Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

I've had my Jet Boil Flash going on four years. It gets used every day when out adventuring and often gets packed to go along on hikes, canoe and bike rides, and fishing, etc.

It has always bugged me that it wobbles right at the connection to the fuel canister. The way the fuel valve and adjustment bail fits into the base of the burner allows the wobble. Mine's been that way since new, no matter how tight the connection from burner to fuel canister.

Older Jet Boils--that had legs of a sort built in to the burner casing--are far more stable. Newer ones (or perhaps just certain models without those legs) that just taper to the connection like mine, are well known among users to have 'the wobble.'

It feels sloppy and like it could potentially weaken the connection over time. The cup shakes when its contents are boiling. The wobble is even more apparent when using the larger Companion Cup or pot support and a pan.

A camping buddy recently showed me an easy fix, and it doesn't cost a dime.

You'll need:
- a plastic lid from a jar of peanut butter or similar. I used one the kids had from some sort of Gelato treat.
- drill bit and tapered bit, or utility knife

jetboil-hack_6919-800.jpg

Drill a pilot hold dead center in your lid, then use a tapered bit to drill it out to fit the ring on your fuel canister, as shown below. The lid I used already had a manufacturing divot dead center, so it made it easy.
Double check your fuel canister before drilling, though the canisters I have are 1.25".
You can use a utility knife to hack out a hole, though drilling will make a much cleaner and better fit.

jetboil-hack_6917-800.jpeg...jetboil-hack_6922-800.jpeg
Try the fit on your fuel canister. A good snug fit lets you keep the lid on the fuel canister when storing.

jetboil-hack_6923-800.jpeg
Once you have the fit the way you like, measure the width of fuel adjustment bail on your JetBoil.
Cut a section out of the edge of the lid, as shown above. I made mine 1.25" wide. This allows the adjustment bail to operate freely.
You can cut the entire screw edge off, if you like, and just use the remaining flat disk. Or start with a flat piece of plastic and cut the hole. Though I like the raised lid edge because it will make it far less likely to be misplaced or lost.

Snap it back on your fuel canister and screw on your JetBoil burner and cup.

It will now be rock-steady.

jetboil-hack_6931-900.jpeg

This was one of those "Well hell, why didn't I think of that!" moments.

So simple, so easy.

If your JetBoil wobbles, this should work for you.