns Creek, GA, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Bowman
Member #

Georgia is blessed with a well mapped trail system on Trailsoffroad.com...... so if you come through here, make sure you check it out! It should help you greatly! ( NC is not mapped hardly at all )

Wayward Bones

Rank I

Traveler I

Franklin, OH, USA
First Name
Sam
Last Name
Warner
Member #

Georgia is blessed with a well mapped trail system on Trailsoffroad.com...... so if you come through here, make sure you check it out! It should help you greatly! ( NC is not mapped hardly at all )
Thanks! We ended up camping at Fort Mountain. Beautiful area. We visited Ocala National Forest in Florida and stayed in a maintained campground since it was hunting season, but definitely found a few spots to camp off-grid once hunting season is over. We may go back in the Spring.