Jeep onboard running water system.

• HTML tutorial

Contributor III

Hey there. I am building an onboard water system for my Jeep JKU. I already have the pump, filters, hoses, fittings etc all necessary components except for the tank.

I am an automotive engineer so I have already been thinking about several solutions.

I’m thinking about one of the front runner tanks, I have head people like the 13 gallon slant tank from front runner for behind the rear seat. Just worried about poor fitment and being disappointed with the amount of interior space it takes up..

I have a dual air compressor and tank mounted in the empty space between the frame rail and rear driveshaft so I’m thinking of having the exhaust shortened to before the axle and another muffler installed with a down turn/ side dump then the space gained from removing the stock muffler will allow me to mount a tank and skid plate

I do not want to carry water on the roof rack (for what should be obvious reasons)

What do you guys think? Any suggestions are welcome!

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

You're talking about removing the transverse mounted muffler that is immediately behind the rear bumper and replacing it with a tank?

Than turning the exhaust out the side of the jeep immediately in front of the rear tire?

Sounds like a solid plan to me, although I think I would build the tank out of stainless and use an exhaust routing to the rear (Magnaflow rock crawler or similar), in which case the worst happening is you have warm(er) water. I would however make sure there is a drain and clean bung on the tank.

My experiences with exhaust in front of the rear tires have not been entirely pleasant, and I prefer to keep exit as far away from the passenger cabin as possible. Idling/stuck with exhaust that close is a no go for me.

Jason Shelby

Rank VII
Investor

Creator III

Lexington, Henderson County, Tennessee, United States
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Shelby
Member #

Service Branch
TN National Guard
There is an aftermarket gas tank that mounts in that location, it requires metal fan work to remove the storage area/subwoofer area in the floor of the rear cargo area. Can’t find the link I saved, but best I can remember it was about 20 gallons, that would be a good amount of onboard water.

Overland True North

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Girard, OH, USA
First Name
Don
Last Name
Cur
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1DON
Hey there. I am building an onboard water system for my Jeep JKU. I already have the pump, filters, hoses, fittings etc all necessary components except for the tank.

I am an automotive engineer so I have already been thinking about several solutions.

I’m thinking about one of the front runner tanks, I have head people like the 13 gallon slant tank from front runner for behind the rear seat. Just worried about poor fitment and being disappointed with the amount of interior space it takes up..

I have a dual air compressor and tank mounted in the empty space between the frame rail and rear driveshaft so I’m thinking of having the exhaust shortened to before the axle and another muffler installed with a down turn/ side dump then the space gained from removing the stock muffler will allow me to mount a tank and skid plate

I do not want to carry water on the roof rack (for what should be obvious reasons)

What do you guys think? Any suggestions are welcome!
You said: I do not want to carry water on the roof rack (for what should be obvious reasons)
May I ask what the obvious reasons are before I buy the Front Runner water jerry cans and dual holder for the top of my jeep. They would be affixed to the GOBI rack. I see many Overlanding Vehicles with water and fuel stowed topside... Your experience and thoughts might help me.

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Relocate the muffler, build a tank with a pipe going through the middle to mount the exhaust pipe to.. like Bruce said.. warmish water. :laughing:
But your plan does sound like it will work well as long as you don't drop the rear end on a rock or ledge and smash the tank, but even so at least it's just water you are losing and dumping on the ground.

You said: I do not want to carry water on the roof rack (for what should be obvious reasons)
May I ask what the obvious reasons are before I buy the Front Runner water jerry cans and dual holder for the top of my jeep. They would be affixed to the GOBI rack. I see many Overlanding Vehicles with water and fuel stowed topside... Your experience and thoughts might help me.
Weight, water weights 8.4 lbs per gallon. Just 5 gallons is an additional 42lbs.
Better to keep weight low, especially if you already have a RTT up top.

Reactions: Overland True North

Lowmpgcj5

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Irmo, SC
First Name
Tyler
Last Name
Graves
Member #

Read theksmith thread on offroad passport. lots of good ideas in there. I'm copying some for my 2 door.

USStrongman

Rank V

Influencer II

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hildebrand
Member #

Some other considerations.

I have the AEV rear bumper. It is available with a plumbing kit that attaches both pods together then has a handpump that mounts in the drives side pod. Love mine and easy to fill. Remove the pump when driving and replace with cap. Reinstall for use. You do not need to use/buy the tire carrier, but that pod is the one that is plumbed by AEV and will have a sealed hole where the mount would normally go. I have an OEM AEV stamped MOPAR bumper that came with my Winter Edition. It did not have the plumbable pods. I bought the 2nd link and it took about an hour to install.

The "OEM" plastic rear bumper is a solid unit, minus a couple of small drain holes. It can be tapped, filled and plumbed with a pump or by gravity. Holds about 7 gallons.