Jerry Can, Rotopax, etc. which do you like?

• HTML tutorial

soonersfan

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Oklahoma City, OK
First Name
Phillip
Last Name
McIntosh
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5LTZ
I have rotopax (2&4 gallon + 2 gallon h20) because I got a deal on craigslist. The slim profile is nice for mounting but it’s still just an overpriced gas can. If space or mounting options aren’t an issue, there are for more cost effective options, including Jerry cans.

Titan Tom

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate I

Los Angeles
Member #

They are cool if you can find a deal. I like the rotos better because the space savings. Plus they look better. 5 gallon anything id heavy to plug on your ride. These rotos cone with brackets so you can put couple of 2 gal stacked or side by side. If buy more of their gear but their price point is a bit ridiculous.

Sent from my SM-N950U using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: Wawa Skittletits

SDRover

Rank I

Enthusiast I

San Diego
Member #

I bought 4 of the 2 gallon Rotopax for the LR4. What I like about them is they are easy to transport and store and they are leak proof. What I don't like is how the handles are situated and how expensive they were. Given the chance, I probably would have gone a cheaper route! Hope that helps.

Kingdaddy

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Northeast Georgia
Member #

Thanks for the inputs. I think I may go with the Jerry cans, because of the price point. Also something I have noticed is that a lot of the rigs that I seen pics of with rotopax, is that they are carrying 2 maybe 3 fuel pax which is about the same weight. But ultimately I always have to help my money make it farther also not just the ride, right.

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
I went with Rotopax because the gas/water cans were going in my basket and I wanted to keep a lower profile because of branches/downed trees. It’s also easier to get less weight down off of the roof and because I went with multiple 2 gallon cans of each if there was ever a problem with one I’d only lose 2 gallons max. Another reason was that I used CAD to lay out my basket plans and the Rotopax fit like a glove. Here’s a pic of just 1 gas and 1 water.

0E12D51C-7843-47D4-AD02-B9D5433E094E.jpeg

Rotopax are definitely pricey but there are deals to be had out there. I was patient and I got all new stuff, not that new matters, over time for an incredible deal. Group buys, eBay, sales, etc... In the end it’s a ‘to each their own’ thing and I wish you luck with whatever you end up with.

Tex68w

Rank IV
Launch Member

Influencer II

Victoria, Texas
Member #

I've always had Jerry cans in the past, I am going with Rotopax this time around. The price is a bit disgusting, but they are superior in most ways. I will be looking for deals and sales to acquire mine.

Reactions: DangerBear028

BCBrian

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Boulder Creek, CA
Member #

You can find the Rotopax on sale to lessen the blow. They even offer 'blems' for a discount that have minor cosmetic issues.

I went for the 4.5 gal size because it works perfectly on my homemade rack. The weight is manageable but if I had a basket rack, I would definitely use the smaller size and stack them as needed.

IMG_4716.JPG

Reactions: soonersfan

soonersfan

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Oklahoma City, OK
First Name
Phillip
Last Name
McIntosh
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5LTZ
I used CAD to lay out my basket plans

View attachment 44570
You have reached the highest level of overland nerd. If I were proficient in CAD, I’d probably be working to get to that level too. Instead I just try a million different configurations till I get it to work. I’m looking for a way to carry a larger propane tank. Do you mind sharing what kind of bracket and what size tank you have on your rack?

Reactions: Wawa Skittletits

KAWR_4x4

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

New York City
Member #

Rotopax are cool and all. They look really nice and the way you can stack them is awesome. Also the tire rack looks really really cool. I got all of mine stolen in Washington though ajaja. Looking back I shouldn't have ever bought them! They are too expensive. Now I run 2 midway jerrys for a total of 10 gallons of fuel and I couldn't be happier. If you want that much fuel from your gas container with rotopax you'll have to spend $$$.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
You have reached the highest level of overland nerd. If I were proficient in CAD, I’d probably be working to get to that level too. Instead I just try a million different configurations till I get it to work. I’m looking for a way to carry a larger propane tank. Do you mind sharing what kind of bracket and what size tank you have on your rack?
Hahaha thanks. All in the name of minimal space wasted.

If you check out the build thread link in my sig the custom 1 gallon propane tank setup should be detailed there. If you have any further questions please feel free to ask there or DM.

jeepnjeff

Rank II

Enthusiast III

I carry two 20L (5.28Gallons) NATO Jerry cans. They are lined (this is important so they don't rust internally) and made by ValPro in Latvia. When I bought them, they were $40 each. Cost and size was a big contributing factor.

Cort

Rank VI
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Grand Rapids
First Name
Cort
Last Name
Beard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD8GQL
I didn’t like my rotopax at all. They are well built with quality components however real world use stinks.

They swell making it damn near impossible to remove from the bracket without smashing your hands.

The nozzle is stored inside the can so it will be covered in gas, and your hands will be too.

The spring loaded epa nozzle is a pain to use.

I moved on to Wavian brand NATO Jerry cans for fuel and Sceptre US military water cans.

If they were easy to get I would use the US military Sceptre Jerry cans but they are too hard to find on the legit open market.

Reactions: Will Macia

Titan Tom

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate I

Los Angeles
Member #

I didn't think about that swelling! I was thinking to get one to. Thx! you saved me about $200. I have two old school Jerry cans one for water and one for gas but i can't find a nozzle for the gas tank. At least not one that's not part plastic.

Sent from my SM-N950U using OB Talk mobile app

HKLover

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Ohio/Tenn
First Name
John
Last Name
Shanower
Member #

My Hi-Lift Jack mount and Rotopax carrier are one of the modular accessories offered by Maximus-3 that are for their Jeep JK spare tire mount. It works well located where it is and makes use of the space between the spare tire and the hi-lift jack very well. If I want, I can remove the jack and stack one more Rotopax on it. I will probably get a few 4/5 gallon Rotopax once I get my roof rack (again by Maximus-3).

Will Macia

Rank IV
Launch Member

Contributor III

Camas, WA
I didn’t like my rotopax at all. They are well built with quality components however real world use stinks.

They swell making it damn near impossible to remove from the bracket without smashing your hands.

The nozzle is stored inside the can so it will be covered in gas, and your hands will be too.

The spring loaded epa nozzle is a pain to use.

I moved on to Wavian brand NATO Jerry cans for fuel and Sceptre US military water cans.

If they were easy to get I would use the US military Sceptre Jerry cans but they are too hard to find on the legit open market.
Ditto on the swelling and having a molotov cocktail hand afterward. I'm still using mine but looking to replace.

ArkansasDon

Rank V
Launch Member

Member I

I'll take the Rotopax fuel containers over jerry cans hands down. Some one mention about pressure build up, they are no different in that situation when storing gas for your yard equipment in typical gas cans. You have to let the pressure out. This is only during the hot summer days of the year. When "I" do not use my Rotopax's, I store them w\o fuel ( I am NOT into showing off bling on my trailer or vehicles), when not in use. These are only mounted on the trailer & vehicle when in use only. I make it habit to release the pressure daily when in use.
Someone else mention theft, the solution to any thing that can be stolen is "lock it up", that is how our society is today. Everything has to be secured. If it isn't welded in place, nail down, locked up, bolted down, or in concrete it will be stolen. People do not have respect others anymore, they rather steal your stuff than for them to go out & work for it like normal folks do.

Last edited:

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
I'll take the Rotopax fuel containers over jerry cans hands down. Some one mention about pressure build up, they are no different in that situation when storing gas for your yard equipment in typical gas cans. You have to let the pressure out. This is only during the hot summer days of the year. When "I" do not us my Rotopax's, I store them w\o fuel ( I am NOT into showing off bling on my trailer or vehicles), when not in use. These are only mounted on the trailer & vehicle when in use only. I make it habit to release the pressure daily when in use.
Someone else mention theft, the solution to any thing that can be stolen is "lock it up", that is how our society is today. Everything has to be secured. If it isn't welded in place, nail down, locked up, bolted down, or in concrete it will be stolen. People do not have respect others anymore, they rather steal your stuff than for them to go out & work for it like normal folks do.
Exactly. Rotopax even states that you need to vent them daily which admittedly is a little involved when they’re flat on the roof. As far as theft goes in my picture you can see the locking T handles. The annoying spout that comes with gas cans can easily be swapped out for the vented water spouts. Yes you have to touch something that touched gas but if that’s such a big deal I know I carry nitrile gloves (EMR) in my vehicle and if I cared it wouldn’t bother me to put a pair on.

Reactions: ArkansasDon