Living in 5th Gen 4Runner during college?

• HTML tutorial

frosty_t4r

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Flagstaff, AZ, USA
First Name
Jacob
Last Name
Cogburn
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS -- WROT556
I am a college student in Flagstaff and looking at alternative living opportunities. Has anyone lived in their vehicle during college with their partner to save on living expenses? I am considering it but definitely concerned because it would be a big change. Does anyone have any suggestions about this idea?

cody92595

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Arlington, WA
First Name
Dakota
Last Name
Howard
Member #

I am a college student in Flagstaff and looking at alternative living opportunities. Has anyone lived in their vehicle during college with their partner to save on living expenses? I am considering it but definitely concerned because it would be a big change. Does anyone have any suggestions about this idea?
I think it would add a lot of unnecessary stress like sanitation, on top of getting school work done. A sprinter van would be easier since you actually have room to move around. But a SUV? There just isn’t enough space.

P8trit

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Montana
First Name
Travis
Last Name
Campbell
You wouldn't make it very long in that tight an area and living even in an RV is tough on a person. The stress of where to park or bathrooms is very high.

Reactions: frosty_t4r

Mike W

US MidWest Region Local Expert
Staff member
Investor

Expedition Master III

Iowa, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

I'm just trying to think of how you would have an easy comfortable space to study. I guess you could always use a library or something but that would suck IMO.

AggieOE

Rank IV

Advocate II

Pearland, Texas, USA
First Name
Nathan
Last Name
NWK
Member #

Looking back at the ups and downs of college, you really need a space to stress and decompress, especially with someone else in the picture. An RV could be possible but an SUV sounds horrific.
I know many people who struggled through school and although they got through it, it didn’t sound good.

Indigoblue

Rank I

Contributor I

Jupiter, FL, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murphy
I lived in an Audi for 12 months. I had toxic mold poisoning and could not go back in my condo. It was safer to be outside. I actually parked in Flagstaff over the summer and slept in my front seat of a darn sports car. Pooped in the woods and all that. Honestly it wasn't bad but I'm tough as nails. I would have NO idea how u would do this in winter. Flagstaff is cold as can be. When it got cold I drove to Florida. There are groups of people called mold avoiders who sleep in vehicles in attempt to heal. However, winter would be crazy

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

I lived in a 10 ft trailer for a school year in college in CO. I had a free place to park it with power, water was filled with 5 gal jugs. The winter was cold but doable. I moved back to an apartment the next year.

Gatorgrizz27

Rank I

Contributor III

Tallahassee, FL, USA
First Name
Jon
Last Name
Gunder
You’ve got a 5th Gen 4 runner (presumably). If $ is tight enough to consider living in it, sell it. With a reasonable place to live and a roommate, you should have 4 year’s worth of $ there, whether it’s in cash or saved payments.

I could see it being fun/practical for a month between leases, a summer, etc, but no way I’d want to do that while in school full time.

Student housing has gotten nuts here with luxury apartments, etc recently. I knew guys that lived in dumps of houses with a mattress in the corner of the living room and a sheet hung from the ceiling, they were paying $150-$200/month.

Knowing what I do now about building wealth, I would 100% go back and buy either a 2/2 duplex or 3 bedroom house, and get roommates. There are FHA loans, down payment assistance, etc. With interest rates being what they are right now, you probably won’t be able to live “for free” but at least you aren’t wasting money.

DON’T buy it with your girlfriend, and DON’T let her live there for free/groceries/utilities/etc. She will get tired of the roommates and want to “play house” with just the two of you.

Presumably, in 3-4 years interest rates will be a bit lower and you’ll have built up some equity in it. You can refinance, pull a little bit of cash out for a down payment on another house, and it becomes a full rental.

K12

Rank VII

Endurance III

Idaho, United States
First Name
Beau
Last Name
K12
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force
Im finishing my masters and did not like having a house, which was forcing me to work full time. For the last year-ish ive been living out of my truck and Trailer (HQ19) and feel a lot better. The first few months where online finishing course work and the last 5ish months have been in person internships. I have been staying in an rv park which im not a fan of but I like it 100 times more than an apartment or a house. When I have time off I take my house and move to the mountains for a weekend to get away and decompress. If you are in resident school and your wife is working its much more afordable to pay for an rv and spot than an apartment, and add the freedom on top of that. If you are strictly online, as I was for the first 4 months, living in my setup I enjoyed traveling and getting school work done in the peace and quiet of the outdoors.

With all that being said everyone approaches school different and has needs that have to be fullfilled to do their best and get the most out of it. Living solely in an SUV imo would be miserable even if it was just me, couldnt imagine adding a second person or pets to the mix.

Reactions: DintDobbs

ScottCano

Rank I

Contributor III

To be honest, it doesn't sound like a good plan.
I understand that it's a way to save some money, but still, it will be uncomfortable, and there will be another person too. You're a student, and you need to have some comfort to study, do homework, and a place to relax. I'm a student myself and I need my laptop mostly, but still, the car is not the perfect place. I usually study in the library because I have access to all the info I need. From time to time I also use the help of https://essays.edubirdie.com/nursing-essay-writing-service because even with access to all the info it can be hard for me to write something. And such a service helps me out a lot. And after my studies, I come back to my place, where I can rest in comfort. And it influences my studies positively.
I lived in a vehicle for some time but it was uncomfortable and cold from time to time, and in general, I wasn't feeling myself great.

Last edited:

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Ya, curious minds want to know- Our daughter rented an apartment in the barios of Houston while obtaining her doctorate. It was a poop hole of a place, but her neighbors looked out for her and she was quite comfortable with the efficiency apt.. living in an SUV with another person? If you did that, I’m curios to know if you’re still together?