First Name
Black
Last Name
Tan
Member #

Service Branch
Boys brigade
We were discusing my passion for landys and were it had come from ,
Many years ago we were working up in the highlands of scotland on a pipe line to my joy the company balfour beaty had a fleet of landys all shapes and sizes although i was not a driver at that point our location allowed me to have ago . The nearest town was an hours drive the further the pipe line got layed the further the town became , the track was no more than an off roaders dream. With peat bogs either side or heather moreland , week. After week past then it began the balfour beaty time trail !! The town and back Competion grew and bets were laid the route was never set in stone Untill the fate full day , freddy A man i can only decribe way ward . Set off for provisions usually tabbaco products An hour passed the new record passed two hours Passed now remeber this was in the days of no mobile phones And the radios we had only coverd short distance three hours and no sighn of freddy. A search party was musterd i being the youngest of the crew was sent as second man off we went south , the track was Rough and rocky in places so it took my pilot a while to navigate . we came to a bend then in the distance saw a figuer out in the bog waving with both arms as we got neareer it be came clear he was standin on the roof of the long wheel base landy pick up . He had tried to cut across the peat bog as a short cut then become stuck , then it started to go down , the bog had swallowed the landy Up to the roof And as far as i know is still in the bog ,

Chadlyb

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bend, OR, USA
Member #

We were discusing my passion for landys and were it had come from ,
Many years ago we were working up in the highlands of scotland on a pipe line to my joy the company balfour beaty had a fleet of landys all shapes and sizes although i was not a driver at that point our location allowed me to have ago . The nearest town was an hours drive the further the pipe line got layed the further the town became , the track was no more than an off roaders dream. With peat bogs either side or heather moreland , week. After week past then it began the balfour beaty time trail !! The town and back Competion grew and bets were laid the route was never set in stone Untill the fate full day , freddy A man i can only decribe way ward . Set off for provisions usually tabbaco products An hour passed the new record passed two hours Passed now remeber this was in the days of no mobile phones And the radios we had only coverd short distance three hours and no sighn of freddy. A search party was musterd i being the youngest of the crew was sent as second man off we went south , the track was Rough and rocky in places so it took my pilot a while to navigate . we came to a bend then in the distance saw a figuer out in the bog waving with both arms as we got neareer it be came clear he was standin on the roof of the long wheel base landy pick up . He had tried to cut across the peat bog as a short cut then become stuck , then it started to go down , the bog had swallowed the landy Up to the roof And as far as i know is still in the bog ,
Great story..thank you

blackntan

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Uk. 53.4084 N 2 .9916W.
First Name
Black
Last Name
Tan
Member #

Service Branch
Boys brigade
I have not been up there since it happened. 1982 Got me thinking putting that on here , the man who was in charge lives not far away iam going to call him we keep in touch due to we were in the same game he retired a couple of years back , now my memory makes me think i know were the site is but iam going to ask him his recolection of the event , and head up there And see !

Reactions: Chadlyb