Launch Member

Member II

Orange, Ma
First Name
William
Last Name
Domey
Member #

I was wondering if anyone here has overlanded in a Jeep Liberty. I had a liberty and did a little overlanding with it.

RadioRick

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Springfield, OR, USA
First Name
Rick
Last Name
Iverson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7NB
Service Branch
Army
I know the Wrangler crowd loves to bash on Libbys, but I had one as a work vehicle with a mild lift and Duratracs and took it in to some really tough spots with a not insignificant load and found it quite capable. I fond my JK challenging space wise for overlanding so I would imagine a Libby would be an exercise in restraint to pack.

Jeepmedic46

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Orange, Ma
First Name
William
Last Name
Domey
Member #

I had a 04 liberty. Only mods I did to it was put front shackles on it. Couldn't afford a lift for it. It was very reliable and went where it was pointed. Now looking for a older wrangler without much luck. I enjoy seeing pictures of beefed up libertys

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

I had a 04 liberty. Only mods I did to it was put front shackles on it. Couldn't afford a lift for it. It was very reliable and went where it was pointed. Now looking for a older wrangler without much luck. I enjoy seeing pictures of beefed up libertys
I love the new "boxy" Liberty KK's, the ones that are a return to the Lib's Cherokee roots. I'm seriously considering one as an eventual replacement for the CR-V when it finally kicks the bucket.

Owasco

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

1336 Bellview HTS Locke NY
Member #

Had an 05 Liberty Renegade that I bought new. Used it for camping, hunting, towing a trailer. It's only real limitation was ground clearance. It had skid plates and they got a work out. A bit small, but 1 or 2 people wasn't bad with gear. Kept it for 13 years, would still have it but it was totaled in a car accident. Loved that vehicle.

luchaDor

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Urbandale, IA 50323, USA
First Name
Doran
Last Name
Else
Member #

We have an '08 KK Liberty...we quite enjoy it. I'm a big fan of the fold flat passenger seat that my XK (Commander) lacks. Ours has been great.

Mathes

Local Expert Massachusetts, USA
Launch Member

Explorer I

Norton, Massachusetts, USA
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Robinson
Member #

I'd have to say, the worst thing about libertys is that no one makes off road parts for them. There is only 1 winch bumper on the market for them and it's about $1000 not including shipping I believe, it's beautiful but I can't drop that. And finding anything else also sucks... It's a tough time for libertys

Reactions: Jeepmedic46

Jeepmedic46

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Orange, Ma
First Name
William
Last Name
Domey
Member #

I'd have to say, the worst thing about libertys is that no one makes off road parts for them. There is only 1 winch bumper on the market for them and it's about $1000 not including shipping I believe, it's beautiful but I can't drop that. And finding anything else also sucks... It's a tough time for libertys
There are a couple of lift kits out there for the Liberty. I had a 04 it went a lot of places stock. They are a good overlanding platform.

Jeepmedic46

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Orange, Ma
First Name
William
Last Name
Domey
Member #

I just

I have a 2012 so it's a wee bit harder to find parts. You can fine then....just not easily... And not cheaply
It’s to bad there weren’t more aftermarket parts for the Liberty. It is a good vehicle. Needs a little more clearance though.

Mathes

Launch Member

Explorer I

First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Robinson
Member #

It’s to bad there weren’t more aftermarket parts for the Liberty. It is a good vehicle. Needs a little more clearance though.
If it had solid axels it would be perfect! Once you put a lift/level on it, you get like 10 in. Which isn't bad but you're not doing any big rock crawling. I can't complain about it though. I love my liberty

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
I'll be your huckleberry! I have an 04, 3" lift, locked rear, full skids, roof rack, I have crawled over things that hung Cherokees and others, I got a narrower footprint than most and fit better in many places.......Most work is fab work as noted, zero aftermarket parts or very few...... I love the Libby, the whole reason I got it was to carry my survival gear in the back as I roam the desert and mtns alone many times (try not to go alone but hey it happens) and if need I can survive for days or hike out.... But my Libby is full and when I camp I load that baby good. Got a trailer and was going to build it and do the RTT on it but now I traded a Harley for a Cherokee (more room to carry stuff LOL) and wil build a sleeping platform with storage under, the wife will wheel the Libby...

I love to see people roll their eyes when they see what I drive then they come and complement it and am amazed at how good she does, My Libby crawls like a goat! Looks stock almost but will surprise ya!IMG_4628aAvatar.jpgLibby.jpgP1050659-M.jpg

Mathes

Launch Member

Explorer I

First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Robinson
Member #

I'll be your huckleberry! I have an 04, 3" lift, locked rear, full skids, roof rack, I have crawled over things that hung Cherokees and others, I got a narrower footprint than most and fit better in many places.......Most work is fab work as noted, zero aftermarket parts or very few...... I love the Libby, the whole reason I got it was to carry my survival gear in the back as I roam the desert and mtns alone many times (try not to go alone but hey it happens) and if need I can survive for days or hike out.... But my Libby is full and when I camp I load that baby good. Got a trailer and was going to build it and do the RTT on it but now I traded a Harley for a Cherokee (more room to carry stuff LOL) and wil build a sleeping platform with storage under, the wife will wheel the Libby...

I love to see people roll their eyes when they see what I drive then they come and complement it and am amazed at how good she does, My Libby crawls like a goat! Looks stock almost but will surprise ya!View attachment 109716View attachment 109718View attachment 109722
She's a beaut

Jeepmedic46

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Orange, Ma
First Name
William
Last Name
Domey
Member #

I love to see people roll their eyes when they see what I drive then they come and complement it and am amazed at how good she does, My Libby crawls like a goat! Looks stock almost but will surprise ya!View attachment 109716View attachment 109718View attachment 109722
She’s a beaut, What type of roof rack is that?

Jeepmedic46

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Orange, Ma
First Name
William
Last Name
Domey
Member #

I did a lot with my Liberty. Can’t find to many of my pictures. They were on photobucket snd I can’t access the account C814D0E9-3B80-4960-A6F9-F975EB8D5676.jpeg

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
Yep OME and Bilstein shocks, hockey pucks, 3/8 spacers. I also bought JBA upper control arms once the stock ones were toast. I got 30", I won a set of tires ans was going to put 32" on and do the hammer thingy but the wife said she dont want it any higher so I ended up selling the tires..... She flexs pretty good, no rear sway but I keep the front in.
Flexin.jpg