Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
I was just offered a job in Denver, Co. My only problem is the fact that my wife will not be able to join me for another year. Sure the job is much better than what I currently have and it is what I have been applying for for the past 15 months. yes, it took that long to finally be offered the position. No friends or family to live with while up there for the year until we can move out of our place in Phoenix. Can't really afford to live in a house at both locations, but if I turn down this job I may never get this offer again.
I could Overland it and just live in a tent and take showers at work everyday. Lol Just looking for some guidance.

Daniel Etter

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Fishers, IN
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Etter
Member #

I have always lived by the concept of "do what makes you happy" recently. If you hold back on your aspirations, you might never achieve full satisfaction with your life. I had the same option a few years ago and didn't take the chance and I regret not going. Talk with the company and see if they can help find a place for you! I've had coworkers offer a spare room to me when I was getting my housing situated in new areas. Also, Colorado is an insanely beautiful state that is within reasonable distance of the west coast, Canada, and Arizona [emoji12]

Joey D

Rank IV
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Holladay, UT
Member #

I recently moved from Michigan to Utah for a job, it was tough and 6 months later it's still tough. The area is vastly different from the one I left and I'm having a hard time getting used to it, but it's more so because I'm not sure if I really love the job or not. Plus Utah, despite all it's beauty, is weird. Just be sure and research the Denver area out and make sure you'll like the fit, I'm not sure how different it is than Phoenix.

I'd take it though, especially if you feel like you'll never get another chance, you'll regret the hell out of it. Also since your wife won't be able to join you right away, I'd suggest looking for a small studio apartment to rent. Then go to a Goodwill type and get any furniture you need, estate sales also work really well since you really won't need a ton. If you don't want to spend a bunch of money on a bed (which I understand), I'd get a good air mattress since that can always be used down the road when you have company come and see you.

If a studio is still out of reach, check around the college, there's always people looking for roommates. It's not ideal but it'll be cheap and it's only a year.

Best of luck on whatever you decide and hopefully if you do take it you can find a way to get your wife to join you sooner vs. later.

Reactions: Graeman

SeguineJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Dickson City, PA
Member #

I had the same plan if I got offered a job I was trying for in the Dakotas. "Do what ya gotta do" is what comes to mind. The one guy is right, do what makes you happy man. Me personally? If i been trying this long for it Id be overlanding it for a bit and looking into short term rental places. Some places do a month to month for corporate people who will be in areas long term for projects. Also you could always break your lease in Phoenix if its a rental. If it is a rental some people will let you move out early if you find the replacement. Talk to your landlord if that applies to ya! Best of luck man!

Side note - Your wife not joining you is a great back up plan. Allows you to get a chance to feel everything out. You never know, it may not turn out to be what you thought and you end up hating the choice 100%. But, you won't know unless you go!

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Catalina Avenue, Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
Right now my plan is to take the job. I am looking at the ads for roommates, spare rooms, and even rv parks. If I can get a good deal on a travel trailer I would like to go that route. They are furnished and I will have a place to call my own. Just have to pass the physical and background check and I will be approved for the position.
Thank you everybody

Reactions: SeguineJ and Joey D

chuckoverland

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Spokane, WA
Member #

Get a gym membership for showers if you are roughing it for a while. Had to do that back when i moved to portland and lived in the chevy high topper van

Denver6161

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Denver
Member #

While the housing market is pretty crazy right now in the area there are some options that you still might be able to find that may be more cost effective. Especially if it is just you for the first few months. Where will you be working in the Denver area (approximately)? I'm sure there are plenty of people on this forum that recommend housing or neighborhood options. I'm a transplant but I've always thought Denver is a great place to land...especially if it includes a job that you've been working towards for some time. Just my .02!

And congrats on the offer! No matter what your decision.

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

Back in the '80s, Deb and I rented a house in Virginia. She was going to college, and I was working for a large international company at a local facility. One day, a corporate "cleaner" came around, and decided that our engineering department was redundant, and I was offered the choice of moving to suburban Cleveland or flipping burgers at the local McDonalds.

I moved, renting a one room furnished cottage, while Deb stayed in our rented house and finished school. This lasted a bit more than a year. While finances were tight, it worked out okay in the long run. Catching up every once in a while was awesome, too!! ;)

Good luck in whatever you do!

Reactions: Graeman

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Catalina Avenue, Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
While the housing market is pretty crazy right now in the area there are some options that you still might be able to find that may be more cost effective. Especially if it is just you for the first few months. Where will you be working in the Denver area (approximately)? I'm sure there are plenty of people on this forum that recommend housing or neighborhood options. I'm a transplant but I've always thought Denver is a great place to land...especially if it includes a job that you've been working towards for some time. Just my .02!

And congrats on the offer! No matter what your decision.
I will be working downtown at the VA Hospital. We just renewed our lease here in Phx, so it will be a year before my wife moves up. By then we will know if this is the place that we want to retire at or not.