International Shipping Discussion

• HTML tutorial

Sparky

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

San Jose, California
Member #

A recent discussion with @Jeff Graham got me thinking that it might be nice to collect resources, strategies, and other tactics available to travelers when shipping items across international borders. This may pertain to auto parts and technical items such as personal computers or camera equipment to necessary personal affects.

Although every country is different, this could also serve as a valuable resource for both trip-planning and real-time help for those in need. Thoughts and experiences with the process will help educate the community to some of the challenges involved as well. Any thoughts?

Reactions: Luis Merlo

Sparky

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

San Jose, California
Member #

I suppose I'll start this off and see where it goes.

My father lives in Baja California Sur, Mexico. According to him there is no equivalent to the types of services offered by the USPS that American's are familiar with. He uses a 3rd party logistics company called Postall out of San Ysidro/San Diego. Items are shipped to Postall, who then transport them through customs and across the border to one of multiple distribution offices throughout the peninsula. He's on a yearly plan but it looks like they offer one-time services as well. If the value is under $300 then there is no customs fee, over and the item is charged a 16% tax.

I do not know at this time whether or not they offer an expedited service, but it'd be a good place to start if someone finds themselves in need of something stateside. Here is the link for their website: http://www.postall.com.mx/index.php