Templeton, Ca
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Marlett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6ORV
I use Staun, as at the time of purchase they were the only reputable units of that style. I really like them. Very consistent and faster than my buddy who uses the ARB tool to deflate one tire at a time. The theory of operation isn't rocket science, so for the JT it would come down to workmanship and quality of materials. If I was in your position and found some JT's for cheap I would give them a go. I just happened to get my Staun's of off CL for $40 from a guy that got out of off roading, and he had barely used them.

Reactions: Jdsint

Jdsint

Rank V

Creator III

90 New Jersey Highway 94, Vernon, New Jersey 07462, United States
First Name
Joe
Last Name
S
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2ZBE
I use Staun, as at the time of purchase they were the only reputable units of that style. I really like them. Very consistent and faster than my buddy who uses the ARB tool to deflate one tire at a time. The theory of operation isn't rocket science, so for the JT it would come down to workmanship and quality of materials. If I was in your position and found some JT's for cheap I would give them a go. I just happened to get my Staun's of off CL for $40 from a guy that got out of off roading, and he had barely used them.
Thanks for the input, 40 is a great deal, you did good with that.

MegaBug

Rank VII
Launch Member

Influencer II

Colwood, BC, Canada
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Lester
Member #

I've come full circle on the whole tire deflation thing and have concluded that, as with so many things, simple is best.
When I was looking to upgrade from a stick I checked out all the options. Many of the more complicated/pricier models (i.e. ARB) required repeated removal of the valve cores. I didn't like the possible wear and dirt intrusion of this method (did I mention the high cost? :-)
Initially, I really liked the Staun idea, but again the high cost (I need 6 including my trailer) seemed unnecessary. I ended up buying some Chinese knockoffs and after redrilling the ports and calibrating them carefully I found they actually worked very well. The problem with this system though is that they are preset to a fixed pressure. I found that with varied trail conditions and tire temperatures they were rarely right for the conditions and I'd end up having to adjust anyway.
What I've ended up with are only slightly more complicated and expensive than my original stick. I call them my ”brass holes” :-)
They are Godeson tire deflators (there are other brands)and are only about 20 bucks for 4 ón Amazon. They are just a brass fitting with a big hole through the middle and a little tab to depress the valve stem. They let the air out VERY quickly. I simply walk around the vehicle attaching the 6 deflators (about 1 minute) and then walk around again to unscrew just enough to stop deflating. I then screw in one at a time, attach my pressure gauge and adjust to my final desired pressure. Easy peasy, infinitely adjustable, very fast .... and cheap.
This has become my absolute favorite tire deflation method.

Attachments

North40overland

Rank VII

Influencer I

Sugar Hill, GA, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Nelson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS - WRME413
I hate to admit this but I bought the Staun knockoff's on amazon for 30 bucks and they work great. I have used them countless times over the past year and have had 0 issues. They took a bit of trial and error to get dialed in but now they just work.

Reactions: Jdsint