Last Minute Trip From Fairplay, CO to....

• HTML tutorial

Brandon GBO

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Brandon
Last Name
Mouton
Good Morning,

I'm headed up to the Fairplay, CO area early tomorrow morning to do some fly fishing, and realized my weekend is wide open. With the free time, I'm going to throw my cooler and camp kitchen bins in the back of the Colorado ZR2 and run some trails and camp along the way.

I've looked at a few spots, including the Miner's loop iteniary. Thinking I'd like to run a trail coming out of the FairPlay area on Friday afternoon, camp somewhere in that area and then head north or west, planning to run trails on Saturday and camping overnight before returning back to Denver on Sunday.

My rig is a stock 2021 Colorado ZR2 with additional camping gear and setup. I don't have a winch yet, so not looking for really difficult trails that require that level of recovery.

Any ideas on trails to run and places to camp each evening?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

TheBison

Rank V

Trail Blazer III

Hartsel, CO
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Foltz
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AA0BF / WRMI426
Service Branch
U.S. Army
Check to see if Mosquito Pass is open (one website says it's open but another says it was still blocked by snow as of about 2 weeks ago). Otherwise, you can do the Brown's Pass and Breakneck Pass loop, or head up into the Mount Bross area in the Bristlecone Pine scenic area, or do Weston Pass over into the Arkansas River Valley, or do the Fourmile Recreation Area between Trout Creek Pass and Buena Vista, or... You get the point - lots of possibilities from Fairplay.

Reactions: cgranier

chrismutchler

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Colorado Springs, CO
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Mutchler
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KF0CKX
Looking a route plan for Mosquito Pass, is there a fair amount of dispersed camping sites along the trail?

TheBison

Rank V

Trail Blazer III

Hartsel, CO
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Foltz
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AA0BF / WRMI426
Service Branch
U.S. Army
Looking a route plan for Mosquito Pass, is there a fair amount of dispersed camping sites along the trail?
It's been a while but I don't believe so. A lot of the area is covered in patented mining claims and other private property.