Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
Hi all - the purpose of this section is to discuss local land use issues we, as a community, should be aware of. To make the information easier to access, please adhere to the guidelines below.
  • All posts must include the state and trail/area name in the title to make it easy to scan the threads. For example, "[CA] Oceano Dunes risk of closure" or "[CA] Work party to fix the water crossing on the Deer Valley Trail".
  • No political discussions or chit chat, just facts on what is happening.

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Hi all - the purpose of this section is to discuss local land use issues we, as a community, should be aware of. To make the information easier to access, please adhere to the guidelines below.
  • All posts must include the state and trail/area name in the title to make it easy to scan the threads. For example, "[CA] Oceano Dunes risk of closure" or "[CA] Work party to fix the water crossing on the Deer Valley Trail".
  • No political discussions or chit chat, just facts on what is happening.
Thanks to @slomatt for helping shape the guidelines, and to many others who have brought up the need for this sub-forum over time. Very cool to see this happening!

As mentioned in one of the other threads:

As members of OB I believe it is important to not only be involved in responsible trail activities and organizations but to lead by example for all the new members coming in. Membership has more than doubled in just the last eight-nine months.​

Overland Bound can be a positive force and instrumental voice; it's up to us, as members, to make this happen in good, positive, ways.

theBROFESSOR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Conway, Arkansas
Member #

This is an awesome tool to have and a forum that I will visit regularly. One of the best tools that we have at our disposal is the Interactive Map that we all can check out to see what trails are open and which ones are closed. This way we only travel on the ones which are open so that we don't risk receiving fines and having more trails closed.

https://www.fs.fed.us/ivm/

I hope several others take the next step and contact the local forestry commission and work hand in hand with them on trying to keep the trails open.

Del Albright

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Mokelumne Hill, CA
Member #

This is an awesome tool to have and a forum that I will visit regularly. One of the best tools that we have at our disposal is the Interactive Map that we all can check out to see what trails are open and which ones are closed. This way we only travel on the ones which are open so that we don't risk receiving fines and having more trails closed.

https://www.fs.fed.us/ivm/

I hope several others take the next step and contact the local forestry commission and work hand in hand with them on trying to keep the trails open.
Remember too, that all BLM and USFS lands have published Motor Vehicle Use Maps (MVUM) available to the public at most of their offices (and online too I believe). Del

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
I am new here but been involved in land use and keeping trails open for 35 years. I'd be happy to help in anyway I can as my full time role as an Ambassador for BlueRibbon Coalition/Sharetrails.Org.
Del
Hey Del, we're really glad to have someone with your experience on board. Overland Bound is a relatively new community but is growing fast. We have the opportunity to make a positive impact, and it will be a growing focus moving forward. We're just three people at HQ, so any help is always appreciated.

M

uss

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Odessa TX
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Ockert
Member #

It is nice to see the group here endorse and be pro-active in land use.
Many people say that it is not their problem, and they just want to go play on the trails, desert or forest.

It takes all of us doing the right thing to maintain that access.
The few people that are doing land use and access around the country, are severely over worked, and underpaid.
Just ask Del.

I am a volunteer on the board at Sharetrails/BRC. I cover all my own travel to represent the organization.

If you want info on how to be more involved, please feel free to reach out to Del or myself.

Thanks

Todd