First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Hello Overlander and friends of DIY,

I have been looking some time for a magnetic holder for my two microphones. In Germany I have found nothing ready to use. In Australia or North America something like this seems to be almost standard. Well, to import such a comparatively cheap product itself and again the thing with the currently extremely long delivery times and then still the customs treatment and so on... I have rejected the idea again.

Then last week it came back to me. So I just thought and researched and then ordered a few magnets with counterbore and similar counterparts. The first magnets I got were not strong enough (0.9kg or about 1.98lbs tested on a 1cm or about 0.39 inch steel plate). So I ordered new ones with a value of 3.5kg/ 7.7lbs.

Simply unscrewed the small retaining lug on the mike and screwed on the magnet. Then attached a small nickel plate as counterpart with a counterbore in the cockpit. After that worked well on the HAM radio, I have also converted the CB radio today. That mike I simply attch to a place made of steel, so the magnet stays thre anyway without attaching a separate counterplate.

I am very satisfied with it. So the mike is even more distraction-free to pick up and drop. Also in offroad conditions its even easier in comparions to the usual clip holder. The test on rough roads is still pending, but it makes a good impression. Negative sideeffects of the magnet on, for example, the send-receive operation or other I could not determine so gar. I'll watch closely. But as there are also ready to use magnetic holders, I think insofar that is safe.

Since the magnets were only available in larger quantities, I still have a few. So if someone here from the members would like to have one, I can bring them to a meeting.

Will add some photos later.

Cheers, Björn

Last edited:

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Let's see how it proves itself in practice. I've already driven a few somewhat bumpy roads, all good. Let's test whether the micro also remains in place on corrugated roads.