Rank III

Enthusiast III

SF Bay Area, CA
First Name
Kris
Last Name
Pruden
Member #

It seems a big part of the fun (for some anyway) is building out your overland vehicle exactly as you want it, with your own hands.

Also, the nature of overlanding means being ready to make repairs in the field.

I’m reasonably handy, but have very little experience working on automotive systems. I’m particularly intimidated by the electrical side of things (fire is bad).

This isn’t the Matrix, so I realize there’s no way to instantly acquire all these skills, but does anyone have recommendations on how to quickly acquire the base skills needed to competently work on my vehicle, especially the basics of field maintenance and repair?

Related: is there a basic “ladder” of DIY mods that one can do to safely build skills & experience? I feel like suspension and electrical may best be left to the pros, but I want to try to do as much as I can myself, as much for the fun of it as to save the $100-200 shop rate as I iterate toward my perfect build :)

Thanks!
Kris

Dave Snyder

Rank VI
Investor

Trail Blazer II

Greenfield Township, Lackawanna County, Pennsylvania, United States
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Snyder
Member #

Start with the simple stuff and build your knowledge and confidence from there. The internet can be a wealth of information if you can filter the good content from the BS. Youtube is a good place to start. Just do a search for what you want to do. If you haven't already check out the Overland Bound channel. There's a lot of good content on there. As far as vehicle maintenance goes see if you can find a repair manual for your vehicle. This should give you a pretty good idea what you will need to do some basic repairs and any special tools you might need. If you need to invest in tools my advice is buy the best you can afford. Stay away from the cheap tools. They have a tendency to break and you will be forever replacing them. Hope this helps.

Dave

Reactions: static

GreyMatter

Rank V

Advocate I

Parole, MD, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Turner
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC3SVJ
Nothing beats just doing it. Fluid changes, brakes, suspension, wheel bearings are all doable and good candidates. Find a factory service manual and read relevant sections. Watch youtube videos for the service you want to perform. Ask questions here and on reddit (e.g. r/MechanicAdvice). I love watching the South Main Auto YouTube channel just for entertainment; you'll absorb a lot of knowledge just by watching. Nothing beats diving in and turning wrenches though.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

I'm pretty confident in my fabrication abilities but in the mechanical/electrical issues of the vehicle itself I trust a licensed mechanic and find the shop rate to keep my vehicle mobile/maintained/safe a bargain. In 40 years I have never been broke down or stranded. But without the semi annual oil changes which include much more than the oil change I'd have missed several things which would have left me stranded.

Shop rates will keep you safe.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Some people are born with the gift of playing sports, others have the gift of computer languages, some have god like fabrication skills, others have mechanical skills, and then there are people like me that just understand how an electrical/mechanical beast can move on its own power carrying the weight of its masters wherever they chose to go. I was born with the gift (or curse) of wanting to know how everything works.

Why does my engine need a thermostat? Well because the engine needs to stay at a constant narrow operating temperature. Why? Because if it’s too cold the fuel doesn’t burn efficiently, but too hot and oils break down and stop lubricating correctly, metals start to fatigue, not to mention hoses start to swell. So now I know why, but what if my thermostat were to fail while I was in the middle of Death Valley? Would a tow truck come get me? Could I just keep dumping my ice in the radiator and engine in hopes of making it home safe? Could I just remove the thermostat long enough to make it back to civilization where I could get a new one? All of these options would work. Personally I would want to know why the thermostat failed in the first place. But regardless I would probably just remove it from the equation and continue on.

Real world scenario:
I was in the middle of the White Sands Desert camping for 45 days. The second night I was woken up by one of my peers saying that our main generator had gone down. After a brief chat I determined that the thermostat on the said generator had failed. We didn’t have another thermostat, and no resupply for weeks. I told my friend to remove the thermostat and wake me when he got it out.

Like I mentioned early I personally would like to know “why” or “how” the thermostat failed. Thermostats are very simple machines that are typically taken for granted. They consist of a spring, a valve, and a wax that melts and hardens at certain temperatures. Usually the wax leaks out a little bit over time and the thermostat sticks in the closed position. Sometimes it’s just rusted because some one put water in the engine instead of coolant. Once in a great while the spring just breaks.

Well my plan was to clean up the old thermostat and get it to open and close on its own. But when my friend came back, I was surprised to see what our problem was. Instead of being a faulty thermostat, we actually had a broken thermostat housing. It had broke just below the water hose spout diagonally from bolt hole to bolt hole.

My gears started turning and I decided to try and drill several holes in the break to pin it back together and use JB Weld to keep the crack from leaking. This proved to be a futile endeavor. Instead I ended up manufacturing a complete housing out of JB Weld and using files, drill bits and die grinders to machine the part. I knew this wasn’t a permanent solution to the problem, but would buy us time until I could find a better solution, or get my hands on the correct part.

6 years latwe I was reminded of this field repair when another friend came up to me asking how to fix a “coolant leak”. I handed her a thermostat housing and gasket and told her to replace it.

Suspension work isn’t scary, it’s actually one of the easiest jobs you can do yourself. 12 bolts in the rear, a few more in the front. You install the parts in the order that the instructions say to, and off you go to get new tires and an alignment.

Electickery errr electricity. Now this topic is scary to most, but also the most needed skill on the trail. First, I suggest investing in a decent digital multi-meter that can measure the voltages you are using in your overland rig. Since my rig is 12/24 DC voltage with a 110 volt ac inverter, my meter covers 1-1000 volts. Also you want your meter to be able to measure ohms and amps… although very rarely do I test amp draw with meter. Another tool for your electric trouble shooting tool box is a test light, preferably one with an incandescent bulb so you can use it both with low and high voltages and reverse polarity. Next you are going to want a good wiring schematic for your vehicle. A wiring schematic is a road map of every wire used to make your rig along with all the state parks, hotels, and other POIs along the way labeled with things like “throttle position sensor” or “Ignition Switch” . Last piece of kit, a set of wire crimpers , wire strippers, and wire cutters.

Now that you have these tools, get a couple of AA batteries and test the voltage of the battery using the multi-meter. Use the test light connected to one side of the battery and the the alligator clip on the other side. The light lights up, now test voltage again. See the drop? Good. You just Built and tested your first circuit and didn’t make a fire.
Last price of advice on electricity, find a diy project like adding a second battery, or install some simple LED interior lights, do your research and just install them. The more you become familiar with electricity the more comfortable you will be working with it. Once you have this understanding you can make your vehicle limp home even without the sensors working… and yes I’m talking about modern day fuel injected rigs…

I drive beaters as my DD rigs and Overlanding rigs. Only twice in 40 years have I called a tow truck to come get me, both times nothing short of a tow was going to get me home. One time was a broken distributor drive shaft that took out the cam shaft, the second was a seized transmission. Both was major disassembly to repair and while I could have done it on the side of the road, I really don’t recommend doing that. Even though I repaired both in my front yard out on a mixture of grass and gravel.

My point in all of this… just start diving in. With all of the vehicle specific forums, you can always get the help you need to tackle any project.

@Billiebob, thank you for helping keep people like me and my friends in business… we greatly appreciate your hard earned money. Without you, we wouldn’t be able to make money doing what we love.

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
@M Rose gives some sound logic here.

A year ago, I was in the same boat as you. I had a grand idea of what I wanted to do for my electrical in my Xterra, but no tools or experience in dealing with 12v systems.

Mike spent two days teaching me and and helping me build my initial auxiliary system.

I'm now very comfortable building auxiliary electrical systems. I completely reworked the wiring when I built my drawer system.

I pulled the drawers out last weekend to paint and sand them, and took the opportunity to simplify and cleanup my wiring.

The biggest thing you need to worry about is making sure your wire Guage is sized properly for the amount of current you want to push through it and the length of the run. You also want to make sure that it doesn't rub and move around, which can cause a short.

I'd start by figuring out what you want to do with it, and build a wiring diagram. That will help you figure out how to wire everything up. Post it here, and we'll happily give you feedback on the layout.

Pathfinder I

Canada
First Name
Craig
Last Name
PereferNotToSay
Billiebob has good advice there — trained professionals will spot stuff that a DIY-er might miss that will cause you headaches or worse — this kind of travel can be incredibly risky, and if you do have a mechanical issue in some places, it can be life threatening so being confident in the mechanical reliability of your rig is important, and the professionals will give a typical person that confidence. There are always stories of “I got my mechanic to do XYZ and the next day I broke down, from now on I’m doing it myself” — (I’ve had that experience myself and it does inform my desire to fix things myself) — but the overwhelming majority of mechanical repairs are excellent. Nobody posts on the internet when their mechanic fixes something and it works great (with the exception of BIlliebob in this thread! :D) so my point is, relying on mechanics is for the most part a very safe bet.

On the other hand, if we only rely on professionals, we will never learn and as @static said, that can be a fun part of this hobby. My suggestion is if a person wants to grow into a DIY-mechanic, they should split the difference until they get confident. Here’s what I mean:

1) Do basic stuff yourself. Start small like oil changes, installation of an accessory or two (lights are a great way to learn about electrical; these days they often even come with harnesses). But while you do this basic stuff, to @M Rose’s point, don’t just go through the instructions; do your best to understand WHY you are being instructed to do things a certain way. Good instructions tell you the “why”, but there are not many good instructions out there — that’s why I rely heavily on YouTube. Don’t just plug things in and turn wrenches — think through your project and ask “What does this part do? Why does this bolt go there? How come that bolt has a non-threaded part on it? Oh it’s not a bolt, it’s more of a pin — OK. So why does it’s torque setting seem so light in the instructions? It must need some play for the component; why is there play? Because the component in this case is the brake caliper pin and pads need to slide on these pins. Why? Because there’s hydraulics that press the pads to the disc. What for? Thats how the brakes work, by grabbing the disc and introducing friction to slow the vehicle.

(That’s just a sample of thinking through a component - I wouldn’t suggest brakes as your first turn-of-a-wrench necessarily!)

2) Regular inspections with a shop. These are usually fairly affordable (an hour or two of shop rates) and they often have deals on the inspections to get you in the door. If the inspection notices minor stuff - like you need a tire rotation or maybe they recommend a new set of shock absorbers — you can always opt to take your car home and DIY It, further growing your skills in the mechanical side while relying on the professional‘s experience to spot the stuff you don’t know you need to pay attention to. But if they catch something big - like a leaking rear main seal on your engine — that is beyond your current skill set, you can always get them to do it. But, in a visit to 1) above, spend some time understanding the job, even if you’re not doing it — what does the rear main seal do? What is involved in changing it? What are the consequences if it’s leaking? Of course, to undersand this stuff you need learning resources, which brings me to…

3) Get good manuals. The only way to know if a job is easy or hard is to know what the job entails from start to finish. The easiest way to gain this knowledge is through a good shop manual. Haynes/Chilton type manuals are good enough for basic stuff, but I personally prefer using www.alldatadiy.com; this allows you to buy service manuals for most vehicles and access them digitally. You can sometimes get factory service manuals from dealerships, and these are the absolute best option, but they have a price tag to match. Whatever resource you use, just remember — like the IKEA instructions say — read the directions on how to do a job from start to finish a few times until you are confident in the process. Often, you will run into situations like this; let’s say you are installing transfer case breathers:

Step 1: Remove exhaust clamps
Step 2: Remove exhaust pipe from engine
Step 3: Detach transfer case and lower it
Step 4: Attach breather hose to top of transfer case
Step 5: Raise transfer case and reattach
Step 6: Reinstall exhaust pipe onto flanges
Step 7: Reinstall exhaust clamps.

The above is a pretty common set of steps, and it would appear that you are 7 steps away from installing a breather hose to your transfer case. Seems easy, right? But, how do you detach and lower the transfer case? That is likely a totally different procedure that might look like this:

Step 1: Raise vehicle and support on jackstands.
Step 2: Remove exhaust system
Step 3: Detach front Drive shaft. Note these are balanced so be sure to index drive shaft and flange.
Step 4: Drain transfer case fluid
Step 5: Support transfer case with jack; beware transfer case may be heavy.
Step 6: Detach rear drive shaft.
Step 7: (whatever)
……
Step 19: (whatever)
……
Step 75: Lower vehicle from jack stands

I won’t keep going but you get the idea — the “easy” job of installing a breather might turn into a “complex” job that is beyond your comfort level very fast, so it’s best to ensure you know the whole procedure before beginning.

The advantage of this approach is that you build technical skills (wrench turning) alongside your understanding of the machine. This doesn’t guarantee you can fix your rig trailside, but it improves your chances dramatically, and there’s no feeling quite like the joy that comes from saving yourself from a tricky spot using your knowledge and skills and a bit of creativity. Some of my fondest memories of adventures are situations like this.

static

Rank III

Enthusiast III

SF Bay Area, CA
First Name
Kris
Last Name
Pruden
Member #

Billiebob has good advice there — trained professionals will spot stuff that a DIY-er might miss that will cause you headaches or worse — this kind of travel can be incredibly risky, and if you do have a mechanical issue in some places, it can be life threatening so being confident in the mechanical reliability of your rig is important, and the professionals will give a typical person that confidence.
Thanks, this is a very helpful perspective! Start small, rely on the pros whenever safety is a concern, measure twice cut once. I kinda knew this was was the “answer” but it helps to be reminded by those who’ve been doing this for a while :)

The internet is great, but since I decided to dive into overlanding, it’s a firehose of upgrades to by, projects to start, skills to learn and places to explore. I’m enthusiastic - I want to do it all - but I need to be patient :)

Kris

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

... but does anyone have recommendations on how to quickly acquire the base skills needed to competently work on my vehicle, especially the basics of field maintenance and repair?

Related: is there a basic “ladder” of DIY mods that one can do to safely build skills & experience? I feel like suspension and electrical may best be left to the pros, but I want to try to do as much as I can myself, as much for the fun of it as to save the $100-200 shop rate as I iterate toward my perfect build :)

Thanks!
Kris
Nope.
"Quickly" means "go to an automotive trade school" at about $10,000 while also investing in every tool known to man.

Not quickly means buying the Chilton's manual, or FSM (Factory Service Manual) for your vehicle, and some diagnostic tools like a Volt/Ohm meter (MultiMeter they call it now), diagnosing any issues that crop up with the manual and /or YouTube, and buying tools on an as needed basis to repair the issue of the day.

Unless you are very good friends with a good mechanic, they are not likely to want you hanging around in their work space to document thier process and goings-on.

Either way, start out with a basic, 100 piece tool set from Craftsman or something, and most day to day issues can be handled with that and YouTube

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

I agree, also, with the idea that the professionally trained and experienced mechanic is a must-have for certain things. No way am I opening up a transmission. Absolutely good to have them check out the truck now and then, as BillyBob is right, they will spot a small issue waiting to become a big issue.

My truck is a GMC 5.3 liter 8 cylinder. It has AGM/DFM and drops 4 cylinders at highway speeds. It does this through a spring loaded collapsible lifter. Certainly more fuel efficient but that means that if anything were to go wrong with that fancy getup, I'd want the dealer to replace it. I bring it to the dealer for oil changes. They do a tire rotation, a multi point inspection, and hopefully spot any issues while they are under there. And all for less than $80. Valvoline oil change cost $130 and you dont even get a tire rotation.

I'll save the self-made old changes for the 20 year old Jeep. There are times you wa t a good mechanic or even the dealer to handle things

So, that leads me to the point...have 2 vehicles if you can afford it. Keep one in tip top shape, done by mechanics, and fiddle around with the other, older one. That way you are never at the point of "need to get to work tomorrow but my truck is in pieces"

Reactions: loper and Shahn

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

Start with something that is not your daily driver, you WILL make mistakes.

Older vehicles are less complex but the basics extrapolate well to newer vehicles (modern electrical systems are the exception). Older vehicles will generally require less comprehensive tool sets and/or specialty tools to accomplish repairs.

True story: A young friend of my kids would stand and stare at a 70 model Wagoneer( 360 AMC, Turbo 400) I had as a fun vehicle. I asked why he did that , and they responded "It has round headlights". He is a good kid and his father is a good guy, neither of them had any mechanical ability , but they wanted to. I told him to have his Dad call me, which he did. We spoke and he showed interest in the project, which was really just incessant tinkering, but was a good entry into basic mechanical work (and wrapped up in a cool vehicle) that did not require $30k worth of tools. I told them I would give it to them, and whatever monetary value they put on it, donate it to the Church, I didn't want or need to know what that was and still don't.

Mechanical ability is an under rated skill,very frequently possessed by people who are looked down upon by their self appointed "betters", but it is a skill set well worthy of pursuit for many,many reasons.

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

My coworker's fiancee works at Boston Dynamics. The place making the robot dog, robot horse, and Atlas, that robot droid that plays on the jungle gym and is going to make us extinct someday. Previously owned by Google. Now not, so they say.

The guy was "just" a mechanic. I say "just", on account of the fact, when you think about it, who else is going to put these things together, or repair them, or build the machines that put them together?

She is new to IT, and needed a decent tool kit. Showed up the other day with a little mini German Wiha ratchet socket and bit set in a metal tin that her fiancee had given her to use. Nice set.

These days I kind of look down on that Disney attitude that if you can just dream it, you can do it. You have to dream it, study it, work hard at it, fail a bit, but ultimately put it all together

Reactions: static

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Those of you whom have been fallowing my Bronco build, you already know that I did 99% of the work with a simple set of craftsman hand tools. The rest of the special tools I either had from when I was a professional, or I picked up along the way of the build. The only specialty tool I don’t own and won’t own is a scan tool for the Ford EVC-IV system. I can’t justify $2000.00 for a scan tool that I will only use a hand full of times. Sure it makes troubleshooting easier, but I can run self diagnostic tests with a jumper wire and use my multimeter to test components that the codes lead to. If I can’t, then into the shop the Bronco goes to get its diagnostic check, then back home to my driveway to get fixed.

Speaking of driveway, the whole restoration of my Bronco was done in my driveway minus the remove and replacement of the ZF5 transmission due to time, not ability… I should have done it myself and saved myself the $800.00. My point… you don’t need a fancy garage or fancy tools… These new rigs are so easy to work on with a blue tooth OBDII code reader and a smart phone/tablet.

An internal combustion engine needs air, fuel, and spark to run. All of the electrical sensor and duedads monitor the parameters of the three essentials and the computer just inputs this data into its matrix to keep the engine running efficiently. Certain sensors don’t keep the engine from running, while others will not allow the engine to run all together… knowing what each sensor does, how it talks to the computer, and what happens if a signal isn’t generated correctly is about all that is needed as far as extra knowledge to work on these newer engines.

I went to an automotive trade school for 2 semesters and quit because when I started school I thought I didn’t know enough, when in all actuality I knew more than the professors (I even taught most of the A/C and heating class along with Fuel and Emissions. And these two areas were the areas I wanted to learn the most.

Now maybe a lot of my knowledge comes from literally growing up in an automotive repair and restore shop so I just naturally picked up on this stuff, but I actually attribute my abilities to a natural born talent mixed with lots of reading. I used to pick up shop manuals and read from cover to cover (and I still do). Getting a Chilton’s or FSM for your vehicle is a great idea, and I strongly suggest doing so… I also strongly suggest joining a vehicle specific forum, that way when you do get to a point where you don’t know what you’re doing, you will be able to ask for help from people who have been there before.

Last piece of advice, find a retired mechanic to help you do all the small service related stuff… Usually they will be very eager to lend a hand and teach what you need to learn in order to keep your vehicle running at its peak. I offer my services for cheap to those that can’t afford a full time mechanic, and free to those that are wanting to learn to do stuff on their own. The difference between the two, if I’m teaching, I don’t pick up a tool unless it’s easier with two people if I’m charging I’m physically working on the vehicle.

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

... I offer my services for cheap to those that can’t afford a full time mechanic, and free to those that are wanting to learn to do stuff on their own. The difference between the two, if I’m teaching, I don’t pick up a tool...
Uh, did you say you were moving to the Massachusetts area? I'm pretty handy around my truck but theres a boatload more I'd like to know. See you when you get here

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Uh, did you say you were moving to the Massachusetts area? I'm pretty handy around my truck but theres a boatload more I'd like to know. See you when you get here
Last time I saw the east coast was February 2013 when I looked in my rear view mirror, and I have no desire to go back and live… however, there are a few places I would like to visit in Mass.

cug

Rank II

Enthusiast III

San Jose, CA, USA
First Name
Guido
Last Name
GNE
Nothing beats just doing it. Fluid changes, brakes, suspension, wheel bearings are all doable and good candidates.
Just be careful regarding local jurisdiction if you touch the brakes. There are places in the world where this is not advisable.

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Just be careful regarding local jurisdiction if you touch the brakes. There are places in the world where this is not advisable.
???
Are you saying there are places in the world where replacing the brakes is outside the vehicle owner's jurrisdiction?

cug

Rank II

Enthusiast III

San Jose, CA, USA
First Name
Guido
Last Name
GNE
I believe so. You may, but if you are in accident later and have meddled with your brakes, it could turn out not nice.

genocache

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Boulder Creek, CA, USA
First Name
gene
Last Name
L
Member #

So turn back the Wayback Machine to simpler times Sherman, Jan 1974. I bought my first car at age 22, grew up in a house with no car, now my life was finally starting.

I drove my 1973 Land Rover 30 miles home from the dealer and got up the next morning only to find a huge oil puddle under it. I called the dealer, they said drive it back and we will fix it. I knew enough to know that was a bad idea. I looked underneath and saw the cannister oil filter was loose. I walked the half mile to the local Grand Auto and bought some oil and a socket set with a lifetime guarantee. Still have the socket set been thru a couple of rachets and socket, but that's besides the point. I went home tightened the filter housing and added oil.
Next day I called the dealership ordered a factory repair manual, $50, and never looked back.
I've learned a heap by doing things myself, only the fan going through a radiator has caused me a ride on a yellow taxi to the nearest repair shop where I pulled the rad one evening, he fixed it the next day and I put it back in same day and drove the 150 miles home.

In my blog I go through my frame off resto-mod of my 1960 Land Rover. Welcome to Genocache!

I took a stock Land Rover galvanized all the steel bits I could and added 4 wheel disc brakes, power steering, oil cooler, 200TDI engine, LED head, running and lightbar, cots, rear door table, rear air locker, HD rear axles, Roamerdrive overdrive, dual fuel tanks etc........

Moral of the story, older vehicles are easier to work on, humans can learn to do a lot, if you know the why and how you enhance your chances of survival when you are "out there".

Before and after

DSC00588.JPGIMG_0353.JPG

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
@genocache Moral of the story, older vehicles are easier to work on, humans can learn to do a lot, if you know the why and how you enhance your chances of survival when you are "out there".
My philosophy has always been:

If man made it, I can fix it.

to this day I haven’t found anything I can’t fix if I put my head to it and learn the HOWS and WHYS of a part/system.