Interstate 5x8 Enclosed Multi-Use Trailer | OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY

Interstate 5x8 Enclosed Multi-Use Trailer

• Hi Guest, you may choose a LIGHT or DARK theme that works best for you with the "Style Chooser" button at the bottom left on this page!
  • HTML tutorial

socal geek guy

Rank III

Contributor III

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Walker
Member #

i saw about a month or so ago a folding bed frame on amazon that i thought would be a good alternative to buiding a be frame out of wood. with the price of lumber, i figured it would be probably pretty similar in costs and with the metal frame from amazon, it would be easier to fold up and take out when i need to used it for other purposes. i did have a friend who had purchased the same bed frame and he said it was pretty decent.

i thought it over for a little over a week and when i saw that it had gone on sale, i decided to give it a try. one of the repeating things i saw in the reviews was to be careful of the cross support rods as they can catch on the mattress fabric and tear it. i had some spare canvas, so i cut some strips and wrapped the ends of the frame where the cross support rods were welded to the rest of the frame as a way to help prevent any kind of tearing. it is nice that there are two sections to the frame. i can set up one half and use it as a couch with the folding mattress, then use both sections as a bed. it feels pretty sturdy and i can tell my dog is going to love that he will be able to look out the window easily.

the one thing that i found out is that the plastic totes i keep all my stuff in are too tall to fit under the bed frame. i will end up going to find and buy new totes to fit underneath the bed, so its not the end of the world.

Attachments

socal geek guy

Rank III

Contributor III

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Walker
Member #

went on a little overnight to the big bear area this weekend. temps got down to the low/mid 30's overnight and i'm very happy with the insulation in the trailer. i had my mr buddy heater ready to go if it got really cold, but didn't have to fire it up. there was a point around 1 am where it was noticeable enough of a temperature drop that it woke me up, but all i had to do was fully zip up the sleeping bag and i was good.

was nice to see the changing colors of the trees up in the mountains, something we don't really see in the coastal areas of southern california. felt good to get out even if it was only for an overnight trip.

Attachments

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

A couple of weeks ago I thought of your build. There was a 8X12 UTV trailer they enclosed it with vertical plywood sheets. Cut some windows out with a screen on the inside, hinges on the outside with locks to keep the covers open . They used the fold down gate to roll the quads inside. The inside had 3 sheets of plywood about 1/2 way up hinged hanging with chains. 2 sheets length, 1 across the back, They formed a floor for a living area /storage above. The top and bottom had their own set of doors for access. Basically a 2 story trailer.The top shelf was build out for living the bottom was for hauling the UTVs, and camp storage. There was a latter to get into the top section. I thought yours looks so much more comfortable and well thought out. The shoe box shape with a clear seal was pretty ugly too.
Your trip looked like a good time, you should be proud of your work.

socal geek guy

Rank III

Contributor III

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Walker
Member #

thanks for the compliment, i am pretty happy with the trailer. i wouldn't be surprised if more people do this as it really it practical and more cost effective than a lot of the teardrop trailers on the new and used market right now. i know i've said it before, but its made me really appreciate the ability to use the trailer for more than one thing and i feel like i'm getting more use out of it than if i would have bought a teardrop that is only setup for camping.

something else i am currently obsessed with at the moment is finding a good deal on a yamaha tw200, which i think will be a good size motorcycle for me and would fit in the trailer fine. i'm not in a hurry, but i am actively looking around to what is out there. if i get a tw200, i'll have to figure out a good way to setup the trailer to put the bike and my camping gear inside.