Lake Destinations in WA

• HTML tutorial

jthurr

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Looking for a possible lake destination trip for late summer. I just bought a kayak and I'd love to head up somewhere remote and spend the day fishing. I live north of Seattle, so W. Side Preferred.

I'm running an '89 PU with 33's, lift, lockers, and winch. Have a few years OR experience.

Any good spots?

SaltyYogurtSnek

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Bellingham, Whatcom County, Washington, United States
First Name
Logan
Last Name
Saltsman
Member #

Looking for a possible lake destination trip for late summer. I just bought a kayak and I'd love to head up somewhere remote and spend the day fishing. I live north of Seattle, so W. Side Preferred.

I'm running an '89 PU with 33's, lift, lockers, and winch. Have a few years OR experience.

Any good spots?
This is not super remote however I have seen people fishing these lakes (not sure if anyone ever catches anything).

GPX viewer

Attachments

oldmopars

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Selah Wa
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Solomon
Member #

While Washington has a few less lake than Minnesota, there are still so many that it would be hard to give you any advice without knowing a region, how remote, distance to drive, etc.
There are a few lakes I have tried to get to and spent 3 years never getting there as they are so hard to find. Other lakes are routable on a Moped.

AlVeitas

Rank 0

Contributor I

Wenatchee
First Name
Algirdas
Last Name
Veitas
Member #

I will happily piggy back on this request! I'm in the central Washington area (near Ellensburg) but I definitely don't mind a drive. I'm pretty new to the whole overlanding scene as I've only had a capable vehicle for about 4 days now. So I would be interested in hearing about places to go within a 100-150 mile radius of Ellensburg that would be accessible to someone without a whole lot of experience off-roading but who is looking for a challenge.

Reactions: SaltyYogurtSnek

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I will happily piggy back on this request! I'm in the central Washington area (near Ellensburg) but I definitely don't mind a drive. I'm pretty new to the whole overlanding scene as I've only had a capable vehicle for about 4 days now. So I would be interested in hearing about places to go within a 100-150 mile radius of Ellensburg that would be accessible to someone without a whole lot of experience off-roading but who is looking for a challenge.
Welcome Algirdas,
I am the Northwest Director. @PNW EXPLR is your closest member representative.
Check out Bumping Lake and Granite Lake... both are very close to you. In the Northwest Meetups you can find past trips through out the Northwest to fit all your Overlanding needs.

oldmopars

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Selah Wa
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Solomon
Member #

As for lakes near you, it depends on how big and how hard t get to you want. Cle Elum Lake, Kachess Lake, Keechelus lake, Lost Lake and Mirror Lake are all close and listed from easy to more remote. Ceder Notch is small and even more remote.
Bumping lake and Rimrock lake are a little farther, but very nice lakes.
Just open up Google maps and look around. There are literally hundreds of lakes from small to large, many under 2 hours from you.

Reactions: PNW EXPLR