Rank III

Advocate I

Ponder, Texas, United States
First Name
Jazmine
Last Name
King
Member #

So I got this engine skid plate and I feel like the welds are real bad. It’s thick and sturdy, but that’s vs a small human frame not the weight of my front end. also, these welds face out from underneath; which brings the second issue which is Aesthetics… it looks unprofessional. Bottom line keep or send it back?

Attachments

Reactions: offkamber
D

Deleted member 14476

So I got this engine skid plate and I feel like the welds are real bad. It’s thick and sturdy, but that’s vs a small human frame not the weight of my front end. also, these welds face out from underneath; which brings the second issue which is Aesthetics… it looks unprofessional. Bottom line keep or send it back?
Is this locally made or did you buy it from a company that produces these?

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

That is ugly, it is a skid plate however. A year from now it will be beat up. I would call the manufacturer about it. I am most concerned about the QC, if they let that pass what else would they pass? Aluminum is a bitch to weld but that is crappy.

Reactions: GreenKoala

GreenKoala

Rank III

Advocate I

First Name
Jazmine
Last Name
King
Member #

I bought it online from a major name that has this skid plate listed on their website. Thought since it was a product they offered, they have it dialed in.

GreenKoala

Rank III

Advocate I

First Name
Jazmine
Last Name
King
Member #

That is ugly, it is a skid plate however. A year from now it will be beat up. I would call the manufacturer about it. I am most concerned about the QC, if they let that pass what else would they pass? Aluminum is a bitch to weld but that is crappy.

I know it takes a lot of heat to weld. and true it will get get banged around, that is the point.

D

Deleted member 14476

I bought it online from a major name that has this skid plate listed on their website. Thought since it was a product they offered, they have it dialed in.
Return it. If it was locally made I’d be more forgiving but if that’s a name brand I wouldn’t be satisfied with that at all. Looks unprofessional. I’m also worried about QC on that, and wonder if it’s supposed to be like that or if the welder was half asleep when slapping it together.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: GreenKoala

GreenKoala

Rank III

Advocate I

First Name
Jazmine
Last Name
King
Member #

Thanks for the advice. I’ll give them a call and get it replaced. No shame in small errors, just going to get it done right … after all it is for my daily.

offkamber

Rank III

Advocate I

Upland, CA, USA
First Name
oleg
Last Name
flaksman
Member #

Service Branch
Active Mountain SAR
I’d keep it for 2 reasons:

Right now everyone is backlogged so a replacement will probably take forever to come.

It’s aluminum. If you hit something hard enough to break those welds with aluminum; you’d break exceptional welds just as easy. Steel would be a different story.

DRAX

Rank V

Advocate I

Monticello, IL
First Name
Hogan
Last Name
Whittall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W9DRX
In the second pic is that...a cracked weld? Looks like a crack right down the center.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Don’t send it back; let the company know that you’ll be doing a full review of their product and of their customer service. ( blackmail? Maybe, but so what if it causes the company to do the right thing) it shouldn’t be on you to send it back. They need to send you a new one without you lifting a finger, other than to type a full review. I’ve done this on a couple of occasions. I have an RTT up in my barn, it leaked, it had pinholes, and stressed seams. The company sent a new one. All I have to do is figure out a way to dispose of the faulty one.. name names dude. All the high dollars we all spend on this niche market, we deserve high end products.

Glacierdog

Rank V

Off-Road Ranger I

Sisters, Deschutes County, Oregon, United States
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Nygren
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK7KJK
It seems like every one of these aftermarket overland accessory companies are trying to hire people, so quality seems to be a casualty of underskilled bodies on the payroll in an attempt to keep up with orders. I would agree poor quality is unacceptable and the company that sold you the product should stand behind the quality and make it right by you.

zgfiredude

Rank VI

Steward I

Silt, CO, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Nichols
Member #

Service Branch
Firefighter
Likely they will tell you to keep that one and then perhaps send you another.....the shipping cost is prohibitive unless they want to use that as an example of what NOT to send out. The penetration of those welds looks suspect. If they let you keep it, I'd take it to a local welder with aluminum experience and have the back side welded. Then sell it or keep it as a spare. It IS a skid plate after all, not many people will ever see it once installed.