Lessons from a guy who couldn't wait...

• HTML tutorial

theBROFESSOR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Conway, Arkansas
Member #

The thing about "waiting" is, you may never actually take the first step. It's easy to fall into "I just need this, or I just need that... before I can do this or that". I've done it SO many times. In the end, it cost you nothing more than the money you were already set to spend replacing bald tires. In return, you got a great experience, some confidence, and an awesome taste of what's to come. Better yet, now you've wet your whistle for it, and are much more likely to go out exploring again sooner, rather than later.

Kudos for jumping in, just doing it, and nice looking FJ!! Enjoy it in good health.
Thanks for the encouraging words! I truly was rewarded by jumping in head first. Got the fever and have to go back for more. I do have a long list of accessories to purchase in order of importance, but if I waited for those I would have one foot in the grave or maybe both. Ride safe.

Lakefan2015

Rank III
Investor

Enthusiast I

8641 Lamar Avenue, Overland Park, KS, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Pierret
Member #

Great story! Love the Ozarks and Arkansas! We spent some time near Beaver lake and the white river earlier this summer! Keep enjoying the outdoors and will let you know when we come back through and maybe we can hits some more trails!

Reactions: theBROFESSOR

SpikeMD

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Granite Bay, CA
First Name
Ted
Last Name
Speicher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WJ6SPK
Get out and get her dirty! Smart call to turn around before you get into trouble.

I agree that sliders are probably most important. The FJ has good approach/departure angles so bumpers are needed for awhile.

Tires are the most important for traction and durability on the trails. Unfortunately, you have to pay for good tires but sometimes find someone upgrading and can get a good used set.

Get some recovery gear, shackles, gloves and a kinetic strap. The kinetic straps (bubba rope, etc) are amazing for getting vehicles unstuck and much better than simple tow straps.

Join a local 4x4 club and meet some people. Best to go wheeling with other vehicles, but dont stop exploring on your own.

Scour Craigslist and forum sale sections for deals. Half of my rover is built from used armor, racks, winch, etc.

Welcome!

theBROFESSOR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Conway, Arkansas
Member #

Great story! Love the Ozarks and Arkansas! We spent some time near Beaver lake and the white river earlier this summer! Keep enjoying the outdoors and will let you know when we come back through and maybe we can hits some more trails!
Love the area up around Beaver Lake and Dam above Eureka. I hope its all back to normal after the bad flooding we had up there this year. The bridge was under water. We ride our motorcycles up there quite a lot. Beautiful area. The White River is amazing. I plan to do some scouting up there for some adventures this next year. I have lived in AR all of my life and there is still so much I haven't seen.

Reactions: Lakefan2015

Laughing Otter

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

13973 State Hwy 112, Sekiu, WA, USA
First Name
Ansa
Last Name
Langer
Member #

The FJ is a great and capable vehicle, no doubt. Here is my issue with it, especially for an off roading vehicle...again just me...too many blind spots. Small tiny windows....if you look at most other Toyota's, or Jeeps, Rovers...even older Bronco's and Blazers, etc. Big wide windows, you have great visibility almost 360 degrees...to me that's very important while exploring, off roading, etc.... I test drove an FJ for a weekend at an off road event and that was my only issue. At one point, I had to 4 point turn around on a tight trail and not having full visibility was a pain! But again, this may be just an issue for me. I haven't driven one but I see the same design issue with the Hummer 2 & 3's. Congrats brother on your first adventure...or should I say "misadventure" Lol, I am a firm believer that misadventures are better stories!

Reactions: theBROFESSOR

theBROFESSOR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Conway, Arkansas
Member #

The FJ is a great and capable vehicle, no doubt. Here is my issue with it, especially for an off roading vehicle...again just me...too many blind spots. Small tiny windows....if you look at most other Toyota's, or Jeeps, Rovers...even older Bronco's and Blazers, etc. Big wide windows, you have great visibility almost 360 degrees...to me that's very important while exploring, off roading, etc.... I test drove an FJ for a weekend at an off road event and that was my only issue. At one point, I had to 4 point turn around on a tight trail and not having full visibility was a pain! But again, this may be just an issue for me. I haven't driven one but I see the same design issue with the Hummer 2 & 3's. Congrats brother on your first adventure...or should I say "misadventure" Lol, I am a firm believer that misadventures are better stories!
Yes I have noticed the blind spots. I have added mirrors right off the combat this. Plus I added my wife in the passenger seat or getting out checking when I have to turn around. These blind spots didn't deter me from purchase as I know I am mostly moving forward and rarely backward. Plus being a police officer I am really used to blind spots having to look around a cage and other armor in our vehicles. I love the FJ and don't have any regrets purchasing it. I only regret the fact that they are not being made anymore and when this one gets worn out I will have to look hard to find another that is in good shape. But I've always been a fan of vintage. These have been around for years and even the older models are still on the road. Just love the fact that I am able to get out there and enjoy life in God's creation now that I have a vehicle in which to do it.

Reactions: Laughing Otter

clo_iam

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor II

Los angeles/Phoenix
First Name
Carlo
Last Name
Estella
Member #

Great story! I thought it was gonna end horrifically, but enjoyed your exploration story with that nice Fj.

CalTexMex

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Fremont, Ca
Member #

Welcome to the addiction! A lot of good advice here for ya. Keep it simple, you know, a little solid axle swap, 40" MT's and full armor and you should be alright! Honestly, just drive it and build it to be functional for what you plan to do with it. I'm a fan of sliders first and foremost, especially if you like closing your door. The rest will come as you see fit. Cheers!

Ventsan

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lumberton, NJ
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2OZA
Reminds me of when got my first car, a 2wd ford ranger. I wanted to take it on fire roads so bad, which by me are pure soft sand. Drove up to the nearest fire tower, made it up fine. On the way out, I went through a deep patch of sand, and bam, stuck. Being the genius I was at 17, I proceeded to bury it up to the axle. After a little bit, i remembered the shovel my dad made me put in the toolbox. Luckily i got it unstuck with that, and to this day my dad knows nothing of it :)