Rank V

Influencer II

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hildebrand
Member #

I like how Jeep tasks AEV (wheels) and Maximus (bumpers), to design and build parts, again... but branded Jeep. Missed the RTT market with this idea. The rear box is illogical for mountain biking, but def could see it being useful for long excursions.

Reactions: Downs

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

I like how Jeep tasks AEV (wheels) and Maximus (bumpers), to design and build parts, again... but branded Jeep. Missed the RTT market with this idea. The rear box is illogical for mountain biking, but def could see it being useful for long excursions.
Looks like a Mopar steel bumper with a Maximus grille guard. The wheels are off the shelf items, not too sure how much "tasking" took place as much as funds on a credit card to pimp zee ride

Reactions: grubworm and Downs

USStrongman

Rank V

Influencer II

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hildebrand
Member #

Looks like a Mopar steel bumper with a Maximus grille guard. The wheels are off the shelf items, not too sure how much "tasking" took place as much as funds on a credit card to pimp zee ride
That bumper was made by Maximus several years ago. It has interchangeable upper tubes from slightly bent back versions, light mounts and stingers. It is stamped Maximus when youu buy it from them, MOPAR when it comes from Jeep. End caps are removable too. All Maximus design. The wheels are AEV Borahs with a proper beadlock, but AEV offers them with a beauty ring as well to meet DOT. Those wheels will never be available from the factory, at least not as beadlocks.

Jeep took as many styling and aftermarket ideas from the 10 years of JK development and incorporated them into the JL/JT lineup. Not a lot of creativity when you let someone else (aftermarket) do the R&D then copy it for yourself (FCA).

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

That bumper was made by Maximus several years ago. It has interchangeable upper tubes from slightly bent back versions, light mounts and stingers. It is stamped Maximus when youu buy it from them, MOPAR when it comes from Jeep. End caps are removable too. All Maximus design. The wheels are AEV Borahs with a proper beadlock, but AEV offers them with a beauty ring as well to meet DOT. Those wheels will never be available from the factory, at least not as beadlocks.

Jeep took as many styling and aftermarket ideas from the 10 years of JK development and incorporated them into the JL/JT lineup. Not a lot of creativity when you let someone else (aftermarket) do the R&D then copy it for yourself (FCA).
So you're saying Maximus built the 10th Anniversary bumper for FCA? I didn't know that, but it is what came on my Hard Rock and what I put on my JT because the steel bumper was blocked out from ordering when I placed the order.

I don't know that I would slag FCA too heavily, they have done a better job of giving the consumer what they want to buy than any other manufacturer in the North American market across the board on road and off. Ford is playing catch up doing the best they can to knock off the Wrangler without getting sued, GM hasn't even tried, Toyota apparently has not yet retired 10 year old R&D costs yet because their stuff is unchanged/unimproved for quite some time now.

In reality all of them are in cost competitive markets, and none of them manufacture a significant quantity of components in house. Wheels are always outsourced just like frames, differentials and myriad sub-components, so I really wouldn't expect them to be burning the midnight oil creating one off prototypes for a concept vehicle when off the shelf stuff will do what they need it to do (which is look good on splash pages and stimulate conversation)

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Toyota is scared to innovate. Because every time they do, they get closer and closer to Ridgeline.

They'll need a seriously American R&D team, to move the right way.

Reactions: bgenlvtex

USStrongman

Rank V

Influencer II

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hildebrand
Member #

So you're saying Maximus built the 10th Anniversary bumper for FCA? I didn't know that, but it is what came on my Hard Rock and what I put on my JT because the steel bumper was blocked out from ordering when I placed the order.

I don't know that I would slag FCA too heavily, they have done a better job of giving the consumer what they want to buy than any other manufacturer in the North American market across the board on road and off. Ford is playing catch up doing the best they can to knock off the Wrangler without getting sued, GM hasn't even tried, Toyota apparently has not yet retired 10 year old R&D costs yet because their stuff is unchanged/unimproved for quite some time now.

In reality all of them are in cost competitive markets, and none of them manufacture a significant quantity of components in house. Wheels are always outsourced just like frames, differentials and myriad sub-components, so I really wouldn't expect them to be burning the midnight oil creating one off prototypes for a concept vehicle when off the shelf stuff will do what they need it to do (which is look good on splash pages and stimulate conversation)
And I simply disagree. Prototypes USED to be about innovation. Not so much any more. Remember Orange County Choppers? Zero innovation, just open a catalog, press send, open boxes, charge a premium for flashy paint and absurd labor hours. Innovation in the American automotive scene died in the 60's. Ford's sad attempt is just that. IMO, Toyota makes a superior product, but its not my style.

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

And I simply disagree. Prototypes USED to be about innovation. Not so much any more. Remember Orange County Choppers? Zero innovation, just open a catalog, press send, open boxes, charge a premium for flashy paint and absurd labor hours. Innovation in the American automotive scene died in the 60's. Ford's sad attempt is just that. IMO, Toyota makes a superior product, but its not my style.
It's just a trim package.

I remember going to auto shows in the 60's and 70's and the manufacturers going all in on prototype models, I understand where you are coming from. I suspect no small percentage of that going away is directly attributable to nanny state government regulations surrounding, emissions, crash, etc.. It doesn't make sense to spend a ton of money on a prototype, or to spend tons and tons of money certifying everything for a concept.

I don't disagree that things are different now, I'm just not as concerned with off the shelf utilization. Reality is some significant percentage of consumers would buy a vehicle, take of the expensive factory bead locks and hang some kind of Rockstar 20's on it anyway. People change stuff just because they can and want to be different and more times than not install inferior products simply because they fit budget or get 99 days same as cash.

Louiston

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

USA
First Name
Lou
Last Name
N/A
This is just a copy of what Expedition Overland built with their Gladiator last year, PCOR box and all, LOL

They probably called up Clay for a parts list. :smile: Certainly no R&D on FCA's part. Just aftermarket bolt on pieces. And the Jeep design team did "Diddly Squat".

Last edited:

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
Ford is playing catch up doing the best they can to knock off the Wrangler without getting sued,
Sued by who?

This is just a copy of what Expedition Overland built with their Gladiator last year, PCOR box and all, LOL

They probably called up Clay for a parts list. :smile: Certainly no R&D on FCA's part. Just aftermarket bolt on pieces.
I'd imagine when they get sponsored by a million companies and companies like Toyota and Jeep that part of the deal is the company can rip off whatever they want from their ideas of a build.

Louiston

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

USA
First Name
Lou
Last Name
N/A
Sued by who?
GM will being sueing Ford because the Bronco hurt the Blazers feelings, LOL

Hopefully it will all be OK, as GM will be getting a participation Trophy because you can't have winners and losers, ya know!

I'm a Toyota guy .......................... but Ford knocked it out of the park with the Bronco!

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: grubworm and Downs

LostWoods

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
lastname
Member #

Feels like it was built by someone who would never actually use it and just wanted to bolt on a bunch of cool stuff. The front rack with only 4 gutter-mounted legs (two of which are on the removable freedom panels) and bikes up that high making it 11 ft tall are dead giveaways. I mean I'd struggle to get a mountain bike up there when I was fresh let alone after a ride and I'm over 6ft.

Louiston

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

USA
First Name
Lou
Last Name
N/A
FCA the people whose vehicle they are knocking off.
That is as far a stretch as I've ever heard of ............. in my entire life, LOL.

Ford just re-introduced a new, up to date version of a vehicle they built years/decades ago. It's called competition among manufacturers.

Is Ford going after the Wrangler market? Absolutely! And probably some of the Toyota market too.

A knock off, not even by the farthest stretch of anyone's imagination (except yours).

Last edited:
Reactions: Downs and bgenlvtex