Sumter, Sumter County, South Carolina, United States
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Gardner
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
I'm considering purchasing a LiveSaver Jerrycan, and I'm curious what others' thoughts are on it. I was interested in the new Dometic GO Jug and Faucet that's supposed to be coming out soon, but the more I read about the Lifesaver, I think that might be the better option. I like that it's pressurized and filters the water, which will make it great for camping and as a (home) backup water supply if we ever have interruptions or contamination due to hurricanes, etc.

Mike W

US MidWest Region Local Expert
Staff member
Investor

Expedition Master III

Iowa, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

I have one on it's way from the Overland Bound store and I want to try it out. I have needed a solution for awhile. I am hoping to be able to use my electric faucet on a scepter and have the lifesaver next to it so I can pump filtered water either into the faucet jerry or just into a container. Seems like it would work well, but keep in mind that if you want good tasting water you will need to replace the carbon filters more often than the main filter. And you have to keep the filter wet and it lasts ~3 years.

1647370489079.png

Reactions: chrisgardner73

genocache

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Boulder Creek, CA, USA
First Name
gene
Last Name
L
Member #

So how does that Lifesaver filter work? It has to draw water from the bottom to get as much water out of the can. Any holes in the vertical inner tube would stop the water draw and only bring in air at that level. Is the filter only using the bottom, say 1" for filtering?

Never mind, I just looked at the mfrs website. They do not say it, Wanderlost you are using it wrong, from the pictures it is designed to be used laying down on the filter side. HTH

I have one of the Katadyn filters since 2003.

Wanderlost

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Caledonia, Illinois
Member #

So how does that Lifesaver filter work? It has to draw water from the bottom to get as much water out of the can. Any holes in the vertical inner tube would stop the water draw and only bring in air at that level. Is the filter only using the bottom, say 1" for filtering?

Never mind, I just looked at the mfrs website. They do not say it, Wanderlost you are using it wrong, from the pictures it is designed to be used laying down on the filter side. HTH

I have one of the Katadyn filters since 2003.
When the water level gets down to around 30% it does need to be laid on its side.