Looking for an easy/low moderate trail to camp and get initiated (Base is San Joaquin Cnty)

• HTML tutorial

RedHerring

Rank I

Enthusiast I

San Joaquin County, California, United States
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Fisher
I just bought my first 4x4 vehicle and I’m just getting into overlanding. Never have done any 4x4 trails in my life. I’m a bit intimidated by large groups (due to my lack of experience and knowledge at the moment) and I just want to get out there and cut my teeth on a small trip or two before the season is out. My goal is to just visit some nice secluded or semi-secluded places to enjoy the adventure and camp. I’m really excited to get started.

I’ve been watching so many videos, reading so many forums/topics, and seeing so many apps and sources that I’m just overwhelmed on where to start haha!

Was just kind of looking for recommendations on beautiful places to go that would suit my level.
Recommendations on absolute necessary items I may not be thinking of, and any tips anyone would be willing to share.

I’m well versed in camping provisions but overlanding gear, obviously not at all. I’m aware going solo is not the best idea the further deep and moderate trails you do, so I’m not quite sure how to handle that but that’s why I’m here, to hopefully make new friends, memories, and adventures.

I’m from San Joaquin County. I have a 2022 GMC Canyon AT4 V6 Crew Cab 4x4 all stock, w/ 265/65R17 Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac tires. I haven’t made any performance type mods yet as I want to make sure I fully understand what I want and need before jumping in.

I’m sorry if this is the wrong area to post. There are so many forums sub categories I didn’t know where would be best.

Reactions: Mark E and Ubiety

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Keep an eye on Rally Point to find local members going out on adventures. You can look for small groups and easy trails. IMO the best way to learn is to hang with experienced folks; you will see how they handle a trail and can emulate or not - and learn from that. In my experience OB folks are super friendly and totally willing to help and educate. A lot of offroad trails are easy peasy, just like driving on the road - gravel is not challenging neither are ruts as long as you keep your tires high (out of the ruts). No better way to learn than with a few helpful folks to make suggestions. Good luck!

Reactions: RedHerring

RedHerring

Rank I

Enthusiast I

San Joaquin County, California, United States
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Fisher
Keep an eye on Rally Point to find local members going out on adventures. You can look for small groups and easy trails. IMO the best way to learn is to hang with experienced folks; you will see how they handle a trail and can emulate or not - and learn from that. In my experience OB folks are super friendly and totally willing to help and educate. A lot of offroad trails are easy peasy, just like driving on the road - gravel is not challenging neither are ruts as long as you keep your tires high (out of the ruts). No better way to learn than with a few helpful folks to make suggestions. Good luck!
Thanks for the reply - great tips.

Reactions: Ubiety

Inthewoods

Local Expert Central CA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Visalia, CA, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Garcia
Member #

Thanks for the reply - great tips.
Hi, did you ever go out and try any trails before the weather turned wintery?
No. Unfortunately I didn’t. Hopefully I’ll be able to hook up with some folks come spring.
I know the Joaquin valley is bigger than 9 US states. If you're close to Visalia CA then we have meetings you can join in. OB people are very helpful and happy to help with information on rigs.

Reactions: RedHerring