OcoeeG

Rank II

Enthusiast III

SE TN
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Gee
That is the next step now that my water tank is on the way. Lets see whatcha got!

Planning on going with collapsible basins, maybe 2 sinks so I can do a rinse with bleach. The goal is to make it removable and hopefully easily installed at camp.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
we use collapsible buckets, etc for dishes and what-not. we just keep them in a bin and use them where needed...sometimes we're working off the tailgate and sometimes we have a picnic table to work on....theyre versatile

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
So what are you going to do with the bleach water when you are through?

OcoeeG

Rank II

Enthusiast III

SE TN
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Gee
So what are you going to do with the bleach water when you are through?
That is a good question. Had not thought about the potential negative impacts of that. I think bleach breaks down/volatilizes rather quickly. And think about the amount of bleach needed in a gallon or 2 for sterilization, it is not very much a capful I would say. Need to do a bit more research on the potential negative impacts of that, I doubt they are great though. I think you could throw it on the road and it would be gone quickly. But thanks for the food for thought. Bleach water is not a must for this system. I have been doing research on biodegradable soaps too, looks like Dr. Bronners keeps popping up.

heyfish

Rank III
Investor

Member I

California
Member #

I like the collapsible bucket sinks too. We have two in our kitchen setup and use one for washing, one for rinsing. The buckets are handy for carrying things around and we use it for packing/unpacking the kitchen.
I cut down a plastic cutting board to fit inside so we have a cutting board space when both sinks aren't needed.

20200715_200939.jpg

Ragman

Rank V
Investor

Explorer I

Geneva, IL, USA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gearhart
Member #

we use collapsible buckets, etc for dishes and what-not. we just keep them in a bin and use them where needed...sometimes we're working off the tailgate and sometimes we have a picnic table to work on....theyre versatile

We do the same.

Reactions: grubworm

slomatt

Rank V

Influencer I

Bay Area, CA
That is the next step now that my water tank is on the way. Lets see whatcha got!

Planning on going with collapsible basins, maybe 2 sinks so I can do a rinse with bleach. The goal is to make it removable and hopefully easily installed at camp.
Bleach can damage the environment. I recommend instead using a biodegradable soap like Campsuds, and disposing of your grey water far from natural water sources. If we have a fire we use our gray water to make sure the fire is 100% out.

For washing dishes we first scrape off as much food as possible. Then we heat a pot of water on the stove and add soap to it. Using a scrub brush dipped in the pot we clean the dishes (starting with the cleanest and ending with the dirtiest) and then rinse them over a bucket that collects the gray water. The dishes are then put on a mesh net under our camp table to air dry. With this setup no basins are required, and we use minimal water.

Reactions: OcoeeG

OcoeeG

Rank II

Enthusiast III

SE TN
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Gee
Bleach can damage the environment. I recommend instead using a biodegradable soap like Campsuds, and disposing of your grey water far from natural water sources. If we have a fire we use our gray water to make sure the fire is 100% out.

For washing dishes we first scrape off as much food as possible. Then we heat a pot of water on the stove and add soap to it. Using a scrub brush dipped in the pot we clean the dishes (starting with the cleanest and ending with the dirtiest) and then rinse them over a bucket that collects the gray water. The dishes are then put on a mesh net under our camp table to air dry. With this setup no basins are required, and we use minimal water.
I hear you on the bleach, but I wonder how bad it actually is. In the desert urinating on the ground is damaging, but lots of people still do it. I am not married to the dilute bleach water rinse. It is a throwback to my Boy Scout days.

I like your washing system. I def. plan on using a biodegradable soap, campsuds or Dr. Bronners.

Thanks for your response.

heyfish

Rank III
Investor

Member I

California
Member #

Speaking of dish scraping, check out this... Best $6 I ever spent.

slomatt

Rank V

Influencer I

Bay Area, CA
Where do you think all the bleach used in laundries around the world go? Down the drain.
It doesn't wind up on the ground at a campsite, that's what we're discussing here.

There are some interesting articles available about what happens to bleach that goes into the sewer and winds up at a wastewater treatment facility.

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
I've been using a folding bowl from the German manufacturer Ortlieb for ages. The are a real classic in the travel scene, super robust, versatile, super small rollable and available in different sizes and colors.

Duschen_Faltschüssel_BE.jpg

Wastewater, at least with conventional dishwashing or washing detergents belongs, in my opinion, neither in nature nor in bio-treatment plants, but collected (for example, in a canister) and disposed of properly. The petroleum-based surfactants contained in many detergents can enter the environment via wastewater and cause lasting damage to aquatic organisms. We often use, for example, only biodegradable detergent, but even there I would be careful at least in areas where there is wildlife, the smell can make them curious and oha, there may be a "little surprise" which can even turn into a dangerous situation.

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

I use those hard rinse tubs, they pack in my camp box and hold the coffee pot, dish soap, Pot kit, lighters they sit on top of the frying pan that is inverted (top down) over the plates and flat strainer. The rinse and wash are different colors to keep them straight.