New Orleans, Louisiana
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Gauthreaux
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W5AZA
Thanks for the Post. What are yall's thoughts on Winches? Name Brands like Warn vs Cheap ones? Looking for info and Ideas.

4xFar Adventures

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Benefactor

San Francisco,CA
First Name
Brenton
Last Name
Corns
Member #

My advice is to never skimp on cost when it comes to recovery equipment. A lot people think that a winch is something they may only use once a year and therefore shouldn't drop good money on one. The problem you can run into with a cheapo product is when you really need it to work, it may not. Things like winches like to be used. It gets the oil moving around to lubricate gears. Your winch should have a catalog of replacement parts. Why spend $300 on a winch that has to be tossed when it stops working, when all you need is a $25 part? Warn and Superwinch are great winches. If you can't afford a new one of those, look at buying a used one. They are easy to service, and parts are readily available for them.

Wildmanreed

Rank IV

Advocate III

Dallas, Georgia, United States
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Reed
Member #

Thanks for the Post. What are yall's thoughts on Winches? Name Brands like Warn vs Cheap ones? Looking for info and Ideas.
As someone who has operated a few different winches DO NOT go with a cheap winch if you plan on being on a trail more than twice a year. One winch I see over looked a lot is Ramsey which is what we used on our tow truck at the shop I worked at loved those winches. But Warn, Superwinch, and smittybuilt make high quality winches.