Issue with ARB fridge screw-in plug. Please help.

• HTML tutorial

BizzyB

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Englewood, CO 80112, USA
First Name
Brandon
Last Name
Baecker
Member #

I have the ARB screw-in style socket that came in their wiring kit (ARB-10900027). Now that I have an ARB Zero fridge, I want to replace my current Blue Sea 12v outlet with the ARB one so I can secure it. Problem is, it is not working the way it is supposed to. I unscrewed the cigarette lighter section on my cord that came with my ARB fridge. I can plug the 2 prong plug into the ARB socket. However it will not screw into the ARB socket because there are not enough threads in the socket and the plug bottoms out before it can engage the threads. It cannot be pushed in any farther. I've used a ton of force. The screw on portion just spins and never tightens. I don't know if I have a fluke bad outlet or a bad plug, but both are ARB products and are supposed to screw into each other to secure. They do not. Wondering if anyone has heard of this issue before I start re-ordering the parts I have. I can no longer exchange so I'd have to order new parts.

Last edited:

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Hi Brandon,

You are talking about this combination of socket/ plug, right?

Kühlboxen_ARBStecker.jpg

Bjoern

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Strange, I've been using this combo of an Engel Posi-Fit style plug and the ARB outlet for years and it fits perfectly. And you can not really do anything wrong, right? Just unscrew the front part of the plug, then this fits because of this small plastic nose only in one position in the socket, plug in and screw. When I'm at the rig later, I look at that thingy again and maybe I have an idea about it then. I'll get back to you later.

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
So, I just looked at it in my rig. I just have to plug it in and screw it down, that's it. Take another close look at the plug, maybe something is stuck? Or please show a photo here, maybe someone has an idea then/ it will be clear what is not working.

KonzaLander

Rank VI

Traveler II

Junction City, Kansas, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0EBF
I replaced a 12v outlet with the same ARB plug kit. It has been a few years, but I do remember that the plug did NOT initially want to screw on. If I remember correctly, I trimmed or smoothed something and it then went on easily.

The plug is keyed and will only fully seat one way. If you are not paying attention it is easy to miss. As a matter of fact, I just went out to my vehicle to inspect the plug for any possible threading issues and initially tried to plug it in upside down :laughing:

Overland True North

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Girard, OH, USA
First Name
Don
Last Name
Cur
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1DON
IMG_3503.JPG

Your plug should look like this....The socket should have a male key that will fit in the channel at the 6 o'clock. once lined up you have to push the plug in until it stops then screw the outer sleeve to keep the plug in the socket. If they are not compatible you might want to make sure the socket isn't like a cigarette lighter socket possibly. Otherwise I would check for debris in the contact holes and the like.

Reactions: El-Dracho

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
I had a the same issue with mine, missed the key orientation first time, and also had to push the connector in a bit extra firm (once I had it right way round of course) to get it to seat fully. Best part is it has been a year and no more issues with plug backing out on washboard roads

BizzyB

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Englewood, CO 80112, USA
First Name
Brandon
Last Name
Baecker
Member #

Thanks for all the suggestions. I had tried everything, and the plug only goes in one way. It would slot in but would not thread, and no amount of force was getting it in any further. I went to the local shop who sold me my fridge and they had another outlet. They swapped it out for me and the new one didn't have the issues. Threaded on super easily. Same part, and they looked the same. One worked, the other didn't. I guess I just got a bad one. Working great now with the new outlet!

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
The HD version of the Deutsch connector is rated for 25 amps and will accept up to 12 ga wire. 25 amps is equal to 300 watts, more than I have ever seen my ARB pull at start up. however if i recall correctly the ARB power cord comes with 10 gauge wire which will not fit in the connector according to the listing. (12 gauge automotive wire will pull 25 amps up to just under 6 feet, while the 10 gauge will go a bit over 9 feet) I have been running the ARB screw in 12 volt receptacle for a long time and have never had an issue with connectivity or it coming loose. Just have to unscrew the cig lighter adapter off the ARB cord and screw it in.

jimmyjamson

Rank I

Contributor III

Switzerland
First Name
jack
Last Name
austin
I have the ARB screw-in style socket that came in their wiring kit (ARB-10900027). Now that I have an ARB Zero fridge, I want to replace my current Blue Sea 12v outlet with the ARB one so I can secure it. Problem is, it is not working the way it is supposed to. I unscrewed the cigarette lighter section on my cord that came with my ARB fridge. I can plug the 2 prong plug into the ARB socket. However it will not screw into the ARB socket because there are not enough threads in the socket and the plug bottoms out before it can engage the threads. It cannot be pushed in any farther. I've used a ton of force. The screw on portion just spins and never tightens. I don't know if I have a fluke bad outlet or a bad plug, but both are ARB products and are supposed to screw into each other to secure. They do not. Wondering if anyone has heard of this issue before I start re-ordering the parts I have pool deck resurfacing st augustine fl. I can no longer exchange so I'd have to order new parts.
Hello, I am currently in the process of rearing the bed of my Tacoma for an ARB fridge. After looking at the 12v socket I came to the conclusion that it is not a secure enough connection. Does anybody have a good weatherproof connection that can handle the amps the fridge needs? My understanding is that upon startup the fridge reaches about 30 amps. I've used Deutsch connectors before and love them but worry that the intial high amp draw will fry the connector due to the fact they are not rated for that many amps.