Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Having lifted many vehicles I now find stock works best. Every vehicle I lifted created weaknesses somewhere in the stock driveline which lead to more mods to overcome the stresses created by changing the geometry. The odd time something broke on the trail. 1", 2"..... why bother. 3", 4" is just asking for something to break.

The Tacoma is a great vehicle stock. Lifts and bigger tires will ride rougher, burn more gas.... shortening your range, and cost a whack of money better spent on overlanding. IF you are not dragging the chassis over rocks, leave it stock.

Theres this from another thread.

"Selling 5 BFG KO2’s 285/75 16’s. 11-12/32nds of tread. One is basically new. I ran them on 02 4Runner as oversized, but tired of the decreased performance"

Last edited:

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
For most things, if you already have a TRD pro leave it alone. If not raise the front an inch or two and the back 0-1”. I have a 19 SR5 and it could use a small lift with a 32” tire.
When it comes to the stock suspension, the shocks suck big time (Not TRD), the spring rate is fair but needs to be a bit more if your going to add in a bumper and winch.

If you go more than two inch you really want new arms. Now that you have that, your lifespan of the parts just decreased. You need to learn how to check Uni Ball ball joints. Tire wise, 33’s look cool but now you start to loose torque and you should regear. Anything bigger and you should look to new drive axles in the front. I’ve seen 35’s and a 4” lift on quite a few so, yes you can. I also have seen what happens if you do that and are not easy on the throttle.

Bottom line is, what is your end result? What type of driving do you want to do? Currently I have downsized the tires on my Cruiser from 35’s back to 32’s. I off road in what “I” call moderate terrain and there is nowhere I can’t go that I want to.

Reactions: KAIONE

EBasil

Rank VI

Influencer I

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Erik
Last Name
Basil
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6LBE
What tire size do you "need" for the terrain you intend? If you need tires 2, 3, 4,5" taller than stock for the terrain, then that defines the lift you need -- and often implicates a variety of other modifications including regearing your axles. If you can get by without a large lift, you can eschew the gearing and avoid the major issues with an IFS or fully independent suspension system.

In my case, my '93 came with tires consistent with that era, about 30" diameter. I lifted my Trooper 1.5", only to enable a little more articulation for the 31.5's I run and since it's an "overlander suv" with IFS, rather than an "overlander 4x4" (like a Gladiator on 37's with an RTT), I don't need more lift --And-- I don't need to regear, do a diff-drop in the front, or upgrade to big brakes (big rubber is big rotating weight).

Depending what you plan to do, and with what level of other vehicles, your Tacoma can pretty much do it all: you just have to plan it out.

Reactions: KAIONE