Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Center, TX, USA
First Name
Jonathan
Last Name
Newton
Member #

Welcome to the build thread of my Tundra, known on IG as Jonnys_Tundra!

I, at the start of this journey, was driving a 2014 GMC Sierra 1500, which was loaded but slowly becoming a nuisance and costing me money in repairs. Yea, typical GM… Before the GMC, I owned a 2013 Toyota Tacoma DCLB 4X4 for 6 years which I loved and greatly regretted ever trading it in on the GMC.

I knew deep down I wanted another Toyota as I enjoyed modding them, off-roading them, the capability and the look of them. I started out with a 2002 2wd Tacoma, then upgraded to a 2001 Double Cab PreRunner Tacoma and finally to my 2013. I loved them all, however, the biggest problem with my Tacomas was room! With a kiddo in a car seat and me being 6'1" there just wasn't much room to be had. I looked at the newer 3rd gen Tacoma's, but due to reports of transmission woes and no real gain in room I looked elsewhere. Why not a 4runner, I always wanted a SUV, but was surprised that there was not any noticeable extra room compared to the Tacoma. I loved FJs but they were small as well.... That left me with the Tundra, a big truck, not idea for trails, not as good looking as the Tacoma IMO.

Maybe I'll just look and down the rabbit hole I went. After searching and reading and searching some more I decided I'd give it a shot, I mean the GMC had to go so there was no other choice!

I began looking, searching Craigslist, Auto Trader, etc. in search of a pristine Quicksand Tundra. It had to be a CrewMax. It had to be a TRD, I regretted not getting the TRD package on my Tacoma because of the coveted rear locker. Wait! the Tundra TRD doesn't have a locker! I soon discovered in my research. Does it really matter what package I go with then? I know how this goes, everything must be upgraded! LOL

Searching and searching revealed very few Quicksand Tundra's, the color I really wanted, at the time. Then one day while searching I found a truck with very low miles, nearby, but it was white.... My Tacoma had been a white truck, with black wheels, fender flares, softopper etc. The typical Tacoma....... This Tundra had the TSS package with black wheels and accents, a match you could say. I might could make it work, but I really want Quicksand, but the mileage is so low. I decided to go look at it.

Spoiler alert, as if the build thread wasn't enough! I picked the truck up! In May of 2020 I found this truck with 14,380 miles on it! What a deal! A quick trip and trade in later and I was the proud owner of a Tundra. Let the modifications commence!!! The truck I found was a 2017 Super White Tundra CrewMax TSS, plain jane Grandpa edition! LOL! Why a 2017?? Well that's the year, or 2016, I was looking for. Best ratings, no major issues, but most importantly no sensors on the front or back. But Why?? Again you ask! The safety, the tech, its so nice but it just gets in the way of the bumpers, winch and mods I knew were in store for this truck!

Modifications
Suspension:
Front:
FOX 2.5 DSC from Accutune. Upgraded from Icon 2.5 coilovers with Boss Offroad shims.
SPC UCAs
LCS Series Fab cab mount relocate
Upgraded from SDHQ BMC.
Rear:
Custom Alcan leaf pack to trucks weight and purpose. Upgraded from;
Icon Progressive AAL later upgraded to Icon RXT leaf pack Stage 3.
FOX 2.5 DSC from Accutune. Upgraded from Bilstein 5160 shocks.

Wheels and Tires:
Method Racing MR312 17x8.5 0 offset
Toyo Open Country RT Trail 37x12.50x17.
Upgraded from Toyo Open Country RT 35x12.50x17.
Exterior:
Bedlined Bushwacker pocket style fender flares
TRD Pro white grill
Form Lighting LED headlights upgraded from TRD Pro Halogen headlights
ARK splash guards
CaliRaised LED trail edition rock sliders
RCI Offroad full skids with diff skid
JoMax diff breather relocate and ABS shields
SOB Fabrication High Clearance Front Hoop Bumper. Upgraded from C4 Fabrication Overland front bumper
Badlands 12k winch with Factor55 fairlead and Flatlink E. Upgraded from Smittybilt 10k winch
Baja Design SAE fogs
Baja Design amber 30" S8 in bumper
Baja Design Squadron Sports on CaliRaised Led ditch light brackets
Baja Design LP9 Pros
Midland MXT275 radio
SOB Fabrication high clearance dual swingout Rear bumper. Upgraded from C4 Fabrication Overland rear bumper
Baja Design S2 reverse lights
Gear America Brand Yellow shackles
Baja Design and KC Cyclone rock light kit
ARB twin air compressor on @Bannock452 under hood mount
AT Overland Atlas. Upgraded from Xtrusion Overland Softopper height bed rack from RCI 12" HD Aluminum bed rack from Relentless Fab Low Pro Bed Bars. RTT 23Zero Weekender 62 roof top tent upgraded to CVT Mt Hood.
Darche Eclipse 270 awning. Upgraded from TuffStuff Compact 270 awning
Custom built cabinetry/ drawers. Upgraded from Decked Drawers
SnailArmor Tailgate panel. Upgraded from Mountain Hatch tailgate table
Powertanks mount for 11lb propane tank
Onboard 20 gallon water tank. Upgraded from WaterPort Weekender upgraded from WaterPort Day Tank.
Grove jack bracket and Badlands offroad jack on swingout
Backwoods Adventure Mods Jerrys can holder
Matching spare wheel/tire combo
Set of 4 Maxtrax
Dobinson Snorkel with Snorkel Upgrade Pre-Cleaner

Interior:
CaliRaised LED led interior light kit
Weathertech floor liners
Coverking seat covers
Rago Fab dash plate
Leather wrapped 4runner steering wheel
Custom painted dash trim
AJT Design blackout kit
Center console wireless charger
Desert Does It seat panels
Custom built 40% rear seat delete for Dometic 45qt fridge
SDHQ mount with SwitchPros
Added remote start and remote window controls
Upgraded to Int wipers and Auto headlights as well as removed the DRL module
Installed a nanny delete (disables traction control upon start up)

How it currently sits:

Colorado 2024 Tundra L (102).jpg

JNewton99

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Center, TX, USA
First Name
Jonathan
Last Name
Newton
Member #

Day 1 - I never cared for the Tundras. IMO the nose (hood) was to stubby in comparison to the truck. The way this thing looked, plus all the chrome, was atrocious but I had a vision!

0 (1).jpg

I quickly added TRD Pro headlights and a color matched grill to rid the front end of all the chrome! It helped but there was still more to be done!

0 (2).jpg

Not long after that I decided to lift the truck. I did some reading and wrongfully(long story) decided on Icon coil overs for a lift, Icon AALs and Bilstein 5160s in the rear. With the coil overs installed and set to max adjustment per Icon techs I was still super low in the front end so I decided to throw on 1/2" top plate spacers which got me where I needed to be. With the added lift came 35 inch Toyo RTs and wheels but instead of doing the plain black and white scheme I decided to change it up! I browsed through countless wheels and when I saw the Method 312s I knew they were the ones! But what color? Bronze looked so cool but I wasn't sure how they would look on a white truck...... Oh well! I decided to give it a shot and have loved it ever since! I also threw on some ecoological bumpershellz to hide the rest of the hideous chrome!

untitled-1-2.jpg

As mentioned before I had previously ran a Softopper on my Tacoma. I loved them Softopper due to their lifetime warranty, the ability to have a bed cover but also be able to quickly fold the cover down or be easily removed for an open bed. So I decided to get another for the tundra and decided this time to go with a tan topper to go with the bronze wheels!

untitled-2.jpg

untitled-1-3.jpg

Last edited: