Issues with rear body sway

• HTML tutorial
D

danbrown

I have a 2020 Jeep Gladiator with a 2 1/2” lift running 37s. Since adding a full height Rebel Off-road XPLOR rack and a roof top tent I’ve noticed a considerable amount of sway. Especially when cornering on the road at speed (created some major pucker factor at times).

I’ve solved the road sway by switching to a Hellwig sway bar. It made a huge difference.

The next thing to tackle is the jostling back and forth recovery when driving off road. For this I’ll upgrade my shocks to something that is adjustable so I can stiffen them when on rough trails.

I’m looking at the Falcon SP2 3.3 piggy back adjustable shocks, but I’m open to suggestions and curious what a others are running.

Thanks - Dan

Attachments

North American Sojourner

Rank VI

Influencer I

Mid-Missouri, MO, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Zimmer
Member #

Service Branch
USN (ret)
You describing this as sway or roll? With the lift, and the tires your center of gravity has climbed. An adjustable shock may help in the compression stroke as you corner but a spring sets ride height and should hold it there. Tough call.
Zim

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Your description of the cornering is Body Roll. Sway bars, aka "anti roll bars" or "stabilizer bars" control this as well as shocks. Yes, the helwig system helps this. Be aware, heavier sway bars also effect spring rate when one wheel moves diffrent from the other. You can actually end up with poor ride quality and less wheel travel if you go too big. This is why people disconnect the front sway bar in dirt.

Something else to check is your rear panhard bar. It has to be flat. Not close to flat. The front panhard has to match the draglink (steering) angle. These are things that will also help your handling on and off road. Quite a few of the lift kits don't address this properly.
If the rear is not correct, what you will feel is the rear pushing slightly to the side on dips from the rear out of line. Very noticeable on the freeway. This by the way is "sway". Interestingly "sway bars" don't control this. I raised my cruiser 2 inch's and it was scary over 65mph
The front will be "bump steer". The steering turns slightly on dips. this will be noticeable on larger dips.